Plastic Fantastic HD

AXE

Reaction score
Congratulations GM you've succeeded in turning an otherwise reliable HD truck platform into some cheap plastic junk that looks straight outta ChiNa.

The more I work on this truck the more I scratch my head on the chicken shit design and manufacturing incorporated to save a few pennies.

Last couple days doing some wiring, so was under the hood and realized how many poor plastic parts were assembled supporting a $15k motor that GM had to buy from Isuzu.

The hood latch release handle is plastic and is bolted to the release. Is chintzy as hell and already loose. How in the hell is it cheaper or easier to marry up two parts using two screws instead of stamping one metal part like the last 100 years.

The plastic radiator shroud appears to be separating from the radiator and I think it's noticeably worse now than before. It might be warping due to heat in the engine. They couldn't even get ChiNa to produce a plastic Radiator hose connection the same diameter as the hose, so they stuck the hose on crimped the hose and sent her!

You've already seen my complaints about the 22 plastic bits on the Bison bumpers , the plastic fuel doors with no caps, and all the excess plastic trim attached to the hood and body panels. I guess I could go on for pages and probably will as it disintegrates before my eyes.

If this POS makes it til the end of 2024 it's gonna be by the grace of God!

FU GM for ruining your flagship truck to divert the profits to your DEI, social governance, and WEF climate bullshot agendas.

Attachments

• 20240206_124509.jpg
    20240206_124509.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20240206_124522.jpg
    20240206_124522.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
The Legend Merle Haggard said it best in his classic "Are the Good Times Really Over for Good".........."I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last 10 years like they should".

Just got in my rig and this came up...... not by chance.

Attachments

• 20240206_142952.jpg
    20240206_142952.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 20
Hey @AXE, you have had some black ZR2's so yo would know this I'm sure, is the gloss black paint on the body the same color as the standard (non Bison) bumpers, hood scoop, and door handles, or is it some different shade or something? I am guessing it is all the gloss black WA-8555 paint color.

And yeah, lots of plastic plastic, on the exterior I try to keep it protected from UV with a good trim coat, and out of the sun it should last ok, and if it was all metal the truck would be a lot heavier, and they don't really make it to last 10-20+ like they used to. I guess we will see how things hold up and wear/age.

Congratulations GM you've succeeded in turning an otherwise reliable HD truck platform into some cheap plastic junk that looks straight outta ChiNa.

The more I work on this truck the more I scratch my head on the chicken shit design and manufacturing incorporated to save a few pennies.

Last couple days doing some wiring, so was under the hood and realized how many poor plastic parts were assembled supporting a $15k motor that GM had to buy from Isuzu.

The hood latch release handle is plastic and is bolted to the release. Is chintzy as hell and already loose. How in the hell is it cheaper or easier to marry up two parts using two screws instead of stamping one metal part like the last 100 years.

The plastic radiator shroud appears to be separating from the radiator and I think it's noticeably worse now than before. It might be warping due to heat in the engine. They couldn't even get ChiNa to produce a plastic Radiator hose connection the same diameter as the hose, so they stuck.the hose on crimped the hose and sent her!

You've already seen my complaints about the 22 plastic bits on the Bison bumpers , the plastic fuel doors with no caps, and all the excess plastic trim attached to the hood and body panels. I guess I could go on for pages and probably will as it disintegrates before my eyes.

FU GM for ruining your flagship truck to divert the profits to your DEI, social governance, and WEF climate bullshot agendas.
Every time I get excited about buying a 2500HD ZR2 gasser, you continue too talk me out of it ;)

The plastic radiator shroud appears to be separating from the radiator and I think it's noticeably worse now than before. It might be warping due to heat in the engine. They couldn't even get ChiNa to produce a plastic Radiator hose connection the same diameter as the hose, so they stuck.the hose on crimped the hose and sent her!

FU MARY BARRA!!!

The Legend Merle Haggard said it best in his classic "Are the Good Times Really Over for Good".........."I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last 10 years like they should".

Just got in my rig and this came up...... not by chance.
Yeah, I remember that song. "Like a snowball headed for hell". I agree with you .

I looked back thru some pictures of mine . I have a picture of My 21 the shroud is exactly like yours at brand new . I then popped the hood on my 24 I have had for a week but only driven home basically and it again matches my 21 and yours . Good news yours is like at least two others came new so maybe it isn’t getting worse . Bad news they are making them that way I don’t know if that’s really a good thing

Hey @AXE, you have had some black ZR2's so yo would know this I'm sure, is the gloss black paint on the body the same color as the standard (non Bison) bumpers, hood scoop, and door handles, or is it some different shade or something? I am guessing it is all the gloss black WA-8555 paint color.

