Nitto Recon Grapplers (SL)

wutang61

Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve talked to a couple of members regarding these tires and they seem like a pretty decent option for the half ton class. The recon is offered in a E range and a Standard Load or P-metric.

From what I can gather, it is the only 295/70R18 that doesn’t require a jump to 10ply and 70lbs a tire. Weight capacity is higher then than the Stock C range (LT) Goodyears. 53lbs.
Sneaky Link
IMG_2395.jpeg

They are a strong contender for my truck next year. As the “flatspot” noise from the stock GY’s seems to get worse with each passing mile. Anyone want to chime in with experiences? Aside from a slightly lower tread depth, I’ve having trouble finding downsides.

I’ve talked to a couple of members regarding these tires and they seem like a pretty decent option for the half ton class. The recon is offered in a E range and a Standard Load or P-metric.

From what I can gather, it is the only 295/70R18 that doesn’t require a jump to 10ply and 70lbs a tire. Weight capacity is higher then than the Stock C range (LT) Goodyears. 53lbs.
Sneaky Link
View attachment 8998

They are a strong contender for my truck next year. As the “flatspot” noise from the stock GY’s seems to get worse with each passing mile. Anyone want to chime in with experiences? Aside from a slightly lower tread depth, I’ve having trouble finding downsides.
i guess these wont rub on stock rim?

I have been doing a lot of research into tires lately. Glad to see you found something in the 295 class that isn’t E rated.

My top contender is the Toyo Open Country R/T Trail. The Nitto looks like a great option as well.

I've run a couple sets of Nittos. They were fine, but never as good as Toyos. Didn't ride as good or last as long.

You might want to look at the Toyo AT3s, a slight bit aggressivness on looks, but built for higher mileage and all terrain including wet and snow.

I really like the Toyo RT Trails on the ZR2 great at 80 mph and off road. Put a set on my old 2500HD and they tow heavy great. My boy has been running them on a lot of gravel roads while hunting and the edges of tread are chipping. Not sure they are as good for HD trucks due to weight of rig and softer tread.

I also like the Falken Wildpeak. Ran them on my boys Tocoma and one of the best tires for money. Some guys say they don't last as long on heavy trucks.

Last edited:
I've run a couple sets of Nittos. They were fine, but ever as good as Toyos. Didn't ride as good or last as long.

You might want to look at the Toyo AT3s, a bit aggressive on looks, but built for higher mileage and all terrain including wet and snow.

I also like the Falken Wildpeak. Ran them on my boys Tocoma and one of the best tires for money.
I love the TOYO AT3s. Great recommendation.

I love the TOYO AT3s. Great recommendation.
I've actually never run them, cause I would go to MTs due to more aggressive looks. I had really good luck with MTs, but mileage wasn't great.

I know a few guys that have run the AT II and III for over 20 years. You couldn't convince them to run anything else.

By the way, running the heavier Toyos RT Trails in 295, doesn't seem to affect this truck much for power, acceleration, and mileage. Slight bit stiffer ride tho.

I've run a couple sets of Nittos. They were fine, but never as good as Toyos. Didn't ride as good or last as long.

You might want to look at the Toyo AT3s, a slight bit aggressivness on looks, but built for higher mileage and all terrain including wet and snow.

I really like the Toyo RT Trails on the ZR2 great at 80 mph and off road. Put a set on my old 2500HD and they tow heavy great. My boy has been running them on a lot of gravel roads while hunting and the edges of tread are chipping. Not sure they are as good for HD trucks due to weight of rig and softer tread.

I also like the Falken Wildpeak. Ran them on my boys Tocoma and one of the best tires for money. Some guys say they don't last as long on heavy trucks.
whats the biggest tire we can put on stock rim without rubbing or trimming?

Reactions: AXE
Maybe 285s. I've run 285s on a lot of 1/2 ton trucks. They look good with a little more width and height.

If you have a good tire shop, have them mount one up for you. If it works, you can do it, if not, nothing lost. That's what I did with the 37s on 2500HD. I decided I need more clearance with UCAs, so no go on stock rims.

If any 295’s will fit without rubbing the recons would be the ones. The tread depth being lower means the tire itself is on the smaller side. They claim it’s the same OD as the LT version which isn’t possible given the lower tread. It’s not much but it’s measurable.

17/32 on the LT and 13/32 on the P metric. A difference of 8/32 or 1/4” in OD.

With those numbers it’s a 34.04” tire.

A 285/70 would be 33.99”

Which seems to be the redline for the T1 Silverados with the Trailboss ride height.

If any 295’s will fit without rubbing the recons would be the ones. The tread depth being lower means the tire itself is on the smaller side. They claim it’s the same OD as the LT version which isn’t possible given the lower tread. It’s not much but it’s measurable.

17/32 on the LT and 13/32 on the P metric. A difference of 8/32 or 1/4” in OD.

With those numbers it’s a 34.04” tire.

A 285/70 would be 33.99”

Which seems to be the redline for the T1 Silverados with the Trailboss ride height.
I think your right on. I think if you're around 34 and stock offset, you'll be fine.

My 295s Toyo RT Trails are about 34.5 and needed trimming for sure, especially with - offset wheels.

If you have to trim the rear plastic, don't sweat that, it's an easy job and you really don't notice it. That's where most of the rubbing will occur.

I ran the exact set of recon graps you are talking about on a 23 AT4X 1500 no fitment issues or rubbing. I had them on the stock wheels. Good combination of larger tire and weight. They are noticeably less aggressive than the E counterpart. Smaller tread blocks and smaller sidewall. I now have a 24 ZR2 2500 that I am running 37/12.50 toyo at3 on stock wheels. Again no fitment issues or rubbing.

I ran the exact set of recon graps you are talking about on a 23 AT4X 1500 no fitment issues or rubbing. I had them on the stock wheels. Good combination of larger tire and weight. They are noticeably less aggressive than the E counterpart. Smaller tread blocks and smaller sidewall. I now have a 24 ZR2 2500 that I am running 37/12.50 toyo at3 on stock wheels. Again no fitment issues or rubbing.
Well if they fit the GMC, the definitely fit the Silverado. Sierra’s wheel openings are even smaller than ours.

Post some pictures if this 37s.

I put a Toyo MT 37x13.50R18 on my 2500HD stock AEV wheels and while I had enough clearance, it was too close on the UCAs for my liking when offroading or airing down. Gonna do some - offset wheels.

Attachments

• 20231119_133858.jpg
    20231119_133858.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231119_131602.jpg
    20231119_131602.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I have been running the Recon's 295/70/18 Standard Load for 10K+ miles now. Very quiet, do not rub at all in any situation. I recommend.

My only real “concern” and follow up question to you both is how is the handling?

A 295/70 has some pretty substantial sidewalls. It of course will “Ride better” (softer would be a less subjective word for that.)

I’m curious how that translates to handling at highway or near highway speeds. I can feel the sidewalk flex and “wandering” on the stock tires at speed. Curious how a 4-ply (albeit with a higher weight cap) would translate to steering feel especially on center.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back