Seat comfort and steering wheel telescoping

aztechead

Reaction score
This is my first GM truck and I can’t figure out what GM was thinking with the seat setup and telescoping steering wheel.

I’m 6’2” and I cannot for the life of me find a seating configuration where I’m not reaching for the steering wheel. My feet are either crammed up to the dash or I’m a mile back from the steering wheel.

Might be a me problem, but curious any advice on adjustments that have worked for others.

This is my first GM truck and I can’t figure out what GM was thinking with the seat setup and telescoping steering wheel.

I’m 6’2” and I cannot for the life of me find a seating configuration where I’m not reaching for the steering wheel. My feet are either crammed up to the dash or I’m a mile back from the steering wheel.

Might be a me problem, but curious any advice on adjustments that have worked for others.
Maybe you bought the wrong truck?

Its a you problem. Did you not test drive it?

Only thing that seems off to me is the distance in height between gas pedal and brake pedal. Otherwise, plenty of adjustability to be had.

Aztechead - I have the exact, same, problem. Fucking engineers could have easily added two inches to the steering column length... Yep - you heard it brothers, just 2 more inches is all I need to make me happy.

Aztechead - I have the exact, same, problem. Fucking engineers could have easily added two inches to the steering column length... Yep - you heard it brothers, just 2 more inches is all I need to make me happy.
Or adjustable pedal box would do wonders. It’s only noticeable on 3+ hour drives. Not a deal breaker but not something that revealed itself during my test drives. I’m 1100 miles in and love every other aspect of the truck

Or adjustable pedal box would do wonders. It’s only noticeable on 3+ hour drives. Not a deal breaker but not something that revealed itself during my test drives. I’m 1100 miles in and love every other aspect of the truck
True, but I have always driven in the "bato" position - seat way back and reclined. So pedal adjustability doesn't ameliorate the steering column length issue. Seems like another cost-cutting venture.... 2 inches here, low-brow shitty software there. But the sound of that V-8 and the amazing acceleration wipe away the little probs.

Yep - you heard it brothers, just 2 more inches is all I need to make me happy.
1714352031676.gif

My last three trucks have been Chevy, they are comfortable to me. But every one is different. My wife has really short legs. I do wish they would still do the adjustable pedals. She can't really get in a good position. If she raises the seat for visibility, she has to move the seat way forward to reach the pedals ok. That's probably my only complaint with the interiors. Other brands offer adjustable pedals. It's a little odd to me that GM doesn't on any trim.

I noticed this early on as well - 6’3” - really wish the telescoping extended further. I have get pretty close to the steering wheel.

I have three other GM trucks I drive very regularly and have zero issues with adjustment/comfort…so while this is a “me problem”, I know this truck’s driver configuration isn’t as adjustable as previous generations.

Last edited:
I'm 6 and I didn't like it at first, but it barely works for me and I'm used to it now.

My last two GM rigs had electric steering wheel and pedal adjustments, so you could dial it in perfectly short or tall. Not sure why they made the change to eliminate.......probably for the short kings!

Last edited:
I'm 6 and I didn't like it at first, but it barely works for me and I'm used to it now.

My last two GM rigs had electric steering wheel and pedal adjustments, so you could dial it in perfectly short or tall. Not sure why they made the change to eliminate.......probably for the short kings!
GM is going the way of Harley Davidson. Less content for more money.

My last three trucks have been Chevy, they are comfortable to me. But every one is different. My wife has really short legs. I do wish they would still do the adjustable pedals. She can't really get in a good position. If she raises the seat for visibility, she has to move the seat way forward to reach the pedals ok. That's probably my only complaint with the interiors. Other brands offer adjustable pedals. It's a little odd to me that GM doesn't on any trim.
First thing my wife complained about on day 2 was not reaching pedals easily in the Tahoe. She's 5'7", so not short, but likes seat high to see over front end. Her exact response to the $90k rig, "I like the old one better"......LMFAO.

Are you sure your not getting the steering column confused with what your wife wants and needs :unsure:

I’m 5’7 (on a good day 😂) and feel like a midget in the HD Z. I also need the seat as high as it will go for visibility over that large hump in the dash! I have to really reach for the wheel or put the seat up far enough that my feet get tangled up in the pedals. I have been struggling with the harshness of the seat due to the non adjustable lower lumbar so I bought a gel pad from Purple. It lifts my rear end up enough to get that firm lower fixed lumbar out of the small of my back and it allows me to lower the seat so the pedals and wheel fit me much better. As I stated in another thread, I pulled the driver seat from my new Tahoe High Country and put it in the Z and it made the Z instantly a different and much nicer driver! I have new factory upper and lower seat covers and looking for a seat from a wrecked High Country. Until then, the gel pad is working but I want it right and comfy for this summer’s boating adventures!

I'm 6'1 and it seems fine to me. my TRX has movable pedals but no telescope in the column so it's the same damn thing I'm not sure what the big deal is.

If you want the best of both worlds get a Ford super duty, my King Ranch has both. and that's what most people should do since all they seem to do is bitch about the GM products they keep buying.

I'm 6'1 and it seems fine to me. my TRX has movable pedals but no telescope in the column so it's the same damn thing I'm not sure what the big deal is.

If you want the best of both worlds get a Ford super duty, my King Ranch has both. and that's what most people should do since all they seem to do is bitch about the GM products they keep buying.
Nobody on this site drives a Furd. Only Chevy, Ram, Toyota.

Most Member Reactions

Back