Lifter Issues?

Yes Sir. Give it a shot. By putting it in L9 it will also disable the dreaded auto stop as well.
So if you go to L10 the cylinder de-activation will kick in? Crazy question, I know. The Ram's don't operate at all in the "L" side. I haven't noticed any sort of light on the dash coming on. But I haven't driven mine in the "D" mode at all.

So if you go to L10 the cylinder de-activation will kick in? Crazy question, I know. The Ram's don't operate at all in the "L" side. I haven't noticed any sort of light on the dash coming on. But I haven't driven mine in the "D" mode at all.
I my 2019 and 2021 RAM Limited, putting it in TOW/HAUL Mode disabled the MCDS. Does the ZR2 do that too, or only putting it in L9 or below?

I my 2019 and 2021 RAM Limited, putting it in TOW/HAUL Mode disabled the MCDS. Does the ZR2 do that too, or only putting it in L9 or below?
I'm not sure as I've never tried it. I'm at 200 miles right now. A more experienced owner will have to answer that question. This is my first Chevy truck since the 1976 I had LOL. I had 3 Dodges / Ram, and an F 150. All were really good trucks. The Ford was flawless, for as much crap as you hear about Fords. There is several oil field Guys on my street and all have Fords. They say they work great. Go figure.

I'm not sure as I've never tried it. I'm at 200 miles right now. A more experienced owner will have to answer that question. This is my first Chevy truck since the 1976 I had LOL. I had 3 Dodges / Ram, and an F 150. All were really good trucks. The Ford was flawless, for as much crap as you hear about Fords. There is several oil field Guys on my street and all have Fords. They say they work great. Go figure.
I am at 287 miles😂 If I can avoid this lifter issue, I will do my best to do so using "L" until an aftermarket device comes out to eliminate it. With all of the issues GM is facing with this engine, you would think they would do an OTA to disable it until they can figure this crap out:unsure:

I am at 287 miles😂 If I can avoid this lifter issue, I will do my best to do so using "L" until an aftermarket device comes out to eliminate it. With all of the issues GM is facing with this engine, you would think they would do an OTA to disable it until they can figure this crap out:unsure:
I wish they would make the 6.6 Liter Lt engine available in a 1/2 ton truck. That engine is void of this crap. But it would kill sales of the 6.2L. I've read that Lingenfelter Performance is putting superchargers on these now. That would mean that they figured out the way around this Global 2 code issue. I'll bet Edge Products is working hard on developing a Pulsar for our trucks.....I hope.

I wish they would make the 6.6 Liter Lt engine available in a 1/2 ton truck. That engine is void of this crap. But it would kill sales of the 6.2L. I've read that Lingenfelter Performance is putting superchargers on these now. That would mean that they figured out the way around this Global 2 code issue. I'll bet Edge Products is working hard on developing a Pulsar for our trucks.....I hope.
I could be wrong, and hope so, but I thought I heard just because you disabled the DFM, it doesn’t definitely solve the lifter issues. Sure it helps by reducing wear on them, but does not completely eliminate the problem. Is this true?

I could be wrong, and hope so, but I thought I heard just because you disabled the DFM, it doesn’t definitely solve the lifter issues. Sure it helps by reducing wear on them, but does not completely eliminate the problem. Is this true?
Where did you hear that from? If the lifter issue is caused by the cylinder deactivation, and putting in "L9" disables it, then one would conclude that it eliminates the issue...assuming that L9 totally eliminates the AFM :unsure:

Where did you hear that from? If the lifter issue is caused by the cylinder deactivation, and putting in "L9" disables it, then one would conclude that it eliminates the issue...assuming that L9 totally eliminates the AFM :unsure:
See #12 post on this exact thread

Pretty sure I’ve seen some other forums people had the pulsar LT installed and still had the lifter failure. Again, sure it helps, but not 💯 foolproof I don’t think

Pretty sure I’ve seen some other forums people had the pulsar LT installed and still had the lifter failure. Again, sure it helps, but not 💯 foolproof I don’t think
I installed the pulsar LT on my 21 trail boss after the first 1,000 miles and had lifter failure at 18,800 miles. Supposedly the 21 had a bad batch of lifters so I upgraded to the ZR2. I guess we will see, I love the truck so I hope I can rely on it.

