Possible TT6 Powerplants for Silverados.

hamptilious

Founding Member
Reaction score
We are definitely in the final days of V8 power in full size trucks. Smaller displacement 4 and 6 cyl with a power adder will be the new normal until EV fully takes over.

Do I like it? I'm a little indifferent in trucks. I don't want to see them in sports cars but if a truck can make the same power, reliably, while getting better fuel economy, then I'm ok with it.

I'd be good with it, that 2.7 HO is a beast, I bet a six cylinder version of that would be awesome.

scale up the power on the 2.7 HO to a six cylinder it would be 465hp and 645tq. sign me up !

Not a fan of anything but v8’s in edit: gasoline* trucks.

Ford’s lineup is comparable to chevy’s in terms of MPG. And The Gen 5 family is pushing 8 years of no real updates to its design.

Sometimes over complexity isn’t the answer. The small block is far from its peak IMO

Most people on this particular forum would probably agree. Granted the demand for a 3.0 duramax in the ZR2 is a real thing, that motor has no top end. At the end of the day it’s comparable to the 5.3 not the 6.2

22 Regular cab short bed Silverado
2.7L Turbo engine
  • 310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm
  • 430 lb-ft of torque [583 Nm] @ 3000 rpm
  • Paired with a 8-speed automatic transmission

Not a fan of anything but v8’s in edit: gasoline* trucks.

Ford’s lineup is comparable to chevy’s in terms of MPG. And The Gen 5 family is pushing 8 years of no real updates to its design.

Sometimes over complexity isn’t the answer. The small block is far from its peak IMO

Most people on this particular forum would probably agree. Granted the demand for a 3.0 duramax in the ZR2 is a real thing, that motor has no top end. At the end of the day it’s comparable to the 5.3 not the 6.2

I think we've definitely hit the peak for the SBC. I've been told by a GM powertrain engineer that there is no new ICE development within GM. That means anything coming out soon, has been in development for years already. Unless there's another V8 that has already been in development, we probably won't see another one after the current ones are replaced.

I think we've definitely hit the peak for the SBC. I've been told by a GM powertrain engineer that there is no new ICE development within GM. That means anything coming out soon, has been in development for years already. Unless there's another V8 that has already been in development, we probably won't see another one after the current ones are replaced.
This is quite the sad comment if it rings true. GM is going to be massively behind betting the entire powertrain devision behind electric if the government subsidies stop and the market doesn’t continue to absorb the growing pains like we already are.

Last edited:
I love having a big v8 over a turbo or Diesel engine. My only real complaint is the dynamic fuel management. I get why Chevy is doing it but, the main reason I like the v8 over everything else is it makes for less things that can go wrong. I know the new turbos seem to be doing pretty good but I have had hell with the emissions systems on the new diesel pickups.

Have you driven the V6 Raptor? 🤮

I owned a 2014 6.2l Raptor and it was a love affair that broke my heart when it ended — I had to move to Germany and couldn’t keep it. While I lived there, I had a new Mercedes G500, which looked so cool and was very capable off road, but not nearly as fun or satisfying as the 6.2 in any situation other than parking.

Fast forward to last November, I’m transferred back and drive the Gen 3 Raptor for two weeks. Touching the gas pedal is like sending a carrier pigeon to the engine, dosing the gas is totally unpredictable on the highway (also, is it possible it got even wider??), and the thing sounds like something out of Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift. No thanks.

I owned a 2014 6.2l Raptor and it was a love affair that broke my heart when it ended — I had to move to Germany and couldn’t keep it. While I lived there, I had a new Mercedes G500, which looked so cool and was very capable off road, but not nearly as fun or satisfying as the 6.2 in any situation other than parking.

Fast forward to last November, I’m transferred back and drive the Gen 3 Raptor for two weeks. Touching the gas pedal is like sending a carrier pigeon to the engine, dosing the gas is totally unpredictable on the highway (also, is it possible it got even wider??), and the thing sounds like something out of Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift. No thanks.

Agreed. I had a 2014 FX4 with the Raptor 6.2L, which was replaced by a 2016 Lariat 3.5LTT. Quick though not the same, at all.

100% agree. IMO, Ford made a gamble that is mostly paying off, but enthusiasts that don't care about brand can go to GM or Ram to get that V8 they are looking for. I've driven both the TRX and Raptor, and the Raptor has no soul to it anymore.

However, Big V8's will be gone in 5-10 years, so these trucks are already going to be a fossil soon.

Most Member Reactions

Back