Radio Antenna Height

UncleGator

Reaction score
Evening, folks.

I may be one or two buffalo traces in, but this antenna looks ridiculously tall… I wouldn’t have thought about it, but I’m trying to guess whether or not this truck will fit in my garage and looked at a pic to see the height of it, at which I then audibly laughed out loud.

My current truck, the antenna will hit the garage door, but the shark fin is still a few inches lower and I can drive it all the way in. I won’t take delivery of this truck until Friday, so I have nothing but time to sit and look at pictures, browse for mods, and watch the plethora of YT vids on ZR2s.

Attachments

• IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 81
So on the 1500s it is taller than the truck by a good amount. I didn't measure, but I'd say several inches. Lots of options online for shorter antenna. I changed mine out immediately. Mainly for looks, But also I don't really listen to regular radio much. The shorter ones do lose a little range. It's just how antenna's work.

On the flip side the HD's antenna is a littler shorter and thicker. It's actually very close to the height of the actual truck. If that antenna hits, your roof probably will too. I know this for a fact, because my HD didn't fit in my garage when I first got it. Once I raised the opening enough for the roof to clear so did the antenna. So I left the factory antenna on it. It looks better than the one on the 1500. Plus I really like the fact it works as clearance indicator. I've pulled into a few places where I was a little nervous about clearance. The antenna made it easy to check with out any hassle. The highest point of the cab is actually towards the back above the back seat. So the antenna is several feet forward of the high point on the cab.

I'm not real sure why the 1500s have the really long one still. It's several inches taller than the cab. But Chevy has been doing that for years. I had a 2011 with the exact same long antenna. That one hit so much the antenna actually just broke off at the base one day when I came to a stop at a intersection. I got out of the truck and tossed it in the back of the truck, lol

Replaced with Ronin 12 inch flexible antenna. No loss in radio frequency that I’ve noticed. I’ve had it for two months now. They offer in 5 inch and 8 inch as well. I opted for 12 inch to avoid radio issues as much as possible.

RONIN FACTORY Truck Antenna Accessory for Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra Accessories (2014+) - Anti Theft - Carwash Safe - Short Replacement Antenna (12 Inch Flexible) https://a.co/d/6YVrK21

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 28
Replaced with Ronin 12 inch flexible antenna. No loss in radio frequency that I’ve noticed. I’ve had it for two months now. They offer in 5 inch and 8 inch as well. I opted for 12 inch to avoid radio issues as much as possible.

RONIN FACTORY Truck Antenna Accessory for Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra Accessories (2014+) - Anti Theft - Carwash Safe - Short Replacement Antenna (12 Inch Flexible) https://a.co/d/6YVrK21
You actually listen to the radio :unsure:

Lots of options on Amazon. Also Walmart or your local auto parts store has many options. I've used a few different brands about 5 to 6 inches in height. All seemed to work fine. I keep stocker under back seat in the event I was in a remote area and needed it.

Lots of options on Amazon. Also Walmart or your local auto parts store has many options. I've used a few different brands about 5 to 6 inches in height. All seemed to work fine. I keep stocker under back seat in the event I was in a remote area and needed it.
This is actually a great idea. Will start to carry mine under the seat as well 💯

This is actually a great idea. Will start to carry mine under the seat as well 💯
Yep, I get out in the boonies hunting and fishing and have had too use it to get local weather and such. Can't even get phone reception in some places still out west. There's always a good AM/FM station.....lol.

Same here!

Reactions: AXE
So on the 1500s it is taller than the truck by a good amount. I didn't measure, but I'd say several inches. Lots of options online for shorter antenna. I changed mine out immediately. Mainly for looks, But also I don't really listen to regular radio much. The shorter ones do lose a little range. It's just how antenna's work.

On the flip side the HD's antenna is a littler shorter and thicker. It's actually very close to the height of the actual truck. If that antenna hits, your roof probably will too. I know this for a fact, because my HD didn't fit in my garage when I first got it. Once I raised the opening enough for the roof to clear so did the antenna. So I left the factory antenna on it. It looks better than the one on the 1500. Plus I really like the fact it works as clearance indicator. I've pulled into a few places where I was a little nervous about clearance. The antenna made it easy to check with out any hassle. The highest point of the cab is actually towards the back above the back seat. So the antenna is several feet forward of the high point on the cab.

I'm not real sure why the 1500s have the really long one still. It's several inches taller than the cab. But Chevy has been doing that for years. I had a 2011 with the exact same long antenna. That one hit so much the antenna actually just broke off at the base one day when I came to a stop at a intersection. I got out of the truck and tossed it in the back of the truck, lol
They (GM/Chevy) leave the long antenna because (according to them) most of their customers live in rural areas so they need a longer antenna for the reception. That makes sense to me and that is why I keep my factory antenna under my back seat. When I'm on a hunting trip and can't get good reception I can pull off the shorty and put it back on.

Yeah, there is a reason that the antenna is the length it is, usually about 30 inches. A good antenna is all about materials and construction quality but that takes a huge back seat to functionality, to be a good antenna and actually recieve the best signal possible, it needs to be the wavelength of the signal being received, or as close as possible to a whole fraction of that wavelength (1/2, 1/3 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, you get the picture), and while that works pretty well, it get worse and worse the shorter you go (or if it is too long, but that isn't really possible with a mobile antenna), and for FM the wavelength is "about" 6-12 feet for the full spectrum (6 for the highest frequency and 12 for the lowest frequency), and to actually be in the sweetest spot for sensitivity to all the frequencies, the optimum length for FM on a mobile compact antenna turns out to be 30 inches (or about 1/3 wavelength of the sweet spot for FM), and as it turns out it is also pretty good at AM also. You can go shorter, and you can even try an amplifier, but it will never get better unless you go to 1/2 or 1 full wavelength (amps also amplify the noise as well as the signal so you end up with a bigger signal but also bigger noise for the receiver to have to deal with, no bueno). Ahhh, I love radio wave propogation, antenna, and waveguide theory :) I think Axe has the best idea for those that want aesthetics but may need to pull in a weaker or further away signal at some pont. When I got my 2004 Z71 it came with a little plastic T wrench for taking off the antenna for the car wash, I have kept that little charm as I upgraded over the years, still fits the antenna base and still works without marring the paint or the metal.

Interestingly enough, the Tahoes have no antenna at all and seem to get decent reception. Not sure I've been as far in the sticks with that rig, but they haven't had antennas for years and I've never experienced any reception issues.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back