Leveling Kit and wheel spacers

Prometheus

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my ZR2 should be here next week and I am wanting to do a few things right away but I have heard mixed responses to leveling kits and wheel spacers. The particular thing I am hearing is that both of these mods mess with the way the Multimatic shocks work. I am wanting to do a 1.5" level to make it truly level and 1" spacers just to give it a bit of poke instead of the tucked look. Has anyone done either/both of these mods and actually driven with them? I greatly appreciate any feedback! If these won't mess with the shocks negatively I will be doing both in the first week of ownership, as well as tint all around.

Personally, I know I’m in the minority here but I’m not touching the front suspension without changing out the upper control arms. I’m hesitant after my TB arms failed and finding out the ZR2 uses the same ones.

Personally, I know I’m in the minority here but I’m not touching the front suspension without changing out the upper control arms. I’m hesitant after my TB arms failed and finding out the ZR2 uses the same ones.
I'd prefer to not mess anything up as well lol. So does that mean we need to wait until they come out with ZR2 specific upper control arms?

I'd prefer to not mess anything up as well lol. So does that mean we need to wait until they come out with ZR2 specific upper control arms?
All I can say is mine broke in a Walgreens parking lot. Thankfully, it wasn’t 5 minutes earlier on the interstate. Then finding out the original dealer that had it has put a RC leveling kit on it after I almost lost my warranty (thankfully they admitted it) has really made me reluctant to change anything or to at least ask if it’s ok first.

All I can say is mine broke in a Walgreens parking lot. Thankfully, it wasn’t 5 minutes earlier on the interstate. Then finding out the original dealer that had it has put a RC leveling kit on it after I almost lost my warranty (thankfully they admitted it) has really made me reluctant to change anything or to at least ask if it’s ok first.
Yeahhh I'd rather not take that risk. Guess I'm waiting too!

Hey everyone, my ZR2 should be here next week and I am wanting to do a few things right away but I have heard mixed responses to leveling kits and wheel spacers. The particular thing I am hearing is that both of these mods mess with the way the Multimatic shocks work. I am wanting to do a 1.5" level to make it truly level and 1" spacers just to give it a bit of poke instead of the tucked look. Has anyone done either/both of these mods and actually driven with them? I greatly appreciate any feedback! If these won't mess with the shocks negatively I will be doing both in the first week of ownership, as well as tint all around.
I can tell you that in order to have 1“ spacers you’ll need to trim a couple of centimetres off your lug studs as 1“ spacers aren’t long enough to be flush with the tips of the lugs. Unless you‘re getting new wheels and they have some kind of gap or space for your poking out lug tips, then your OEM wheels, or the majority of wheels won’t fit on the 1” spacers with out the trim. I currently have 1.5” spacers on my truck with Method 703s with zero offset and there’s way, way to much poke. I’m getting my lug studs shortened next week to fit my 1” spacers and get them closer to a reasonable fitment, and to stop rubbing so much. Before I got my aftermarket wheels and tires I had the 1.5” spacers on the OEM wheels and tires and they looked great, with only a slight amount of rubbing. Some guys say they get no rubbing at all with 1.5“ spacers, it’s somewhat unique per truck.
Also, don’t get a puck style leveling kit, as it fucks up the geometry for the upper control arm and the spring. Use a bottom based bracket to get any lift as it doesn’t effect the geometry so much.

I can tell you that in order to have 1“ spacers you’ll need to trim a couple of centimetres off your lug studs as 1“ spacers aren’t long enough to be flush with the tips of the lugs. Unless you‘re getting new wheels and they have some kind of gap or space for your poking out lug tips, then your OEM wheels, or the majority of wheels won’t fit on the 1” spacers with out the trim. I currently have 1.5” spacers on my truck with Method 703s with zero offset and there’s way, way to much poke. I’m getting my lug studs shortened next week to fit my 1” spacers and get them closer to a reasonable fitment, and to stop rubbing so much. Before I got my aftermarket wheels and tires I had the 1.5” spacers on the OEM wheels and tires and they looked great, with only a slight amount of rubbing. Some guys say they get no rubbing at all with 1.5“ spacers, it’s somewhat unique per truck.
Also, don’t get a puck style leveling kit, as it fucks up the geometry for the upper control arm and the spring. Use a bottom based bracket to get any lift as it doesn’t effect the geometry so much.
Still be careful with the bottom based bracket kit. It’s better but trust me not foolproof.