And yeah, lots of plastic plastic, on the exterior I try to keep it protected from UV with a good trim coat, and out of the sun it should last ok, and if it was all metal the truck would be a lot heavier, and they don't really make it to last 10-20+ like they used to. I guess we will see how things hold up and wear/age.
Yes, all the black paint matches on my 1500 ZR2. I think that's the save code on my touch up paint.

Every time I get excited about buying a 2500HD ZR2 gasser, you continue too talk me out of it ;)
LOL.......I love both my 1500 and 2500, I just hate that they introduce all this cheap shit on an otherwise good truck.

I probably spend more time messing with my trucks, so I notice some stuff. By cparison, I would say the Tahoe has better fit and finish work on the body overall. The HC interior matetials feel better too. It's the same premium price point, why do we get cheap shit on important parts?

LOL.......I love both my 1500 and 2500, I just hate that they introduce all this cheap shit on an otherwise good truck.

I probably spend more time messing with my trucks, so I notice some stuff. By cparison, I would say the Tahoe has better fit and finish work on the body overall. The HC interior matetials feel better too. It's the same premium price point, why do we get cheap shit on important parts?
I have actually been thinking about a High Country over a ZR2 for my next truck...1500 or 2500. Can't do much "off roading" here in FL and would be a better cruiser to visit family up north. We'll see...I love the looks of the ZR2 and AT4X so that may win me over again.

I looked back thru some pictures of mine . I have a picture of My 21 the shroud is exactly like yours at brand new . I then popped the hood on my 24 I have had for a week but only driven home basically and it again matches my 21 and yours . Good news yours is like at least two others came new so maybe it isn’t getting worse . Bad news they are making them that way I don’t know if that’s really a good thing
So it's a feature, not a defect......LOL. I just looked at my 6.2 and it uses the same type of design but the fit and finish seems alot better. Doesn't appear to be warped and have uneven gaps and crooked fattening points. Seems like these HD shrouds are torqued too much or are too thin.

I may have to see if I can fix that sloppy ass hood latch. The 6.2 had the same one. I guess I never noticed it because it fits tighter. I might take it off and fab a metal lever so I can feel better!

I have actually been thinking about a High Country over a ZR2 for my next truck...1500 or 2500. Can't do much "off roading" here in FL and would be a better cruiser to visit family up north. We'll see...I love the looks of the ZR2 and AT4X so that may win me over again.
If I wasn't using mine for some off-roading I would have this HD High Country Midnight Edition. That's a slick truck and it can tow your 34 foot Yellowfin offshore boat boat with triple 300s to the marina.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240206_190627_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240206_190627_Chrome.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 30
  • SmartSelect_20240206_191146_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240206_191146_Google.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 31
If I wasn't using mine for some off-roading I would have this HD High Country Midnight Edition. That's a slick truck and it can tow your 34 foot Yellowfin offshore boat boat with triple 300s to the marina.
So it's a feature, not a defect......LOL. I just looked at my 6.2 and it uses the same type of design but the fit and finish seems alot better. Doesn't appear to be warped and have uneven gaps and crooked fattening points. Seems like these HD shrouds are torqued too much or are too thin.

I may have to see if I can fix that sloppy ass hood latch. The 6.2 had the same one. I guess I never noticed it because it fits tighter. I might take it off and fab a metal lever so I can feel better!
almost looks like to me the radiator hose is pulling that side away a little

The hood latch handle screws together like that because you have to take the lever off to remove the grill. I'm sure the plastic part was probably to save money though. I don't think my fan shroud has a gap like that on my Gasser though.

Can you get magneride on the High Country? If not I’ll bet the Multimatics on the ZR2 ride better!

Can you get magneride on the High Country? If not I’ll bet the Multimatics on the ZR2 ride better!
Magneticride is pretty good. I've had it on couple Tahoe and I'd give it a solid rating. Not sure how it'd work on an HD.

almost looks like to me the radiator hose is pulling that side away a little
The back of the shroud has a little molded support cradle for the hose to sit in. It may be pulling the shroud down and away.

That hose fitting is wierd. Also what's up with the little metal hook on the hose clamp that pulls the hose lip back? Maybe it's easier to pull the hose for maintenance, so it doesn't get stuck on housing.

Last edited:
Magneticride is pretty good. I've had it on couple Tahoe and I'd give it a solid rating. Not sure how it'd work on an HD.
Yeah, had it on my triple black C5 and considering how wide the tires were, they worked surprisingly well!

Most Member Reactions

Back