OEM Dash Cam?

Ponce

Reaction score
Does GM offer an OEM dash cam? If the do is it any good.
I should be getting my 2024 2500 ZR2 in a couple of weeks and am looking at adding one.

I bought the one sold in the Chevrolet Accessories page, part number 19433432. I’m happy with it. I’m sure others have their preferences for non-OEM, but you can’t get much more plug-n-play that the OEM setup.

Does GM offer an OEM dash cam? If the do is it any good.
I should be getting my 2024 2500 ZR2 in a couple of weeks and am looking at adding one.
The OEM is just "OK". Look at the Blackvue and Thinkware dash cams. If you're on a tighter budget, Viofo is excellent. I highly recommend you get something that will allow PARKING MODE. I install 2 channel cameras in all of my vehicles. www.thedashcamstore.com

The OEM is just "OK". Look at the Blackvue and Thinkware dash cams. If you're on a tighter budget, Viofo is excellent. I highly recommend you get something that will allow PARKING MODE. I install 2 channel cameras in all of my vehicles. www.thedashcamstore.com
The 2500 GM Dash Cam is a U1000 Thinkware that comes with the plugin integrated harness.

It also uses the Thinkware App.

From the GM Catalogue which BTW they are on sale 20 or 30% off. https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...4?brand=Chevrolet&categoryId=98064&bac=112295

Product Details​

Help protect yourself and your vehicle while on the road or parked with a Chevrolet Accessories 4K Ultra HD Front Dash Cam with ADAS, 32 GB SD Card and 2K Quad HD Rear Camera. The Dash Cam, also known as a dash camera, automatically records and saves video files during incidents in the 32GB SD card. Easy to control via a smartphone app, the dash cam has a wide viewing angle and two channel recording – both a front and an interior rear-facing camera. The Dash Cam brings next-generation technology. A premium Sony STARVIS CMOS Sensor provides flawless recording quality with Super Night Vision, while its embedded Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) helps you stay safe on the roads. Coupled with the new Energy-Saving Parking Surveillance Mode that extends coverage duration over previous versions, this Dash Cam is leading the charge in pushing automotive technology to the next level.​

Last edited:
The 2500 GM Dash Cam is a U1000 Thinkware that comes with the plugin integrated harness.

From the GM Catalogue which BTW they are on sale 20 or 30% off. https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/4k-ultra-hd-front-dash-cam-with-adas-32gb-sd-card-and-available-with-2k-quad-hd-rear-camera-by-echomaster®-associated-accessories-19433434?brand=Chevrolet&categoryId=98064&bac=112295

Product Details​

Help protect yourself and your vehicle while on the road or parked with a Chevrolet Accessories 4K Ultra HD Front Dash Cam with ADAS, 32 GB SD Card and 2K Quad HD Rear Camera. The Dash Cam, also known as a dash camera, automatically records and saves video files during incidents in the 32GB SD card. Easy to control via a smartphone app, the dash cam has a wide viewing angle and two channel recording – both a front and an interior rear-facing camera. The Dash Cam brings next-generation technology. A premium Sony STARVIS CMOS Sensor provides flawless recording quality with Super Night Vision, while its embedded Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) helps you stay safe on the roads. Coupled with the new Energy-Saving Parking Surveillance Mode that extends coverage duration over previous versions, this Dash Cam is leading the charge in pushing automotive technology to the next level.​

I am not a fan of devices that require you to use the OBD port for power. IMPO, there are far better options available today. The Thinkware app sucks. If you are a DIY guy looking for an easy install and don't like running wires through your vehicle to your fuse panel, this is a good alternative. If anyone does go this route with the GM version, get a 256GB SD card and don't use the 32GB that comes with it. Buy a card that meets the required specs for dash cam/video recording. A great quality 256GB SD card can be had for $30-$40 on Amazon.

As one last point, even 20-30% off on the GM unit is still expensive based on what you can get from a source like The Dash Cam Store or Blackbox My Car. There are Sony Starvis 2 units on the market now with 4K resolution that will still be far cheaper than the GM version and far better quality. Just my two cents for you all to research if interested.

Last edited:

From the GM Catalogue which BTW they are on sale 20 or 30% off. https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/4k-ultra-hd-front-dash-cam-with-adas-32gb-sd-card-and-available-with-2k-quad-hd-rear-camera-by-echomaster®-associated-accessories-19433434?brand=Chevrolet&categoryId=98064&bac=112295

Product Details​

Awesome information. Thank you

I am not a fan of devices that require you to use the OBD port for power. IMPO, there are far better options available today. The Thinkware app sucks. If you are a DIY guy looking for an easy install and don't like running wires wires through your vehicle to your fuse panel, this is a good alternative. If anyone does go this route with the GM version, get a 256GB SD card and don't use the 32GB that comes with it. Buy a card that meets the required specs for dash cam/video recording. A great quality 256GB SD card can be had for $30-$40 on Amazon.

