New zr2 owner looking for upgrades

02greysixer

Reaction score
Stumbled across this forum while researching upgrades for my truck. I own a diesel shop and have been playing with diesel performance upgrades for years. With all the epa crackdowns on diesel performance i decided to get away from the new ones. Still have my compound turbo fully built lb7 duramax. They cant harrass me for that one. So I recently sold my 19 Denali 2500 and bought a 22 black zr2. I was curious if anyone on here had any personal experiences with a Whipple on our trucks?

Welcome! I LOVE my black ZR2. I don't think anyone here has done any significant, if any, engine mods, but I may be wrong. I think we're all waiting for someone to crack the ECU code so we can all play with our trucks a bit more.

This thread said one is available, here’s the link.

I haven’t looked into it.

This thread said one is available, here’s the link.

I haven’t looked into it.
I saw that thread. Didn't see any updates on it so figured I'd ask. I've been in contact with Whipple already. I'll likely order it tomorrow just figured I'd see if anyone else had done it yet

Stumbled across this forum while researching upgrades for my truck. I own a diesel shop and have been playing with diesel performance upgrades for years. With all the epa crackdowns on diesel performance i decided to get away from the new ones. Still have my compound turbo fully built lb7 duramax. They cant harrass me for that one. So I recently sold my 19 Denali 2500 and bought a 22 black zr2. I was curious if anyone on here had any personal experiences with a Whipple on our trucks?
Callaway and Magnuson have supposedly cracked the ECU as well. Magnuson requires your ECU to be shipped out, takes 2-3 weeks in Canada. The owner of my local Magnuson shop is currently putting one on his personal truck so I'm waiting to see how that turns out in the next few weeks before pulling the trigger. Might be another option for you.

The Lingenfelter/Magnuson website has not been updated yet but I've been assured this is the one.

Callaway and Magnuson have supposedly cracked the ECU as well. Magnuson requires your ECU to be shipped out, takes 2-3 weeks in Canada. The owner of my local Magnuson shop is currently putting one on his personal truck so I'm waiting to see how that turns out in the next few weeks before pulling the trigger. Might be another option for you.

The Lingenfelter/Magnuson website has not been updated yet but I've been assured this is the one.
This does not appear that it will work on the refresh 22+ trucks based on the description on their website. Sounds like 2019 - 2022 early models only. But, WOW...only $10,000 plus installation. I'll take two when they are available ;)

Last edited:
This does not appear that it will work on the refresh 22+ trucks based on the description on their website. Sounds like 2019 - 2022 early models only. But, WOW...only $10,000 plus installation. I'll take two when they are available ;)
Yeah, their website needs to be updated. My local guy said it's been cracked for the refreshed 2022's, he just wants to try it on his truck first. They will only warranty the supercharger itself of course so any damage that occurs as a result of the install is buyer beware. Callaway says they offer a full "Callaway" warranty but the closest Callaway dealer for me is around 1k miles away :(

I did not know about ligenfelter. Pretty comparable to the Whipple setup using trifecta. Whipple/trifecta must be more conservative on tuning. Unless ligenfelter is rating theirs at crank. Didn't read that far. They would be about the same then @ 525 to wheels.
10k is a lot but the diesel world has desensitized me I guess. I have that much just in turbos and injectors on my 03 duramax.

I did not know about ligenfelter. Pretty comparable to the Whipple setup using trifecta. Whipple/trifecta must be more conservative on tuning. Unless ligenfelter is rating theirs at crank. Didn't read that far. They would be about the same then @ 525 to wheels.
10k is a lot but the diesel world has desensitized me I guess. I have that much just in turbos and injectors on my 03 duramax.
lingenfelters tuning is better then whipples and honestly the magnuson is a better supercharger

I would think that most any supercharger will be 10 - 15K, installed. The TRX runs about 92K with similar options we have on the ZR2. I stated out wanting a TRX, but I didn't want to spend that much. Then I tried to find a Ram GT without "E" torque. There were none within 200 miles of me. I'm not sure how much boost one can run on our trucks due to the compression already being high?
The truck would be amazing though!!

Welcome! I LOVE my black ZR2. I don't think anyone here has done any significant, if any, engine mods, but I may be wrong. I think we're all waiting for someone to crack the ECU code so we can all play with our trucks a bit more.
Cool truck! Just bought a blacked out 23 ZR2 and love the color... when it is clean. Black is a tough color to maintain but beautiful when it sparkles.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 67
Cool truck! Just bought a blacked out 23 ZR2 and love the color... when it is clean. Black is a tough color to maintain but beautiful when it sparkles.
Ceramic coat it and you'll barely have to wash it for years and it will always look like the day it was new!

