Rear Leaf looks bent...

ScratchRob13

Reaction score
I have a work truck ZR2 that I have tool boxes in the bed, and probably have ~750# on average in the bed. When I was installing airbags last week (getting rid of my south carolina stance look), I noticed that under load the springs looked weird. Do the OEM have these preloaded bends for ride, or are these bent? Looking for others to snap a photo if they have a chance.

FWIW I have done the 8Ball_99 recommended Airlift (non-trail boss) with cradles and the install was painless. Tapped the OEM bump stop plate to mount the cradle to. Running about 10-15psi with the daily bed load, and increase if I have the transfer tank full of fuel or towing. I will say it's been a week, and the OEM suspension isn't stiff enough on rebound for the air bags. If they are slightly over inflated they will get a decent double rebound bounce over rail roads, etc.

Attachments

• 20240215_132518.jpg
    20240215_132518.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20240215_132532.jpg
    20240215_132532.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 88
  • -6050364660504915481.jpg
    -6050364660504915481.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 89
That looks normal. The ZR2 springs do look a little weird. Almost like they are bent. Mine looked the same way. Here is a picture of mine when it was new and I was installing the trail boss brackets that later replaced. Side note though I did actually use trail boss bags, But I used standard 1500 upper mounts. The trail boss bags are longer and much softer than the standard 1500 bags. If you used the standard bags, It might be worth ordering a set of TB bags. You don't have to get a whole kit. Airlift sales just replacement bags on their site.

20220920_105529.jpg

I think the springs are preloaded like that to get the softer ride that the DSSV shocks allow for under normal use. I think these trucks have lower tongue and payload capacities than stated. They squat a lot without much weight in my opinion. Ride great tho.

My Dad has a 23 Ram 1500 Laramie that also rides really smoothly. It also squats alot with relatively light loads.

That looks normal. The ZR2 springs do look a little weird. Almost like they are bent. Mine looked the same way. Here is a picture of mine when it was new and I was installing the trail boss brackets that later replaced. Side note though I did actually use trail boss bags, But I used standard 1500 upper mounts. The trail boss bags are longer and much softer than the standard 1500 bags. If you used the standard bags, It might be worth ordering a set of TB bags. You don't have to get a whole kit. Airlift sales just replacement bags on their site.
Perfect thank you for response. The bag is short, but at 10psi or so seems to level it out, and rides ok. It's just finding that happy spot.

Now to figure out what this lateral front end noise that just started. Going to have to crawl under there and figure out wtf the knocking is when loading side to side. Hope it's just swap bar is loose or something.

I think the springs are preloaded like that to get the softer ride that the DSSV shocks allow for under normal use. I think these trucks have lower tongue and payload capacities than stated. They squat a lot without much weight in my opinion. Ride great tho.

My Dad has a 23 Ram 1500 Laramie that also rides really smoothly. It also squats alot with relatively light loads.
Coming from a Gen2 raptor at one point in my life, I added a deaver spring set to that truck for my daily life hauling the same tools and it rode slightly more harsh but still well enough... These truck that ride plush aren't designed for weight, and 95% of the owners never have anything other than a bicycle or surfboard in the back so, there's that.

Attachments

• 20180215_163406.jpg
    20180215_163406.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 22
Deaver makes some nice hardware! Not sure if they make anything for this rig.

I think the bags will be the way to go. I recently added them to my HD ZR2 to haul heavy. That truck also rides great, but I feel.like everything over 8k is gonna sag too much for my liking.

Perfect thank you for response. The bag is short, but at 10psi or so seems to level it out, and rides ok. It's just finding that happy spot.

Now to figure out what this lateral front end noise that just started. Going to have to crawl under there and figure out wtf the knocking is when loading side to side. Hope it's just swap bar is loose or something.
I would about bet money the sway bar is loose.

If the rebound keeps acting up and you get that chatter you were talking about. Get the other bags. They bolt right up to the short brackets and they ride much better. I tried both. I actually had two full kits while I was figuring out what worked best, lol.

You can buy just the bags, but you can't buy just the short brackets.

That's how mine look too.

Thought my mother inlaw bent them when she jumped in the back. Guess I have some pologizing to do.
F'ckin laughed too hard over this one - thx Dude!

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back