Silverado ZR2 Overland build

Almurr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to share a build plan I've been putting together recently for spectating Dakar in the coming years so I could go off the grid for 7-12 days and be comfortable with my truck.

Here is a list of things I have put together and will be installing on the truck soon:
-Uptop Zulu Roof rack (up top Zulu rack link)
-IKAMPER BDV duo roof top tent (Ikamper RTT Link)
-Clevershade 180 or 270 Awning (still waiting on deciding which one to get out of the 2) (Clevershade 270 deluxe link)
-Quick Pitch Shower Awning
-Companion Aquaheat lithium gas shower (got to have the luxury of a hot shower during cold climates!) (Companion hot shower link)
-Ecoflow Glacier dual zone fridge freezer (ECOFLOW fridge link)
-Ecoflow DELTA 2 portable power station (ECOFLOW powerstation link)

and for lighting mods:
-X4 Baja designs LP6 (bumper mounted)
-x2 Baja designs LP4 (A-pillar mounted)
-x1 Baja designs 40-inch ONYX6 dual control (roof-mounted)
-x4 Baja designs rock lights (2 mounted on each side of the roof rack)
-x2 Baja designs S2 pros (mounted on the rear of the roof rack for chase lights)

for gear boxes and kitchen equipment, I am still waiting out on what to decide on carrying for extended trips. Not a fan of drawer systems since I still want usable bed space to carry my dirtbike around whenever I want to.

I'm happy to hear what you guys think and have to share!
I will definitely be posting build photos when things come together!

Should be a hell of a rig! Look forward to seeing it come together!

got a small update to share on the build. i had to cancel on getting a roof rack from uptop, unfortunately they only accept wire transactions for international customers, which is weird since i really never had a problem with online payments with any online vendor based in the USA shipping internationally.

Decided to go with KB Voodoo Fabrications bedrack should be more practical, especially mounting all my awnings onto it.
KB Voodoo website link

Reactions: AXE
Update!

Bedrack and IKAMPER rooftop tent installed!

img 5.JPG

just to note if anybody decides to install the bed rack I've listed and ensure bed cover compatibility, their website does list their bedracks can accept some bed covers, my bed cover is the BAK REVOLVER X4s.
There was a slight issue with the install because the added bed rack platform added extra thickness which wouldnt allow the cover to completely fit correctly.

Plastic trim was removed from the top of the bedsides and trimmed down to make room for the bed cover again.
Bellow image is an idea where the trimming was required.
img 6marked.JPG
img 4.jpg

Bellow photos post trimming , and the last image is for your reference to see the clearance of the rooftop tent from the roof of the truck.

I believe it was around a 6 inch clearance which is perfectly fine, and if anybody was wondering if my rear view mirror camera is blocked, it is not with this specific bed rack height it cleared the camera view perfectly and nothing is blocking it.
Overall happy with the rack and rooftop just need to finish up the auxiliary lights to be installed, and waiting on my awnings to come through.

img2.jpg
img1.jpg
img 3.jpg

Another update coming through, might also make a separate post on the forum too since this is front camera related.

Since i will be installing front auxiliary lights that might block the view of the front camera, I needed to find a solution to avoid an issues with my front camera view being obstructed or blocked and i couldnt seem to find anything online for our silverado platform.

Just to give you an idea how my light set up will be the inspiration is from Dirt Kings instagram page, bellow image

Dirt king truck zr2.jpg

I did manage to get in touch with the owner of the truck and he did mention the lights to obstruct the front camera view only on the left and the right sides of the truck but has no issue with the front, which isnt something i would frankly be comfortable with.

I did stumble upon a relocate kit for a ford raptor made by a company called nine volt ( Link to camera relocate kit ) bellow image for your reference
Nine volt ford f-150 raptor front relocate kit.JPG

As you can see they offer an extension wire for the camera along with the housing, I did end up ordering this and decided to try my luck with it, I did face some implications but luckily the camera wire in the kit is compatible with our cameras but the housing needs to be modified, interestingly our cameras are much larger than the ones on the ford raptor (very ironic for a very expensive truck like the ford raptor having a smaller camera) bellow images for a before and after trimming of the camera housing to accommodate my camera into it.

Camera case before trimming.JPG
Before trimming
trimming photo.jpg
After trimming
camera and wire installed.jpg
Camera and wire installed post trimming
outside photo of camera in case.jpg
Please note you will have to also trim the diameter of the camera hole to accommodate the bigger lense of the camera if you plan on doing something like this.

Reactions: AXE
That is exceptional work and looks great!

Those Toyo MTs look great. I usually run them, may go back to them.

Can't wait to see your truck to continue to progress.

Thanks Axe!
still waiting on the awning to come through from Australia since me and my friends put in our orders together to save on shipping costs.

