Multiple Issues FOB and Infotainment System

TsRZR2

Reaction score
I take it everyone has these issues, but I want to list some of them and see if others experience the same.
2023 Silverado ZR2. First; best look and mechanics of any truck I have owned. That being said....

1. The FOB is now 30 percent larger. They had to make it that big so they could fit a 2 inch long key inside. (WTH) But also, there is no longer an indention where the buttons are. So every time it goes in my pocket, it gets one of the buttons pushed. I came out one morning to have the doors unlocked and windows down. Even worse; no lock back function. So if I park downtown, leave the vehicle for a few hours and at some point click the FOB accidentally, it unlocks and stays that way. I carry my keys the same as I have for the past 30 years. Never had an issue until this new MASSIVE FOB with huge buttons and no protection.

2. Where do I start with the Infotainment system? How about here; It does almost nothing correctly. If I press the voice over button and say, 'Call Bob Smith on Mobile'. I get a message that says 'I can't call Bob Smith using Apple Car Play, you will have to use Apple Car Play.' Huh? So you press and hold the button for a couple of seconds, and you get your apple car play dialog and then you can ask it to call. That seems to work.

3. Cannot voice over to get ANY radio station. Or, should I say, any radio station you want. So I say, 'Tune to 750 AM.' I get KAMA 750 Hispanic Channel in CA. Ok, so I spell it out. "Tune to 750 AM Radio Atlanta.' I get 750 the Game in Ohio. Ok, so lets just tune it manually. Hard to find the screens to get you to the tune dialog. So, lets tune it on the dashboard. Use the right left buttons till I see the radio station on the screen..... then what? I can't roll through stations that way as it seems to just be a display of what station you are on.

You can finally get yourself to a lot of things sitting still messing with it, but definitely not something I can use at 70 MPH.

Is anyone else have issues like these? It just seems to be completely overthought.

I haven’t (yet) had the infotainment system issues a lot of people seem to have, and I do have an iPhone.

As for the overly sensitive fob, I got one of these inexpensive covers off Amazon. It pops on and off easily enough and it covers the buttons, so inadvertently hitting one is greatly reduced.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use an iPhone without CarPlay(not a fan) and have no issue with calling. As for tuning to a radio station, I have had no luck there either.

With the FOB I agree. I bought a faraday cage pouch to keep mine in.

Last edited:
2. Where do I start with the Infotainment system? How about here; It does almost nothing correctly. If I press the voice over button and say, 'Call Bob Smith on Mobile'. I get a message that says 'I can't call Bob Smith using Apple Car Play, you will have to use Apple Car Play.' Huh? So you press and hold the button for a couple of seconds, and you get your apple car play dialog and then you can ask it to call. That seems to work.
Please allow me to explain how the steering wheel button works for the VOICE. If you have not paid for the On-Star data plan to get Google to function, pressing the button and letting go will not work as there is NO Google to help you...you have no data plan so no connectivity. If you get a data plan, Google Assistant will function with a quick press of the button. If you have CarPlay, you hold the button down for a few seconds and Siri will enter the scene. Totally normal what you are experiencing.

Yes, I did figure that out, and I have onstar. So I can fiddle with the system and what one will not do, the other ‘sometimes’ will.

I haven’t (yet) had the infotainment system issues a lot of people seem to have, and I do have an iPhone.

As for the overly sensitive fob, I got one of these inexpensive covers off Amazon. It pops on and off easily enough and it covers the buttons, so inadvertently hitting one is greatly reduced.

