Extended Warranty

hwprouty

Reaction score
I purchased my 2022 ZR2 with 7,400 miles on it and did not purchase the extended warranty. I figured I'd be okay but after reading some of the issues folks have been having, I'm re-thinking that decision!
I think I read here somewhere that an actual GM Warranty can still be shopped for, and that is accepted at any GM Dealership? The post mentioned prices vary, but sounded cheaper than the $3200 my dealer wanted. Any help with this is appreciated!

On a side note, I think I get the reason so many of these trucks are available with low miles ( in my area anyway ). I've seen a half dozen with near the same mileage as mine, for sale with NO WARRANTY!
I did get a 6,000 mile 6 month warranty, so there is that.

When we bought our 2012 Avalanche it had 24,000 miles and came with full factory warranty, which was good because the AFM ruined the engine and Chevy fixed it for free.

I purchased my 2022 ZR2 with 7,400 miles on it and did not purchase the extended warranty. I figured I'd be okay but after reading some of the issues folks have been having, I'm re-thinking that decision!
I think I read here somewhere that an actual GM Warranty can still be shopped for, and that is accepted at any GM Dealership? The post mentioned prices vary, but sounded cheaper than the $3200 my dealer wanted. Any help with this is appreciated!

On a side note, I think I get the reason so many of these trucks are available with low miles ( in my area anyway ). I've seen a half dozen with near the same mileage as mine, for sale with NO WARRANTY!

When we bought our 2012 Avalanche it had 24,000 miles and came with full factory warranty, which was good because the AFM ruined the engine and Chevy fixed it for free.
Yes. Google it, there are a couple companies that offer GM factory warranties at a lower rate.

Your truck should still have the remainder of the original warranty on it. You can find extended warranties and $3200 sounds high to me.

I think part of the reason why you see many low mile trucks is largely due to people selling them to get into the refreshed models and not lose much money if any. It wasn’t long ago it was tough to find a truck and the used market was bringing a premium.

I too get worried seeing many of the posts, but try to remember, for every post about a problem or problem powertrain issue, there are thousands of satisfied owners who are having a great experience. Those positive experiences tend to not make it on forums to be posted. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. 😁

Also, you should be able to add the extended warranty any time, as long as your vehicle is still under the factory warranty. So there is no hurry to add it.

Do NOT buy a third-party warranty. Only buy a Genuine GM Plan. Buy from here:

You also DO HAVE A WARRANTY...you have the remainder of the 3/36 bumper to bumper that comes with all vehicles...new or used plus the powertrain warranty too!

You have till right before the 3/36
Expires to buy GM extended warranty.

Do NOT buy a third-party warranty. Only buy a Genuine GM Plan. Buy from here:

You also DO HAVE A WARRANTY...you have the remainder of the 3/36 bumper to bumper that comes with all vehicles...new or used plus the powertrain warranty too!
Great to know!
So it IS the same as my Avalanche, factory warranty is intact!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

And yes, I would not buy a 3rd party warranty...

Great to know!
So it IS the same as my Avalanche, factory warranty is intact!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

And yes, I would not buy a 3rd party warranty...
I second Knapp! Excellent to deal with and you get a GM warranty that's good at any GM dealer. Cheap insurance with the price of anything on these trucks anymore.

FWIW, we have had very good luck with third party extended warranties through our credit union. I like them because the mileage starts at the point of sale. For example, if I purchase a 100K warranty with 36K on the vehicle, the warranty is good through 136K. Typically they have cost us $2,500 and the deductible is $100, they cover everything. We have used them many times over the years with a variety of vehicles and never had an issue.

FWIW, we have had very good luck with third party extended warranties through our credit union. I like them because the mileage starts at the point of sale. For example, if I purchase a 100K warranty with 36K on the vehicle, the warranty is good through 136K. Typically they have cost us $2,500 and the deductible is $100, they cover everything. We have used them many times over the years with a variety of vehicles and never had an issue.
Have you priced out what you would pay for the GM warranty versus your Credit Union? The GM may actually be cheaper if you buy it online.

Have you priced out what you would pay for the GM warranty versus your Credit Union? The GM may actually be cheaper if you buy it online.
Yes, our experience has been the cost is the roughly the same as OEM. The difference has been the OEM warranties typically will not go past 100K, the aftermarkets start from the mileage at purchase point and typically will go up to 150K. Most of the issues we have seen with our vehicles occur after 100K. Have never had a dealer turn down our warranties.

The GM warranty I bought has a start date of the date of warranty purchase and mileage at time of warranty purchase. I had a whole 9,000 miles when I purchased my GM warranty online. It expires 8 years from the date it was purchased or 109,000 miles which ever comes first. I purchased my GM Platinum Plan extended warranty from Knapp Vehicle Service Contracts

I usually don't buy extended warranty coverage. When I do, I never buy it from the dealer I'm buying my vehicle from. This being a first year for the Global B platform and I usually keep my vehicles up to 8 years I figure it can't hurt for $1750. Auto insurance for that period of time will cost more than that.

The GM warranty I bought has a start date of the date of warranty purchase and mileage at time of warranty purchase. I had a whole 9,000 miles when I purchased my GM warranty online. It expires 8 years from the date it was purchased or 109,000 miles which ever comes first. I purchased my GM Platinum Plan extended warranty from Knapp Vehicle Service Contracts

I usually don't buy extended warranty coverage. When I do, I never buy it from the dealer I'm buying my vehicle from. This being a first year for the Global B platform and I usually keep my vehicles up to 8 years I figure it can't hurt for $1750. Auto insurance for that period of time will cost more than that.
That's interesting, thanks

I have usually purchased 3rd-party extended warranties on my vehicles and they have served me well when needed. I purchased one on my ZR2 when I bought it new since I plan on keeping it for a while. They cover most mechanical and electrical and I purchased the plan that doesn't expire based on time. Has the normal stuff warranty companies don't cover like wear items but they now exclude LED's which was the first I have seen of that.

1679927207339.png

Most Member Reactions

Back