K&N Oil Catch Can PN:81-0804

Captain Tuttle

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new K&N Oil Separator for a 2024 6.2? Here’s a link to the product:

K&N’s oil catch can

Their website says up to 2023 but not 2024. I really like the construction of the hoses and connectors on this one vs the J&L catch can.

Thinking about going for it and trying it since not much changed under the hood from 2023-2024. Hoping someone has already tried it.

My question is do you need 1 or 2? The set ups I've seen in the past only pull from one side of the engine, due to the hose position. I've seen more complicated kits that involve more hoses which connect to both sides...

Has anyone tried the new K&N Oil Separator for a 2024 6.2? Here’s a link to the product:

K&N’s oil catch can

Their website says up to 2023 but not 2024. I really like the construction of the hoses and connectors on this one vs the J&L catch can.

Thinking about going for it and trying it since not much changed under the hood from 2023-2024. Hoping someone has already tried it.
Buy the J&L. many of us on the forum have this one and it's built great...very high quality. Corsa has these guys make theirs too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

K&N’s oil catch can

Looks pretty nice. K&N makes quality products, so I'm sure it will work well.

My question is do you need 1 or 2? The set ups I've seen in the past only pull from one side of the engine, due to the hose position. I've seen more complicated kits that involve more hoses which connect to both sides...

No you do not, it's a solution in search of a problem. The amount of oil making it through the new design is laughably minimal. while the direct injection does increase the carbon build up behind the valves I've talked to enough GM mechanics to know it's nothing to worry about.

None of the manufacturers install any form of these Ronco add on's and for good reason. I'll do anything if I think it's advantageous for my engines like buying overpriced boutique oils and filters. but they aren't going to hook me on the can nonsense.

No you do not, it's a solution in search of a problem. The amount of oil making it through the new design is laughably minimal. while the direct injection does increase the carbon build up behind the valves I've talked to enough GM mechanics to know it's nothing to worry about.

None of the manufacturers install any form of these Ronco add on's and for good reason. I'll do anything if I think it's advantageous for my engines like buying overpriced boutique oils and filters. but they aren't going to hook me on the can nonsense.
All that may be true, but my Denali with the same engine had major issues at 65k miles. Along with the transmission and a/c, the engine took a dump. The dealer told me to replace the injectors because one was bad and that's why the motor ran like it was about to blow up. I did it myself and found the valves were crusty with char. Of course with all new injectors, there was no change... I dumped that piece of crap. Whether that build up was the cause or something else was to blame, that build up is real.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I agree the J&L is a solid choice with a great reputation.

I have prior experience with supercharged and turbo engines in Audi, BMW & VW so I am very informed on the affect of blowback and crankcase vapor fouling intake valves on DI engines. This usually doesn’t become an issue until the miles add up on the engine and by then most power train warranties have expired. Then it becomes the owner’s problem not the manufacturers. I think the bean counters know this and over ride the engineers.

You are a bit misguided my friend. An OCC is very advantageous for any DI engine which has been proven time and time again. As @Captain Tuttle stated, they are not included due to bean counters and it's also something that 99% of the population would fail to or forget to empty on regular intervals.

Engineering Explained, on YT, does a great job evaluating the advantages of a catch can. He's an automotive engineer.

With that being said , I think most engines will go 100 K before any valve caking is noticed by the owner. Many trade well before the 100 K mileage.

I don't know of any American built V8 engines that use two PCV systems, Sometimes called the " hot side" .

My friend has an Outback, DI , with 110K on the odometer. His wife runs cheap grocery store fuel, 85 octane, and it stills runs OK. I imagine it has lost power, but it is so gradual that an owner doesn't notice it until the valve doesn't seat.

I like a catch can & use them. I'm no professional mechanic anymore, though.

This has been beat to death on my TRX forum as well, and nobody has provided any proof a can is needed there either.

Most of us want to do what's best for our vehicles, and that makes us susceptible to carpetbaggers selling magic elixirs. the notion that the engineers that design these engines are either too stupid or too cheap to add a $10 device to save them is the standard sales pitch. and that customers are too dumb or lazy to empty the device anyway is reason enough not to install one.

some say even if it's not needed it's not going to hurt anything so why not, and that's the best argument in favor I've heard yet.

Good point. The TRX uses multi - point injection still like the good old days, LOL. I don't think any MOPAR except the new inline 6 "Hurricane" , uses direct injection.

My friend who has a 392 CI, Hemi in his Wranlger, put a CC on it. For some reason he gets more oil in his catch can than I do with DI. Go figure? I didn't think he would get any oil from a multi - point system.

I was skeptical at first, did my research and decided that if it helped the longevity of the engine at all so I installed one. After I emptied the can the first time I am convinced it was the right thing to do for a DI engine. You can get away with out one on any fuel injection system that washes the backside of the valves.

Before the redesign there were some issues, no more . old information dies hard.

Like I said before, a can isn't going to hurt anything. just don't be surprised if my engine lasts as long as yours. and it puts money in the can salesman's pocket so you can't say nobody wins. if you ask he can probably set you up with some fuel line magnets to align the molecules for better performance too.

This is going to end like these always do, never. so I give up.

Before the redesign there were some issues, no more . old information dies hard.

Like I said before, a can isn't going to hurt anything. just don't be surprised if my engine lasts as long as yours. and it puts money in the can salesman's pocket so you can't say nobody wins. if you ask he can probably set you up with some fuel line magnets to align the molecules for better performance too.

I saw a 27.2% improvement in fuel mileage right after I installed my magnets.....

I have used this product on 3 different highly modified corvettes, 1 chevy half ton 6.2, a jeep with the Pentastar. These work very, very well. Not to get into the weeds however, the catch can is not just to catch oil! This one is large enough so that it also catches unburned fuel, and condensation which is a real problem many have no idea about. This is what would come out of mine and there is quite a bit of condensation that got captured vs returning to the engine. This was on my truck--yes made a mess in the driveway but needed a good pic. The other is a before on my Z06 C7 before the catch can. I checked it several times after install and there was no more oil on the bricks or intake. The before picture was with only 2500 miles on the car.

Several people make these now and some are snake oil as they do not work very well. You pay for what you get! I have over the aforementioned vehicles have about 200k using this product specifically.

1709750739060.jpeg
1709751176743.jpeg

You can redesign all you want but a direct injector is always below the valves in the block and not getting washed by the fuel.

some say even if it's not needed it's not going to hurt anything so why not, and that's the best argument in favor I've heard yet.

This is my thinking. It might help, but it definitely doesn’t hurt. And if I can keep some oil and gunk out of my engine I don’t mind draining a small can periodically.

Idk if it will help in the long term, my truck might get totaled or blow the engine tomorrow, but I feel a little better for trying to take care of it today.

Most Member Reactions

Back