My first two issues have developed!

OK the verdict is in, it’s the driver’s side axle seal on the transfer case. Service advisor said 4 days out on the parts, so probably mid next week to get it back. In the interim they put me in a Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 2.7L “TurboMax” 4 cylinder loaner truck. Not exactly the lap of luxury but at least I can tow my boat to the lake this weekend!

Is that where the front drive shaft mates up to the transfer case? I just can't figure out where an "axle" would be on the transfer case, and I wonder why the fluid wasn't red? Front diff I could see, that would be gear lube, and it would of course have the 2 CV axle shafts.

Is that where the front drive shaft mates up to the transfer case? I just can't figure out where an "axle" would be on the transfer case, and I wonder why the fluid wasn't red? Front diff I could see, that would be gear lube, and it would of course have the 2 CV axle shafts.
Probably axle seal on gear box. Its probably gear oil. That's why it had the yellowish gold color.

Last edited:
OK the verdict is in, it’s the driver’s side axle seal on the transfer case. Service advisor said 4 days out on the parts, so probably mid next week to get it back. In the interim they put me in a Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 2.7L “TurboMax” 4 cylinder loaner truck. Not exactly the lap of luxury but at least I can tow my boat to the lake this weekend!
that sucks...how many miles??

Make sure they check your axle if it is scored from the bad seal. A new seal wont last long if thats the case

Well I got it back and it seems to be fine. They replaced the axle seal and some associated hardware with new parts. The truck was dirty when I went to pick it up because it sat in the lot while they were waiting for parts, so the service manager gave me credit equal to a wash on my account. Overall I think they did me right. That’s about it for now! :)

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back