Onboard air + Airbags

Hi 8ball, I started back up on this project and was planning on installing my tank this weekend. I just tried fitting it up and realized it's too large. Do you have a link to the tanks you used?

Also, when mounting your compressors and tank. Did you drill through both sides of the box frame or did you go through one side and tap the hole?

I appreciate any suggestions

Sure, NP. I used two different size tanks. On my passenger side I used the 5 gallon tank and on my Drivers side I used a 3 gallon tank. You can use either or both doesn't matter. I did mine that way because my 5 gallon is the main tank that stays at a higher PSI and my 3 gallon tank sits at a lower PSI with a regulator between them. Typically the 3 gallon is at 90 psi. That way tools and stuff don't need a regulator and it's just less pressure going to the airbag stuff. The 5 gallon is at 175psi for my train horns and to just give me more air on tap basically. Having that larger 175psi tank feeding the smaller tank helps that tank maintain it's pressure when using the air.

I drilled and tapped the frame. No reason at all to through bolt the tanks. I mean you could, but the tanks aren't very heavy and I could pull myself off the ground just on one bracket with 2 bolts and I used two brackets per tank. Nutserts, would also probably be a good option. I used one of those and a couple of clips to mount my horns to the underside of the cab.
5 Gallon tank https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JDBRGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3 Gallon tank

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
8ball_99 how did you mount the Daystar cradles to the bottom mounting plates? I’m about to drill and tap mine in…..

8ball_99 how did you mount the Daystar cradles to the bottom mounting plates? I’m about to drill and tap mine in…..
I don't think I have any photo's, but what I did was remove the metal spacer that bolts to the axle for the bump stop to hit. I drilled and tapped it so I could bolt the cradles directly to it. I figured out location by installing the bags and just setting the cradles in place. I jacked the truck back up and marked the bolt locations for the cradles. Removed the spacers, drilled and tapped them. Then installed them back on to the axles. Hope that makes sense. It sounds complicated, but it really wasn't. Circled below is the spacer I was talking about. You can even see where I marked the ouline of the craddle and wrote DR for driver's side.

20230607_134315.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I specifically told him about the standard silverado bag mounts because of this thread! So... thank you!
And yeah aside from the convenience of having the airbags for towing, I don't really have any other need for the full onboard air setup as you did. Thus, plan to go the bluetooth route.
This truck is my daily driver and I don't do a ton of "off-roading" (GASP!). I am an avid outdoorsman though and this truck checks all the boxes for me, which is why I got it. Plus, there is no better looking truck on the market and its not even close!
Hi NebraskaZR2
I am interested to hear and see how your install of the airbags went ?
Also do you have any model / Part numbers of the items you used ?
By the sounds of things I am in a similar position to you with what I am wanting to do with my ZR2.

Also a big thank you to 8ball_99 for starting this thread and all the info he has shared. So helpful.

Hi 8ball_99-

Thanks for the details on your setup. I think I'm going to do something similar. Have you experienced any noise from your Daystar cradles?

Thanks in advance

Hi 8ball_99-

Thanks for the details on your setup. I think I'm going to do something similar. Have you experienced any noise from your Daystar cradles?

Thanks in advance
Np, I never had any problems with the setup. Everything worked great. I actually don't have the truck anymore though. I traded it for a HD a couple months ago. One of the forum members on here bought my airbag setup. For the 1500 ZR2, I really do think the standard short brackets along with the Trail boss bags and the daystar cradles are the way to go. Unloaded the truck still had the nice plush ride, But when needed toss some air in the bags and it would handle loads great. I didn't switch to an HD because I needed too. The 1500 with this setup towed anything I hooked to it very well.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back