Onboard air + Airbags

8ball_99

Reaction score
I put on board air and Airlifter airbags on my ZR2. I had air on my Duramax and used it pretty often, so I wanted it on my ZR2. Wasn't sure if it would fit on the ZR2, but found some tanks on Amazon that fit great between the cab body and frame. Mounted dual compressors on the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side.

I did dual tanks and dual compressor. Had a single 5 gallon tank on my Duramax with a single compressor. Worked well for the most part. If you had to fill multiple tires or were running tools you would have to wait on the air to build up sometimes though.

I ended up adding air bags because my tractor squatted my truck to much. Originally wasn't planning on putting bags on this truck. I put daystar cradles on the bottom so the bags wouldn't limit the suspension travel.
20220915_110021.jpg
20220915_222926.jpg
20220924_145055.jpg
20220924_145144.jpg
20220924_145216.jpg
20220919_154952.jpg
20220924_011417.jpg
20220924_145116.jpg
20220927_111945.jpg
20220927_112013.jpg

Question for the group…
I was thing about adding airbags for trailering as well but was wondering about the compressor location. If I add them to the frame rails like most manufacturers suggest, do I need to worry about it “going underwater” if a cross a stream or anything?

Forgot about this thread till I got a notification of ikaika's comment lol

Figured I'd update this. Setup has been working great. I did change my upper air bag brackets. I originally used ones for a Trailboss, but I have since changed them to the brackets for a standard 1500. Reason being they reduced the amount of up travel on the ZR2 with the tall brackets. Since I have the daystar cradles the bags don't actually attach to the axel. The cradles do take up a little space also. So I don't need the long brackets in my case. I noticed the truck took big bumps a little harsher with the trail boss brackets. Swapped to the shorter brackets to compensate for the cradle thickness and now it's good to go. Rides great now.

So the trai boss kit technically fits, but if your going to run cradles, which you should IMO. Then the standard kit brackets work better. With the daystar cradles you can run the bags at zero pressure and since the axle isn't bolted to the bottom of the bag, it allows the suspension to droop fully. With out the cradles your supposed to keep atleast 5 psi in the bags and they act basically like a limit strap. Basically without cradles you get a stiffer ride with less travel. With the cradles and brackets for a standard 1500. You pretty much maintain factory ride and travel.

Picture of my truck trailer with out bags. I'm on the bump stops here....
20220914_065627.jpg

Exact same setup with airbags and I think I was at 35psi on the bags if I remember right. Which is only about 1/3 of their 100 psi capacity. As you can see night and day difference. Goes from sitting on the stops to riding level.
20221002_133614.jpg

Question for the group…
I was thing about adding airbags for trailering as well but was wondering about the compressor location. If I add them to the frame rails like most manufacturers suggest, do I need to worry about it “going underwater” if a cross a stream or anything?
Mine are on the frame rail. If you look at this photo the circled part is the air intakes for the compressors. They come with a line that you can run where ever for the intake. Mine are about mid level of the bed. I just ran the line up between the gap of inner and outer metal of the bed. So for them to suck in water I'd have to have water above my waist in the cab lol. Now that said you probably still don't want to submerge the compressors if you can help it. But a normal creek crossings, puddles, ect your fine. If you have water actually flowing into the cab then yeah you might kill your compressor. Probably a moot point in that case though lol
20221016_093353.jpg

This is awesome. I miss my horns. I deleted the spare tire on my last truck. I never had an issue but don't want to do that again. This gives me hope. I would have to get someone else to do all the work though.

This is awesome. I miss my horns. I deleted the spare tire on my last truck. I never had an issue but don't want to do that again. This gives me hope. I would have to get someone else to do all the work though.
I appreciate it. It kind of surprises me how many actually do the spare tire delete kits. I couldn't imagine not having a spare. Heck I've used my onboard air for changing or plugging tires often. Mostly on trailers, but still.