Thank you for the info, I have always heard that the pucks don't mess with things as much... either way, I am going to wait until there's more support on these trucks. It will be staying stock for a while!

It’s definitely the right call. Smokey0844 sounds like he absolutely knows what he’s talking about, so I defer to his experience. I too am going to wait for some officially sanctioned lift or leveling kit as to not risk anymore than I already am by running 1.5“ spacers. I’m hoping some ZR2 aftermarket support starts soon. Not being able to mod safely is pretty annoying

Chevy puts out their own leveling kit with the high angle upper control arms, I think its an 1-1/4" level. I only saw one pricing of about 800.00 but if its from Chevy the pricing should be the same across the board. Eventually when I can use 8 benji's this is the route I will take, not putting my Diesel ZR2 at risk trying to save money. Great forum, I like the knowledge base of info.

If you are still in the market for wheel spacers let me know. I have brand new 1.5' spacers that I am looking to get rid of. I decided to go another route so they are just sitting in my garage.

I put on 1in spacers, 2in level and uppers from rough country and could not keep it in alignment and it rubbed like hell on left front wheel well. I pulled them all off and went back to stock for now. I hate it because the truck looked totally badass with all that done. Guess I'll be waiting as well for a proper kit to come out. Thought I could get away with it since control arms are the same as other trucks like a trail boss. I dont think you can really do a level without better control arms.

So I know this an older post but there is currently a 1.5 inch leveling kit specific to the zr2 . It comes with new control arms and spacers. I was looking to level out the truck sooner than they came out with the kit so instead I actually lowered the ass end of the truck to match the front. Just took out factory lifting blocks and replaced them with new 1" blocks and new u-bolts . If you do however , plan to put bigger tires on the truck it will need a lift to accommodate unfortunately. Wish Chevy would have made the zr2 stock to fit 35's but oh well .
Screenshot_20230216-121857.png

I took the gamble and today put on 35x12.5 r18’s with spacers. Needed a little trimming but I’m extremely pleased with the stance and aggressive look.

How it holds up, we’ll find out.

Attachments

• 2C85FD0F-AE42-4F6E-811F-288BD31C0C9B.jpeg
    2C85FD0F-AE42-4F6E-811F-288BD31C0C9B.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 0A9DE53F-7849-4939-B8D5-522AC087C943.jpeg
    0A9DE53F-7849-4939-B8D5-522AC087C943.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 333
I took the gamble and today put on 35x12.5 r18’s with spacers. Needed a little trimming but I’m extremely pleased with the stance and aggressive look.

How it holds up, we’ll find out.
Keep us updated on how much rubbing there is. I’m getting a 1” lift and new upper control arms and hopefully that gives me room for some 315/70R17 I have my eyes on. I currently have some 285/70R17 with 1” hubcentric spacers and I have some very mild rub on both rear sides of the wheel wells.

Keep us updated on how much rubbing there is. I’m getting a 1” lift and new upper control arms and hopefully that gives me room for some 315/70R17 I have my eyes on. I currently have some 285/70R17 with 1” hubcentric spacers and I have some very mild rub on both rear sides of the wheel wells.
So far minimal rubbing only while full tilt in reverse. Should be fine with a little more minor trim.

I’ll post if anything noteworthy comes up.

I’m interested in MPG hit after those. Looks great

I just did a couple days of mixed city and freeway driving with my Methods and Toyos 295/70/R18 tires that weigh 97.5 lbs. I was still getting 14-16 mpg with a few hard roll ons thrown in.

I had to trim a lot on my setup. Method 305 NVs are 18x9 -18 offset. No way I could run without trimming.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back