Hopefully the truck should have everything installed and ready for winter by the end of the month!

That is exceptional work and looks great!

Those Toyo MTs look great. I usually run them, may go back to them.

Can't wait to see your truck to continue to progress.

Another update coming through, might also make a separate post on the forum too since this is front camera related.

Since i will be installing front auxiliary lights that might block the view of the front camera, I needed to find a solution to avoid an issues with my front camera view being obstructed or blocked and i couldnt seem to find anything online for our silverado platform.

Just to give you an idea how my light set up will be the inspiration is from Dirt Kings instagram page, bellow image

View attachment 7689

I did manage to get in touch with the owner of the truck and he did mention the lights to obstruct the front camera view only on the left and the right sides of the truck but has no issue with the front, which isnt something i would frankly be comfortable with.

I did stumble upon a relocate kit for a ford raptor made by a company called nine volt ( Link to camera relocate kit ) bellow image for your reference
View attachment 7690

As you can see they offer an extension wire for the camera along with the housing, I did end up ordering this and decided to try my luck with it, I did face some implications but luckily the camera wire in the kit is compatible with our cameras but the housing needs to be modified, interestingly our cameras are much larger than the ones on the ford raptor (very ironic for a very expensive truck like the ford raptor having a smaller camera) bellow images for a before and after trimming of the camera housing to accommodate my camera into it.

View attachment 7691 Before trimming
View attachment 7692After trimming View attachment 7693Camera and wire installed post trimming
View attachment 7694Please note you will have to also trim the diameter of the camera hole to accommodate the bigger lense of the camera if you plan on doing something like this.
🤯
Wow. Are you from the future??
Badass

View attachment 7689

View attachment 7690

View attachment 7691 Before trimming
View attachment 7692After trimming View attachment 7693Camera and wire installed post trimming
View attachment 7694Please note you will have to also trim the diameter of the camera hole to accommodate the bigger lense of the camera if you plan on doing something like this.
got an update on this, contacted Nine volt the company that developed the camera relocation kit for the raptor.

We should be expecting a relocation kit soon for the Silverado ZR2 in the coming weeks as it is being developed now.
glad to be part of working with them and giving them insight on my mod and overall feedback of fitment!

Coming through with another update!

So far, front light mount is out for powder coat, managed to finalize a mounting location if anybody is interested in seeing the mounting mounts on the bumper without drilling onto it, bellow photos and videos with lights on and off.
p1.jpg
p4.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg

You can see on the bellow photo how i mounted my front camera relocation case, I made sure it was on the same vertical axis of the stock camera location, wanted to make sure everything was as close to OEM camera geometry as much as possible.

p7.jpg
p5.jpg
p6.jpg

and here's a video of the lights on the truck

BUILD UPDATE!
Majority of the build is done, unfortunately the awnings are not installed yet, since the truck had to be previewed at a local off-road exhibition here in the UAE.

But finally some photos to share!

b1.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg

b2.jpg

b5.jpg
b6.jpg
b7.jpg

b8.jpg
b9.jpg

If anything, the way the switch pro panel was mounted onto the dash is one of my favorite things about my build.
My current lighting set up is:
-4 LP6 BAJA DESIGNS front bumper mounted
-2 LP4 BAJA DESIGNS A pillar mounted
-2 S2 PRO BAJA DESIGNS rear mounted on bed rack as chase lights
-4 Rock lights BAJA DESIGNS 2 mounted on each side of the bed rack.

You can also see the midnight forest rain basin 8 gal water tank mounted on the right side of the truck, will also be mounting fuel jerry cans or ROTO paxs on the left side of the truck for extra fuel.

Last edited:
BUILD UPDATE!
Majority of the build is done, unfortunately the awnings are not installed yet, since the truck had to be previewed at a local off-road exhibition here in the UAE.

But finally some photos to share!

View attachment 8121View attachment 8123View attachment 8124
View attachment 8122

View attachment 8125View attachment 8126View attachment 8127

View attachment 8128View attachment 8129

If anything, the way the switch pro panel was mounted onto the dash is one of my favorite things about my build.
My current lighting set up is:
-4 LP6 BAJA DESIGNS front bumper mounted
-2 LP4 BAJA DESIGNS A pillar mounted
-2 S2 PRO BAJA DESIGNS rear mounted on bed rack as chase lights
-4 Rock lights BAJA DESIGNS 2 mounted on each side of the bed rack.

You can also see the midnight forest rain basin 8 gal water tank mounted on the right side of the truck, will also be mounting fuel jerry cans or ROTO paxs on the left side of the truck for extra fuel.
Any chance that light mount on the front bumper is available for purchase? I know it's a custom job, but I figured there's a chance... Looks epic mate

Most Member Reactions

Back