This setup is a bit involved just because of double tanks at two different pressures and two compressors. But a single tank with a single compressor on the passenger side really wouldn't be that hard. You can buy the compressor mounting bracket. I did make the brackets for the tanks and horns. Isn't much to them though. The horn frame could be made out of some aluminum and rivets or even just bolted together. Some off the shelf L brackets could probably work for the tank. Honestly the hardest part was figuring out what would fit where lol. I spent more time measuring and shopping for components then I did actually installing it.

I appreciate it. It kind of surprises me how many actually do the spare tire delete kits. I couldn't imagine not having a spare. Heck I've used my onboard air for changing or plugging tires often. Mostly on trailers, but still.

This setup is a bit involved just because of double tanks at two different pressures and two compressors. But a single tank with a single compressor on the passenger side really wouldn't be that hard. You can buy the compressor mounting bracket. I did make the brackets for the tanks and horns. Isn't much to them though. The horn frame could be made out of some aluminum and rivets or even just bolted together. Some off the shelf L brackets could probably work for the tank. Honestly the hardest part was figuring out what would fit where lol. I spent more time measuring and shopping for components then I did actually installing it.
did the compressors come with their own mounting brackets? Really sharp install!!

did the compressors come with their own mounting brackets? Really sharp install!!
Thanks!, Those brackets are sold separately or atleast they were from the compressors I bought. They are viair 95900. Cost around 39. Nice brackets that have mounting slots to fit lots of different model compressors.

ya know, we’re all dying to know if you‘ve tried out the train horns yet…? :cool::ROFLMAO:

ya know, we’re all dying to know if you‘ve tried out the train horns yet…? :cool::ROFLMAO:
Oh of course lol, several times. I actually got my neighbors kid yesterday. He was backing out his driveway. I come over the hill he didn't see me pull up cause he was looking the other way.( Newer driver). I hit the horn and put the fear of God in him. Me and his dad was rolling laughing. He laughed and shook his head after he got his composer. Pretty sure he thought he just pulled out in front of a dump truck for a second or two.

Awesome setup! I wanted to do this and now I have something to follow. I'm wondering how you wired the train horns. Are you able to switch between the factory horn and the train horn? Also, do you have the compressors on a switch? Any other advice you would suggest to someone before tackling this?

Awesome setup! I wanted to do this and now I have something to follow. I'm wondering how you wired the train horns. Are you able to switch between the factory horn and the train horn? Also, do you have the compressors on a switch? Any other advice you would suggest to someone before tackling this?
Thanks!

Yes the compressors are on a switch. You diffently want a way to override the pressure switch. Incase they cut on when you don't want them on.

I also have a switch to toggle between the stock horn and the train horns. It's actually really simple. I used a 5 pin relay. The stock horn is on the passenger side front grill. I put the relay up there behind the headlight. Pin 30 goes to the stock horn power wire. Then you connect the stock horn and the train horn to pins 87 and 87a. In my case 87a is stock and 87 is the train horn. When the relay is off the stock horn blows when you push the stock horn button. When the relay is on the train horn blows. If you reverse those two the train horn would be the default horn. You just need a switch in the cab to switch the realy on or off.

I installed upfitter switches in my truck and one is used to toggle my horns and another is used to control my compressors. The upfitter switches also come with fuse links for the battery box. Which makes for a clean install for the compressor power. But you could use any switches really.
20220917_005659.jpg
20220915_185236.jpg
20220915_222757.jpg
20221227_093954.jpg

Last edited:
Planning something very similar to what 8ball_99 did here.
We go camping a lot in the summer and have a 6000 lb (dry weight) camper that we will be pulling with the ZR2.
Talked with my local mechanic and he did some research after I provided the info above. He is an Airlift dealer.
Installing the Airlift airbags and onboard air so that I'll be able to control everything from my phone. Utilizing the daystar cradles that 8ball_99 mentioned above in this forum so they can be completely deflated and will maintain stock suspension travel and feel when not in use.
I'll keep everyone updated on how it turns out and my thoughts. P.S. forgive my ignorance if anything above doesn't sound Kosher. I'm new to all this "air bag business." I do trust my mechanic a great deal to get it right.

