Is 1500 ZR2 Alternater -> Variable Voltage Alternator?

sardarjee

Reaction score
Does any body know if the alternator is a Variable Voltage Alternator?

If your asking because you want a larger alternator. Chevy has a larger 220amp that's included in the max tow package. Ours is 170amp. We can't order a ZR2 with a tow package, But the alternator comes with the package on other refreshed trucks. The 220 amp one should work on a ZR2 also.

If your asking because you want a larger alternator. Chevy has a larger 220amp that's included in the max tow package. Ours is 170amp. We can't order a ZR2 with a tow package, But the alternator comes with the package on other refreshed trucks. The 220 amp one should work on a ZR2 also.
I am not going to use a trailer so I am guessing that 170 amp may be good enough.

I am guessing the Bed AC outlet (400W) is Pure Sine and not a Modified one.

I tried using the blender (AC 110V - 175 W) with on truck's bed AC outlet and it worked without any issue. Also basic voltmeter shows 110V.

Does anybody know for sure if it is Pure Sine and/or if there is any other way to confirm it?

Reactions: AXE
I am guessing the Bed AC outlet (400W) is Pure Sine and not a Modified one.

I tried using the blender (AC 110V - 175 W) with on truck's bed AC outlet and it worked without any issue. Also basic voltmeter shows 110V.

Does anybody know for sure if it is Pure Sine and/or if there is any other way to confirm it?
I have no idea...but, I would think GM installs the cheapest converter they can find. Most of what's plugged into them would not require a pure sine wave anyway.

Well I will be doing some tests in next couple of weeks. So let's see what the outcome is.

I have an oscilloscope at home I’ll check it this evening when I get home from work and see what It looks like. Hmm or not as I’m typing this I realize that it’s only rated up to 32V…🤦‍♂️

I have an oscilloscope at home I’ll check it this evening when I get home from work and see what It looks like. Hmm or not as I’m typing this I realize that it’s only rated up to 32V…🤦‍♂️
Oh ok. No worries. Thanks.
I had tested after watching this YouTube video and my multimeter displayed about 110V.

Last edited:
Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back