Ice Racing - suggestions?

Ahaze

Reaction score
I’m going to be taking my truck for laps on an ice racing track (the frozen lake in Georgetown, CO if you’re familiar) and am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions for how to set it up. Tire pressure? 4 High or auto? Lockers? Drive mode? when in doubt, flat out? Etc.

I’ll be on stock tires so it’ll definitely be squirrely. I have autocross and track experience as well as dirt track racing, so I’m at least familiar with some fundamentals, but ice is new for me. Lastly it’s for fun, I’m not looking to keep up with the Audi’s on studs.

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 39
I'd definitely run air pressure at mid to upper 20s. 4x4, but auto may be more of a challenge depending upon ice surface.... smooth, rough, snow packed.

You can't run lockers or you'll never make a corner without tearing shit up.

You could always chain up, but your speed will be limited to whatever manufacturer says.

You get going 50 mph+ and drift into hard packed snow, you can roll it. Seen it done! I'd probably wear a helmet!

I’m going to be taking my truck for laps on an ice racing track (the frozen lake in Georgetown, CO if you’re familiar) and am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions for how to set it up. Tire pressure? 4 High or auto? Lockers? Drive mode? when in doubt, flat out? Etc.

I’ll be on stock tires so it’ll definitely be squirrely. I have autocross and track experience as well as dirt track racing, so I’m at least familiar with some fundamentals, but ice is new for me. Lastly it’s for fun, I’m not looking to keep up with the Audi’s on studs.
Sounds bad a$$ - my suggestion would be give it hell 🤘

Tires will make the biggest difference. Good luck on stock.

not that many frozen lakes in NYC but that sounds frickin badass!!!

great photo for 2024 ZR2 calender

@Ahaze I seen the track last year and thought "that would be fun" lol. Let me know how it goes if you do it here soon. I'll give it a go too

Reactions: AXE
10/10 would recommend!! I was the biggest boy out there (subis, Audis, Mitsubishi, taco, Porsche dakar & lambo) It surprisingly kept up but it was all for fun. Best settings I found was 4auto with traction and stabilitrak off… then hammer down. If I was on a trail or not on a designated course I would probably do it differently and take it slow, but here it was just fun to get it sideways. Only issue was needing to crank the steering wheel a lot. Almost ran continually for 3 hours and it just wanted more.

Attachments

• IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Arctikhana Video 480p.mov
    8.6 MB

Bring skates.

Most Member Reactions

Back