Engine differences - 2023 vs 2024 Colorado ZR2

wlarsen76

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm hoping you all can help me understand something about the engine differences in the 2023 vs the 2024 Colorado ZR2.
I was recently reading up on the truck and discovered that fuel economy seemed to be quite different between the 2023 and the 2024 models (but the power remains the same??)
16 MPG vs 19 MPG, respectively.
I came across this site that helped provide a little understanding, but only a little.
I'm not a motorhead, so I don't immediately understand the difference between "Turbo High-Output" vs "TurboMax".
Then, there are other sites that combine those two names (TurboMax High-Output?????).
It seems to me that there is very little difference in the engine, but somehow they are able to edge out 3 more mpg?

Does anyone know how?

Hi folks. I'm hoping you all can help me understand something about the engine differences in the 2023 vs the 2024 Colorado ZR2.
I was recently reading up on the truck and discovered that fuel economy seemed to be quite different between the 2023 and the 2024 models (but the power remains the same??)
16 MPG vs 19 MPG, respectively.
I came across this site that helped provide a little understanding, but only a little.
I'm not a motorhead, so I don't immediately understand the difference between "Turbo High-Output" vs "TurboMax".
Then, there are other sites that combine those two names (TurboMax High-Output?????).
It seems to me that there is very little difference in the engine, but somehow they are able to edge out 3 more mpg?

Does anyone know how?
There are two engine choices:

1. 2.7L turbo with 237HP & 260 #/ft torque (base engine)
2. 2.7L turns with 310HP & 430 #/ft torque (turbo MAX)

From what I understand, the same engine just tuned differently. I believe that Chevy changed the engine nomenclature from 2023 to 2024 hence the minor confusion. The High-Output is the Turbo MAX.

There are two engine choices:

1. 2.7L turbo with 237HP & 260 #/ft torque (base engine)
2. 2.7L turns with 310HP & 430 #/ft torque (turbo MAX)

From what I understand, the same engine just tuned differently. I believe that Chevy changed the engine nomenclature from 2023 to 2024 hence the minor confusion. The High-Output is the Turbo MAX.

Okay, so they are the same engine, just rebranded.
If I just look at the 2.7L w/ 310HP & 430 #/ft torque (turboMAX)
I'll find things like this article saying that fuel economy of the 2023 ZR2 is 16MPG.
But then, I'll also find things like this article saying that the fuel economy of the 2024 ZR2 is 17mpg / 19mpg
So, then I went right to Chevy's site and see this...

1705244448341.png

So, maybe official numbers aren't out yet and that article just made a guess and I took it at face value?

Most Member Reactions

Back