Having paint correction and ceramic coating done tomorrow. Installing an Undercover tonneau cover and a Bedrug next Monday. Enjoy that amazing ride. Thanks and have a great weekend!
Smart move...congrats my friend! I am looking at a BAK X4S...I had that on my last truck and it's low profile and worked great.

Ceramic coat it and you'll barely have to wash it for years and it will always look like the day it was new!
I have never PPF or ceramic coated my vehicles. That said I keep telling myself to.

I hate swirl marks but am also lazy and drive thru a car wash weekly. Does ceramic or PPF prevent that? I assume PPF if it’s applied earlier than the swirl marks make it on the truck? The ceramic just keeps dirt from sticking?

I have never PPF or ceramic coated my vehicles. That said I keep telling myself to.

I hate swirl marks but am also lazy and drive thru a car wash weekly. Does ceramic or PPF prevent that? I assume PPF if it’s applied earlier than the swirl marks make it on the truck? The ceramic just keeps dirt from sticking?
PPF is typically done on the front bumper and partial or full hood (many will also do mirror caps and A-Pillars). If you PPF an entire truck, you are, most likely looking at $10K. I have a buddy that owns a shop and does high-end cars and exotics all day. Just the bumper and hood could be $1000-$2000 based on how much hood you want covered and the dealer. You can do full paint correction and 5-year ceramic coating for well under $2K. I would NEVER take anything BLACK (or any dark color) through a car wash...period! In all honesty, I wouldn't take a YUGO through a car wash unless it's a NO-TOUCH car wash machine. The spinning felt washes are terrible for vehicles. They trap small particles from other cars and then scratch your paint. Ceramic puts a 9H, or a 10H coating (based on the products quality) on the vehicle to help prevent scratches and can still be polished. It is also HIGHLY hydrophobic and nothing will stick to ceramic like Teflon on a cooking pan. Bird crap will not effect it nor will it etch the clear coat since the ceramic protects the clear.

Will ceramic help protect your truck from a car wash? Absolutely! It will protect the trucks clear coat from damage. Would I drive my ceramic coated truck through a spinning car wash...HELL NO!

PPF is typically done on the front bumper and partial or full hood (many will also do mirror caps and A-Pillars). If you PPF an entire truck, you are, most likely looking at $10K. I have a buddy that owns a shop and does high-end cars and exotics all day. Just the bumper and hood could be $1000-$2000 based on how much hood you want covered and the dealer. You can do full paint correction and 5-year ceramic coating for well under $2K. I would NEVER take anything BLACK (or any dark color) through a car wash...period! In all honesty, I wouldn't take a YUGO through a car wash unless it's a NO-TOUCH car wash machine. The spinning felt washes are terrible for vehicles. They trap small particles from other cars and then scratch your paint. Ceramic puts a 9H, or a 10H coating (based on the products quality) on the vehicle to help prevent scratches and can still be polished. It is also HIGHLY hydrophobic and nothing will stick to ceramic like Teflon on a cooking pan. Bird crap will not effect it nor will it etch the clear coat since the ceramic protects the clear.

Will ceramic help protect your truck from a car wash? Absolutely! It will protect the trucks clear coat from damage. Would I drive my ceramic coated truck through a spinning car wash...HELL NO!
I LOVE a clean car. I’m probably OCD for real but never been diagnosed. That said that leads me to DIE when I see the swirl marks.

I live in Nashville. Not the coldest place but because I drive so much (45k miles a year) I constantly want a clean ride. I don’t have it in me anymore to wash my truck outside as often as I used to or as it needed it. So the car wash solves my need to clean but kills me with the swirls. I love vacuuming out the truck to keep it clean as well. Can’t find a balance. Maybe a touch less wash!

Just had paint correction and 5 year ceramic coating done yesterday. It is curing for 48 hours in doors at the detailer. I love the color black but the swirl marks drive me crazy. Unfortunately, managing swirl marks and imperfections on black GM paint is a challenge. I only hand wash my vehicles and am obsessed with keeping them clean. A trait inherited from my father... my cars are actually cleaner than his :) Enjoy your Sunday and have an awesome week!

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpeg
    IMG_0412.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 106
Just had paint correction and 5 year ceramic coating done yesterday. It is curing for 48 hours in doors at the detailer. I love the color black but the swirl marks drive me crazy. Unfortunately, managing swirl marks and imperfections on black GM paint is a challenge. I only hand wash my vehicles and am obsessed with keeping them clean. A trait inherited from my father... my cars are actually cleaner than his :) Enjoy your Sunday and have an awesome week!
Looks amazing my friend! Enjoy the new ride :love:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back