Yes, I did purchase a cover and it cut a lot of accidental presses, but still pretty bad. I went from setting off the alarm once a year with previous vehicles to having an inadvertent button press constantly. I just wish we could get the message across that a FOB needs to be the size of a quarter. A two inch long hidden key? Really? They need to problem solve that!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is your keyfob just loose in your pocket? I've never had this problem with any of my keyfobs. I even had some of the large nissan fobs with a large key in them several years back. But the way I carry mine is its on a strap connected to my belt or to a belt loop. The strap is long enough to reach my pocket but not so long the keyfob sits at the bottom of my pocket. Fob kind of sits at the top of my pocket. Might be worth a try. I carry mine in my front pocket also. I can work in my shop crawling around on a creeper, ect and I never accidently press a button. The only time that ever happens if I lean over against a ladder or something and what I'm leaning on presses it. But that's to be expected since it sits in my pocket buttons pointed out. When I walk up to the truck I actually push the buttons through my jeans.

I take it everyone has these issues, but I want to list some of them and see if others experience the same.
2023 Silverado ZR2. First; best look and mechanics of any truck I have owned. That being said....

1. The FOB is now 30 percent larger. They had to make it that big so they could fit a 2 inch long key inside. (WTH) But also, there is no longer an indention where the buttons are. So every time it goes in my pocket, it gets one of the buttons pushed. I came out one morning to have the doors unlocked and windows down. Even worse; no lock back function. So if I park downtown, leave the vehicle for a few hours and at some point click the FOB accidentally, it unlocks and stays that way. I carry my keys the same as I have for the past 30 years. Never had an issue until this new MASSIVE FOB with huge buttons and no protection.

3. Cannot voice over to get ANY radio station. Or, should I say, any radio station you want. So I say, 'Tune to 750 AM.' I get KAMA 750 Hispanic Channel in CA. Ok, so I spell it out. "Tune to 750 AM Radio Atlanta.' I get 750 the Game in Ohio. Ok, so lets just tune it manually. Hard to find the screens to get you to the tune dialog. So, lets tune it on the dashboard. Use the right left buttons till I see the radio station on the screen..... then what? I can't roll through stations that way as it seems to just be a display of what station you are on.

You can finally get yourself to a lot of things sitting still messing with it, but definitely not something I can use at 70 MPH.

Is anyone else have issues like these? It just seems to be completely overthought.
just infotainment for me.

Sorry to hear on your fob and audio issues.

I have 2022 model and so far no audio issue even after replacing long metal antenna with a short one. I don't use radio much but for what I have used, no issues. I always keep vehicle FOB in my pocket to make sure they don't part me (I love them so much lol ) and key never parted from FOB without my explicit intervention (i.e. deep button press). So far they are behaving.

For Android Auto no issues and haven't tested with Apple Car Play. Now GM has another excuse to remove them both 😁

I would suggest to reach out to dealership as both (radio and FOB) issues don't seem to fit quality of a brand new vehicle.

I REALLY wish a GM Rep would speak to why most of the vehicles, not only GM are suddenly coming out with massive FOBs. The 2 inch long emergency key seems completely unnecessary. They could make that key a quarter inch long and it would work the same way. Then make the dang buttons TINY. I want my vehicle secure. It is definitely not secure as it stands. I really don't get that if I close the door and walk away, I get an auto lock. If I crank it remotely and don't go get it within a time frame, it shuts down. But if I accidentally unlock it, it will NEVER lock itself back. I bet they would say it is a safety issue so a child doesn't get trapped in a locked car, but if the dang thing locked itself back within a short time frame there would be less chance of anyone getting inside to get trapped.

I don't really find the FOB to be large. I think maybe it's just the way your carring it? Do you wear skinny jeans? Lol

I understand why it doesn't automatically lock after you push the unlock. I've had vehicles in the past that did that. It's actually really annoying. Especially with a wife and kids. They ask you to unlock the car, but they don't open it fast enough and it re-locks itself after 20-30seconds. So then you have to go do it again. That or you unlock it from in the house. Leave the keys inside. Walk out to get something and it locks back before you get to it.

