Steering stabilizer

8ball_99

Reaction score
I installed a steering stabilizer from Suspension Maxx. I also added Cognito forged pitman idler arm support kit at the same time. Made a big difference in the way my HD handles. Steering feels so much better. Doesn't have any slop. Bump steer seems to basically be gone. Just figured I'd share my opinion for anyone thinking about this upgrade.

I also changed my torsion bars out for Cognito comfort ride bars. But that was because my truck was optioned with a snow plow prep package. So I had the heavier rate bars. I'm sure that didn't help my bump steer either.
20240414_205647.jpg

20240414_213514.jpg

Anyone installed this on their Bison version yet? Curious if the extra skid plates get in the way of the install or it’s as simple as dropping them and reinstalling. @8ball_99 notice ride changes with the cognito bars?

Anyone installed this on their Bison version yet? Curious if the extra skid plates get in the way of the install or it’s as simple as dropping them and reinstalling. @8ball_99 notice ride changes with the cognito bars?
I don't think it would be a problem on a bison. I also have a skidplate in the front that had to be dropped for the install. Mine is just aluminum vs the steel one on a bison. If anything you might have to either trim or flip that one shock bolt on the driver's side. I was actually worried about it hitting on mine when I first installed it. I was just going to cut it flush with the nut. But the skid plate doesn't touch it at all.

Yes the new bars do seem much better. I've only driven it about 15 miles with them. So hard to say exactly how much yet. I need to hit some of those spots the old bars struggled with to really get a better feel for the difference. I've got to go downtown in about an hour, lol so I'll get to test them out on railroad tracks, speed bumps, crappy roads, ect.

Put about 150 miles on it since doing these upgrades.. Night and day difference. Truck drives so much better. No more mushy steering. I'm not sawing the steering wheel back and forth on narrow country roads. I'm not sure what did what or if it's the combination. But 100% fixed my issue with the way the truck drove. Bump steer is gone. Torsion bars are better and the truck rides much smoother over big hits. I've been speeding up on big bumps trying to make it harsh ot jerk the wheel. Way more enjoyable to drive now. It should have came this way from the factory, IMO.

@8ball_99 when you installed the steering stabilizer did you need to lift the truck or can it be done with jacks alone?
Steering stabilizer alone is very easy. You could do it with a jack and stands easily. It bolts right on and you only have to loosen the lower control arm bolt. You don't have to remove it. It bolts right up, no drilling, ect.

The pitman idler arm braces would be a lot harder to do on the ground. They bolt right up also. But you have to take a bunch of stuff loose. And access to everything is a bit of a pain. I'm sure it could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it on the ground.

What year is your truck and how many miles do you have? My 24 has 1200 on it and I am not seeing any bump steer but these torsion bars are pretty harsh! On my 06 2500 LBZ Dmax, I had to upgrade the tie rods after I tuned it. Wondering if this truck needs the beefed up tie rods also?

What year is your truck and how many miles do you have? My 24 has 1200 on it and I am not seeing any bump steer but these torsion bars are pretty harsh! On my 06 2500 LBZ Dmax, I had to upgrade the tie rods after I tuned it. Wondering if this truck needs the beefed up tie rods also?
It's a 24 ZR2 HD on stock wheels. I have 4400 miles on mine. I think my tie rod ends are fine. They seemed pretty solid when I was under there. My front end was definitely oversprung. Maybe that made the bump steer more noticeable? But my truck handles way better with these changes. The steering is firmer and tighter. Firmer I'm assuming is the stabilizer. Tighter I'm guessing is the braces. Of course smoother ride is the comfort ride torsion bars.

It's a 24 ZR2 HD on stock wheels. I have 4400 miles on mine. I think my tie rod ends are fine. They seemed pretty solid when I was under there. My front end was definitely oversprung. Maybe that made the bump steer more noticeable? But my truck handles way better with these changes. The steering is firmer and tighter. Firmer I'm assuming is the stabilizer. Tighter I'm guessing is the braces. Of course smoother ride is the comfort ride torsion bars.
So your front ride height remained the same but your ride is smoother?

What I am referring to with respect to the tie rods is simply the small diameter of the factory installed ones being very weak for any off road use/abuse under horse power. I was hoping the newer trucks had improved parts but I was just under there checking it and I see they look the same as the old ones. I will be installing the Cognito tie rods and center link along with the idler brace. I was just made aware of the softer riding torsion bars. I definitely need those do to my bad back and how rough this truck rides with these rock hard seats...lol

Last edited:
Everybody feels things differently. It's interesting to see how everyone perceives the ride quality.

On mine, I can't believe how good it rides. I hit some of the same rough roads I hunt and offroad on and I can run way faster and cleaner. I actually think it rides even better with some weight in the rear or towing. Remember, this is just a tow rig with some offroad bits installed. It weighs 9000lbs if you have any gear or people in it.

Before you start softening hard parts up, you might run 50-52 psi. I think these stock Goodyear Territory tires ride really great.

The braces are a good idea on trucks with larger tires. You'll extend the life of your idler and pitman arms considerably.

Not sure how people bend tie rods under 500HP. I ran 525 HP on my last 2500HD and it had a 6 inch Cognito lift and never a problem in 10 years and 100k miles.