I installed the pulsar LT on my 21 trail boss after the first 1,000 miles and had lifter failure at 18,800 miles. Supposedly the 21 had a bad batch of lifters so I upgraded to the ZR2. I guess we will see, I love the truck so I hope I can rely on it.
Unfortunately, there are many with a 22 with the lifter issue so it wasn't solved moving from a 21 to a 22😞

Last edited:
And how do you he's correct?
That’s not what you asked…you asked where someone may have heard that, just pointing you to the very thread where you asked the question as an example. I’ve heard others state examples where DFM/AFM was disabled and still had the failure as well. I’m not in this for a debate, just attempted to answer your question

That’s not what you asked…you asked where someone may have heard that, just pointing you to the very thread where you asked the question as an example. I’ve heard others state examples where DFM/AFM was disabled and still had the failure as well. I’m not in this for a debate, just attempted to answer your question
Understood...with all due respect, I'm not looking for someone to point out what I already read in a thread...I am looking for someone that may have an answer versus speculation. I read numerous articles (>5) late last night on-line after Google searching from several mechanics, and another from GM, that stated this was caused by AFM/DFM, in addition to what they felt was a bad batch of lifters from 2019 - 2021 and nothing more. Was hoping we had someone close to the subject on the forum that could shed additional light on 2022 and 2023 model year. We all know it's happening to the 2022's...has anyone with a 2023 had a failure of this type yet? I'm not in this for the debate either...just looking for additional "facts" and not conjecture.

Understood...with all due respect, I'm not looking for someone to point out what I already read in a thread...I am looking for someone that may have an answer versus speculation. I read numerous articles (>5) late last night on-line after Google searching from several mechanics, and another from GM, that stated this was caused by AFM/DFM, in addition to what they felt was a bad batch of lifters from 2019 - 2021 and nothing more. Was hoping we had someone close to the subject on the forum that could shed additional light on 2022 and 2023 model year. We all know it's happening to the 2022's...has anyone with a 2023 had a failure of this type yet? I'm not in this for the debate either...just looking for additional "facts" and not conjecture.
Scoggin's Dickey Chevrolet does a lot of performance work. They have a complete kit and video for eliminating the cam & lifters in these engines. Their kit replaces all the parts associated with both forms of cylinder de - activation. So their kit replaces the cam, lifters, valley cover, and any solenoids involved. Also the PCM has to be flashed or replaced, can't remember. The lifters are totally different than the ones we have in our trucks. I'm going off memory here. The video is informative and will show up on their web site. These folks know their stuff. Most dealers these days don't seem to be into performance. I think most sales are more SUV / Hybrid units. Some smaller dealers that I spoke with here in Colorado didn't really know what the ZR2 was! They mostly sell working vehicles, farm ranches, etc. I'm an old V8 Guy from the 60's and I'm not interested in any of this Hybrid / electric equipment. Anyway check it out.

Scoggin's Dickey Chevrolet does a lot of performance work. They have a complete kit and video for eliminating the cam & lifters in these engines. Their kit replaces all the parts associated with both forms of cylinder de - activation. So their kit replaces the cam, lifters, valley cover, and any solenoids involved. Also the PCM has to be flashed or replaced, can't remember. The lifters are totally different than the ones we have in our trucks. I'm going off memory here. The video is informative and will show up on their web site. These folks know their stuff. Most dealers these days don't seem to be into performance. I think most sales are more SUV / Hybrid units. Some smaller dealers that I spoke with here in Colorado didn't really know what the ZR2 was! They mostly sell working vehicles, farm ranches, etc. I'm an old V8 Guy from the 60's and I'm not interested in any of this Hybrid / electric equipment. Anyway check it out.
Thanks...interesting info, and sounds VERY expensive! Not sure I'd go that route solely based on cost, but I do look forward to visiting their site and finding the video. I am not an engine guy...I am an electrical engineer, so my DNA always gets me into the weeds on things like this. I love my truck and will remain hopeful that L9 is my ticket to no issues. Hopefully, someone will crack the ECU and find an easy way to disable the DFM.

Look at post 53. Do a little research on Google university, you will see some examples of failure with deactivation

Thanks...interesting info, and sounds VERY expensive! Not sure I'd go that route solely based on cost, but I do look forward to visiting their site and finding the video. I am not an engine guy...I am an electrical engineer, so my DNA always gets me into the weeds on things like this. I love my truck and will remain hopeful that L9 is my ticket to no issues. Hopefully, someone will crack the ECU and find an easy way to disable the DFM.
I've always been a nut for engines, drivelines. I used to build differentials and engines back in the carburetor days. I think the Government forcing all this crap on auto makers has caused most of these reliability issues. Unfortunately ther'es not much we can do about it, other than drive older vehicles. It's hard not to put on the worry beads about this lifter failure issue, but there are plenty of Chevy & GMC vehicles that haven't had it. I change my oil still at 3K so that and "L9" will hopefully help?

Most Member Reactions

Back