As one last point, even 20-30% off on the GM unit is still expensive based on what you can get from a source like The Dash Cam Store or Blackbox My Car. There are Sony Starvis 2 units on the market now with 4K resolution that will still be far cheaper than the GM version and far better quality. Just my two cents for you all to research if interested.
Thank you. I am all about research.

I have this one and it's pretty awesome honestly. Can't really even tell it's there.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally, I don't like to buy off-brand Chinese crap off Amazon. I highly recommend folks look at what's available at www.thedashcamstore.com and www.blackboxmycar.com In the end, buy what you like and if you're happy I'm happy :)

Typically I would agree with that lol.

But I figured I'd take a chance with it and see, I've been thoroughly impressed with it so far. Fitment was exactly like the OEM mirror surround and it powers from the harness in the mirror so there is no wires to fish unless you want to do the back as well.

Typically I would agree with that lol.

But I figured I'd take a chance with it and see, I've been thoroughly impressed with it so far. Fitment was exactly like the OEM mirror surround and it powers from the harness in the mirror so there is no wires to fish unless you want to do the back as well.
Do you have Parking Mode?

Yes, but to use it, you have to power the unit from the OBD port. If you power it with the mirror harness it kills the power when you turn the truck off.

It came with both cables. I used the mirror harness just to make sure I would like it, but I think I will switch over to the OBD at some point.

Yes, but to use it, you have to power the unit from the OBD port. If you power it with the mirror harness it kills the power when you turn the truck off.

It came with both cables. I used the mirror harness just to make sure I would like it, but I think I will switch over to the OBD at some point.
I highly recommend you do that to get parking Mode. You can also wire it into your fuse panel which is even better than utilizing the OBD.

Last edited:
I'm waiting until the technology improves so the cameras don't record all the laws I bend while driving. Let me know when that happens.

#the5th

Personally I'd go with one that has a parking mode and a rear camera. I get it's not exactly plug and play. But lots of options out there. Mine has built in wifi and bluetooth. I can pull it up on my phone and change settings or view video. I feel like having it record while parked is probably as important as while driving. Just as much, if not more stuff happens when parked and they think no one is around.

I wish we had a sentry mode like Telsa. It kind of sucks we have 360 camera's on these trucks, but no option to have them record. I would have gladly paid 3-500 bucks for an option to enable the onboard camera's to record. The camera's are already there. Doesn't seem like adding a DVR option with a SD card slot would be hard for GM.

I wish we had a sentry mode like Telsa. It kind of sucks we have 360 camera's on these trucks, but no option to have them record. I would have gladly paid 3-500 bucks for an option to enable the onboard camera's to record. The camera's are already there. Doesn't seem like adding a DVR option with a SD card slot would be hard for GM.

I would pay $1k for that.

I would pay $1k for that.
Lol, Don't give GM idea's. Honestly I probably would have too. But if they could keep the cost to around what a good dash cam costs. I think it would be a no brainer for anyone who wants a dash cam. It's including on a Tesla at no charge 🤷‍♂️. Sentry mode, AKA parking mode is just an option you turn on either in the app or on the infotainment screen. That's why there is so many videos online of Tesla's in wrecks or getting vandalized while parked. The camera feature comes standard even on a base model 3. You would think on a 70k+ truck. It would at least be an option. Especially since we already have a front facing camera. Just make it part of the tech package. Cargo view is cool an all. But who wouldn't want that camera to record while parked.

This is the one I have. I highly recommend it! It's a fantastic system and has never failed, even in the extreme desert temperatures here in Las Vegas. It's a 3 channel so you get front, cabin, & rear. I also highly recommend getting the largest size card allowed for whatever camera you choose . I have a 256GB, because that is the max for this particular camera. It loop records, which means, once the card becomes full It will rewrite over the oldest video. It will usually keep three or four days worth of video. It also has a protected mode which means it will not overwrite video when the camera is triggered from an accident or an event when it is parked. It has parking mode or sentry mode, whichever you choose to call it. The cabin has an IR sensor for night time. In today's society dash cams are a must have!!!
If you choose the system, just remember to get the wiring harness kit which will allow for 24-hour recording. IMO it's worth every penny!

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back