I don't really find the FOB to be large. I think maybe it's just the way your carring it? Do you wear skinny jeans? Lol

I understand why it doesn't automatically lock after you push the unlock. I've had vehicles in the past that did that. It's actually really annoying. Especially with a wife and kids. They ask you to unlock the car, but they don't open it fast enough and it re-locks itself after 20-30seconds. So then you have to go do it again. That or you unlock it from in the house. Leave the keys inside. Walk out to get something and it locks back before you get to it.
Have had my truck for over a year and never an issue with the fob.

Security guy, how do you carry your fob? Maybe I just have to get used to carrying it differently. But 30 years of carrying it the same way, only now do I have issues.

Security guy, how do you carry your fob? Maybe I just have to get used to carrying it differently. But 30 years of carrying it the same way, only now do I have issues.
I literally just toss it into my left pants pocket with my metal Ridge wallet never paying attention to what direction the buttons face. Not a single time in over a year have I experienced what you stated above. Don’t know what else to say my friend.

So I am attaching a pic of three FOBs. The left is the ZR2, the middle was my 2006 Silverado (I think), and the right is my Acadia FOB. Full disclosure; I'm in a pair of Carhart's with a wallet, knife, several pieces of miscellaneous hardware in the same pocket, so you may say, 'Well dummy, no wonder!' However, for 30 years no issue. I have the Acadia key in my pocket very often and it never happens. 8ball may be on to something. Maybe I'm too fat for my Carhart's and they are starting to react like skinny jeans! :unsure: I can tell you that I read many posts before I joined this group saying things like, 'Hey, I woke up this morning and my tailgate was down.' Well, the tailgate fairy didn't do it! You were working in the shop last night and fumbled your way into a key press and just didn't notice. As for auto lock back being annoying, why can't it be an option? I have 7 or 8 nutty options already. Who the HAIL wants their windows to roll down and unlock doors with two presses? Really? If I were in Death Valley in August I still could handle getting in a hot truck and turning on the air. Thanks for everyone's input, but the FOB should really be 30 percent smaller than the middle one in the pic.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 25
So I am attaching a pic of three FOBs. The left is the ZR2, the middle was my 2006 Silverado (I think), and the right is my Acadia FOB. Full disclosure; I'm in a pair of Carhart's with a wallet, knife, several pieces of miscellaneous hardware in the same pocket, so you may say, 'Well dummy, no wonder!' However, for 30 years no issue. I have the Acadia key in my pocket very often and it never happens. 8ball may be on to something. Maybe I'm too fat for my Carhart's and they are starting to react like skinny jeans! :unsure: I can tell you that I read many posts before I joined this group saying things like, 'Hey, I woke up this morning and my tailgate was down.' Well, the tailgate fairy didn't do it! You were working in the shop last night and fumbled your way into a key press and just didn't notice. As for auto lock back being annoying, why can't it be an option? I have 7 or 8 nutty options already. Who the HAIL wants their windows to roll down and unlock doors with two presses? Really? If I were in Death Valley in August I still could handle getting in a hot truck and turning on the air. Thanks for everyone's input, but the FOB should really be 30 percent smaller than the middle one in the pic.
Maybe it should be 30% smaller…but it’s not and nothing can change that 😉

Lol, Hey I never called you fat. But I have been around a few guys complaining about the size of their phones, keyfobs, ect. While wearing a pair of what I consider skinny jeans. So I was just tossing that out there.

My EDC stuff is actually a good amount. Has been for years. My kids joke that I have a utility belt. So I understand what you mean by you have a lot on you. I carry keys, knife, flashlight, phone, wallet, ink pen, pistol, galaxy ear buds and a tube of chap stick, lol. My phone is a Galaxy 22 Ultra with a S-pen. So about the biggest phone you can get.

You might want to consider something like this. I have a left side tux version. I've used them for a few years. I carry my pistol on my right side and that on my left. It frees up pocket space and makes carrying everything easy. That's also what my keys are attached to. Like I said before my FOB just sits in the top part of my pocket. My earbuds and stuff sit below it. So that stuff isn't getting smashed together when I move around. Seems to work well for me.

Most Member Reactions

Back