Problem with Google Maps Navigation (built-in)

landpilot

Founding Member
Reaction score
Strange issue with the built-in navigation on my truck, and two things have changed - a) I got the OTA upgrade last week or so, and b) I upgraded from an iPhone 11 Pro to an iPhone 14 Pro a couple of days ago. Didn't drive the truck using navigation between the two events, so I can't say which one (if it is one) caused it. What's happening is that whenever I'm using the built-in navigation and I get on a long (>10 minute) phone call, the nav screen hangs, and the head unit becomes unresponsive. I literally have to shut the truck off and open the door to kill the radio to get everything to restart. And when i say unresponsive, I mean the screen is frozen, the volume control doesn't work (steering wheel or dash knob), the steering wheel channel selector stops working. I can switch to the audio app, but I can't change the channel or switch to my phone. The HUD is still showing the correct directions, however.

This doesn't happen when I'm using CarPlay and Apple Maps or Waze, which is what I'm usually using. But there's definitely something wrong with the programming in the head unit.

Anybody else seen anything like this?

nope, my understanding of the OTA update is, it was to prepare the SW for future updates i want to say transmission shift point learning had something to do with it. I just upgraded form iphone 12 to 14 and dont have any issues like you described.

my issue is when if im listening to spotify on the truck and i pick up my phone it switched to carplay and turns spotify off. its annoying.

I've noticed that if it's on like XM and you get a call, when you hang up, it's switched back to the phone under Audio and you have to move it back. Can't find a way to make that stop either...

I think i'm going to try deleting my phone profile off the truck and starting over.

I turned off the CarPlay and just had it connected to BT. That resolved the switching issue. But then I wasn’t able to tell Siri what to do.

Also why can I ask google how much gas I have and get an answer, but Siri says there is no software to support answering that question.

I can’t get the truck Bluetooth to connect to my new iPhone 14, the map doesn’t come on. It’s froze with no mapping, annoying as hell

Is the internet in your truck working? Can you call OnStar? My issue started out the same way.

Strange issue with the built-in navigation on my truck, and two things have changed - a) I got the OTA upgrade last week or so, and b) I upgraded from an iPhone 11 Pro to an iPhone 14 Pro a couple of days ago. Didn't drive the truck using navigation between the two events, so I can't say which one (if it is one) caused it. What's happening is that whenever I'm using the built-in navigation and I get on a long (>10 minute) phone call, the nav screen hangs, and the head unit becomes unresponsive. I literally have to shut the truck off and open the door to kill the radio to get everything to restart. And when i say unresponsive, I mean the screen is frozen, the volume control doesn't work (steering wheel or dash knob), the steering wheel channel selector stops working. I can switch to the audio app, but I can't change the channel or switch to my phone. The HUD is still showing the correct directions, however.

This doesn't happen when I'm using CarPlay and Apple Maps or Waze, which is what I'm usually using. But there's definitely something wrong with the programming in the head unit.

Anybody else seen anything like this?
Well if you had the google navigation and you did not renew your Wi-Fi account it won’t work. You have to go through a few setting and set your apply car play map with out paying. Silly feature

True but I have OnStar and unlimited data and all of it is paid and active so it’s not that. The dealer kept the truck for a week without looking at it and I’m in the middle of moving so I had to pick it up unrepaired.

Well if you had the google navigation and you did not renew your Wi-Fi account it won’t work. You have to go through a few setting and set your apply car play map with out paying. Silly feature
What are the settings? I thought if we didn't pay for the data package after the trial period we are SOL.

What are the settings? I thought if we didn't pay for the data package after the trial period we are SOL.
If you use the myChevrolet app, it's still using an internet connection and a basic free OnStar plan (free for 5 years) to use the ATT 4G LTE modem to send commands to your truck (remote start, lock/unlock the doors, get the mileage/oil/etc). But that's all you get unless you subscribe to a plan with more data, i.e. you can used the modem to stream service or anything like that.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back