So your front ride height remained the same but your ride is smoother?

What I am referring to with respect to the tie rods is simply the small diameter of the factory installed ones being very weak for any off road use/abuse under horse power. I was hoping the newer trucks had improved parts but I was just under there checking it and I see they look the same as the old ones. I will be installing the Cognito tie rods and center link along with the idler brace. I was just made aware of the softer riding torsion bars. I definitely need those do to my bad back and how rough this truck rides with these rock hard seats...lol

Yes I set mine back to the exact same ride height. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender before I did anything. Once I changed them I just adjusted the preload on the bars to put the ride height the same. These bars are a lighter spring rate so you do have to turn the adjuster bolts on the keys a few more turns. Cognito recommends setting them back to factory plus one turn to start with. Then you just adjust them until you get to your ride height.

I understand what you mean about the tierods. I just meant they seemed solid to me. I never had a problem with the oem ones on my previous HD. Not saying I won't with these. I just didn't see any reason to upgrade them yet. I've broken lots of tierods and axles in SXSs. My trucks don't normally get the same treatment, lol.

42 5/8" that's putting the tape center of the wheel measuring from the ground to the bottom of the black plastic fender flare.
I just checked mine and I have 42 3/4" in the front and 43 5/8" in the rear. I ordered the torsion bars and steering link with old style "normal" tie rods yesterday. I can't wait to see if the torsion bars are a little softer! Speed bumps are absolutely brutal at slow speeds on the front but not really that bad on the rear!

Everybody feels things differently. It's interesting to see how everyone perceives the ride quality.

On mine, I can't believe how good it rides. I hit some of the same rough roads I hunt and offroad on and I can run way faster and cleaner. I actually think it rides even better with some weight in the rear or towing. Remember, this is just a tow rig with some offroad bits installed. It weighs 9000lbs if you have any gear or people in it.

Before you start softening hard parts up, you might run 50-52 psi. I think these stock Goodyear Territory tires ride really great.

The braces are a good idea on trucks with larger tires. You'll extend the life of your idler and pitman arms considerably.

Not sure how people bend tie rods under 500HP. I ran 525 HP on my last 2500HD and it had a 6 inch Cognito lift and never a problem in 10 years and 100k miles.
Over the years of owning MANY GM torsion bar trucks I have never drove two that rode the same. As it is, My 2016 Chevy HC 3500 drw truck rides much smoother than this Z. I do, however, like how the Z rides with my boat hooked to it. I have been tempted to put my golf cart in the back to see if it calms down the harshness...lol I am hoping the new torsion bars cures it. In 06, I swapped torsion bars on my 06 GMC 2500 LBZ and added Sulastic spring shackles to rear and mad it much better.

I am currently running 50 pounds in all the tires. I have found over the years that Good Year tires sometimes ride a little rougher. On my 3500, the Falken Wildpeak AT3's made it ride much smoother than any other tire I tried. The tie rods can have issues by hitting a hard surface while spinning in the soft stuff. I snapped both side at the same time with my LBZ by doing a 4 wheel drive launch on a prepped track racing a Power Stroke lol.

I'm not your average rookie who just bought a truck. I'm a 40 year diesel mechanic who likes to have a little fun and pull heavy at times. I'm a believer that if there is an upgraded part that may save me time and aggravation, I change it! Chevy's steering components have changed very little and every truck I have owned has had Cognito upgraded steering components and bracing.

Over the years of owning MANY GM torsion bar trucks I have never drove two that rode the same. As it is, My 2016 Chevy HC 3500 drw truck rides much smoother than this Z. I do, however, like how the Z rides with my boat hooked to it. I have been tempted to put my golf cart in the back to see if it calms down the harshness...lol I am hoping the new torsion bars cures it. In 06, I swapped torsion bars on my 06 GMC 2500 LBZ and added Sulastic spring shackles to rear and mad it much better.

I am currently running 50 pounds in all the tires. I have found over the years that Good Year tires sometimes ride a little rougher. On my 3500, the Falken Wildpeak AT3's made it ride much smoother than any other tire I tried. The tie rods can have issues by hitting a hard surface while spinning in the soft stuff. I snapped both side at the same time with my LBZ by doing a 4 wheel drive launch on a prepped track racing a Power Stroke lol.

I'm not your average rookie who just bought a truck. I'm a 40 year diesel mechanic who likes to have a little fun and pull heavy at times. I'm a believer that if there is an upgraded part that may save me time and aggravation, I change it! Chevy's steering components have changed very little and every truck I have owned has had Cognito upgraded steering components and bracing.
Should just trade it for a HC 2500HD, then install a Cognito 4 inch lift with Elkas. You'd save yourself money and a lot of messing around. Better looking front clip too.

Should just trade it for a HC 2500HD, then install a Cognito 4 inch lift with Elkas. You'd save yourself money and a lot of messing around. Better looking front clip too.
Not a chance! This ZR2 looks much better in the face! I am tired of after market lift kits! All I'm doing is beefing the steering and softening the ride and will have a full factory warranty on shocks and suspension. Had full Cognito several times and played the "where do I get my next set of ball joints from"!! I'm all good with my decisions AXE, but thanks for the suggestions :giggle:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back