Planning something very similar to what 8ball_99 did here.
We go camping a lot in the summer and have a 6000 lb (dry weight) camper that we will be pulling with the ZR2.
Talked with my local mechanic and he did some research after I provided the info above. He is an Airlift dealer.
Installing the Airlift airbags and onboard air so that I'll be able to control everything from my phone. Utilizing the daystar cradles that 8ball_99 mentioned above in this forum so they can be completely deflated and will maintain stock suspension travel and feel when not in use.
I'll keep everyone updated on how it turns out and my thoughts. P.S. forgive my ignorance if anything above doesn't sound Kosher. I'm new to all this "air bag business." I do trust my mechanic a great deal to get it right.
If he is going to install the daystar cradles make sure he doesn't use the kit for a Trail boss. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. But I ended up switching the bag mounts to the ones for a standard Silverado. IMO, The trail boss bag mounts hang to low and restrict your up travel to much. If not using cradles you have to have the longer mounts. If you have cradles then you can run the shorter mounts and maintain your wheel travel.

The blue tooth controlled compressor is fine for running the bags. Its easier and cheaper then doing a full onboard air setup. Controlling it from your phone or remote is also nice, because you can stand outside the truck as you add air. Makes it a little easier with different loads to get the right ride height. When pulling the same load it doesn't matter, Because you will learn what PSI to set the bags at for that trailer. The only down side with those setups is you don't have air for other things, like airing up tires, ect.

If he is going to install the daystar cradles make sure he doesn't use the kit for a Trail boss. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. But I ended up switching the bag mounts to the ones for a standard Silverado. IMO, The trail boss bag mounts hang to low and restrict your up travel to much. If not using cradles you have to have the longer mounts. If you have cradles then you can run the shorter mounts and maintain your wheel travel.

The blue tooth controlled compressor is fine for running the bags. Its easier and cheaper then doing a full onboard air setup. Controlling it from your phone or remote is also nice, because you can stand outside the truck as you add air. Makes it a little easier with different loads to get the right ride height. When pulling the same load it doesn't matter, Because you will learn what PSI to set the bags at for that trailer. The only down side with those setups is you don't have air for other things, like airing up tires, ect.
Yes, I specifically told him about the standard silverado bag mounts because of this thread! So... thank you!
And yeah aside from the convenience of having the airbags for towing, I don't really have any other need for the full onboard air setup as you did. Thus, plan to go the bluetooth route.
This truck is my daily driver and I don't do a ton of "off-roading" (GASP!). I am an avid outdoorsman though and this truck checks all the boxes for me, which is why I got it. Plus, there is no better looking truck on the market and its not even close!

I’ll probably end up going with a digital gauge that matches the refreshed interior better, prosport has a really nice dual OLED air press. gauge. But since I haven’t seen a gauge mounting option come to market for the refreshed 22 I designed my own. This was my first “draft” got a couple improvements to make but keeps the wiring concealed and the final product should look pretty clean. Good addition to an onboard air setup.

Attachments

• B275429C-99A5-48FF-8DAA-CDEEA8309E3F.jpeg
    B275429C-99A5-48FF-8DAA-CDEEA8309E3F.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 52
I put on board air and Airlifter airbags on my ZR2. I had air on my Duramax and used it pretty often, so I wanted it on my ZR2. Wasn't sure if it would fit on the ZR2, but found some tanks on Amazon that fit great between the cab body and frame. Mounted dual compressors on the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side.

I did dual tanks and dual compressor. Had a single 5 gallon tank on my Duramax with a single compressor. Worked well for the most part. If you had to fill multiple tires or were running tools you would have to wait on the air to build up sometimes though.

I ended up adding air bags because my tractor squatted my truck to much. Originally wasn't planning on putting bags on this truck. I put daystar cradles on the bottom so the bags wouldn't limit the suspension travel.
View attachment 914View attachment 915View attachment 916View attachment 917View attachment 918View attachment 919View attachment 920View attachment 921View attachment 922View attachment 923
badass AND bagged!!!

Most Member Reactions

Back