This could be the reason for the new parts shortage and shipping delays.

GearheadSS

Founding Member
Reaction score
For those don't know, many of us with trucks recently built have had a status update of 4D00(vehicle on hold-missing parts). This might be the reason.

Read further into it and you'll see this line.

GM operates on a “just in time” manufacturing system which calls for parts to be sourced as needed, rather than via the creation of a surplus of parts. Although this type of system is leaner and more profitable, it also opens GM to risk if the supply of parts is cut short.

This, imo, is part of the problem at GM. They have no interest in creating a parts surplus. All because they want more profit. That's great but it leaves us, the customer, suffering while our trucks are stuck missing parts. Something needs to change at GM.

For those don't know, many of us with trucks recently built have had a status update of 4D00(vehicle on hold-missing parts). This might be the reason.

Read further into it and you'll see this line.

This, imo, is part of the problem at GM. They have no interest in creating a parts surplus. All because they want more profit. That's great but it leaves us, the customer, suffering while our trucks are stuck missing parts. Something needs to change at GM.
The "just in time" supply chain has been a staple of the global economy for decades now. Its not a GM specific problem. JIT is why everything is broken right now post-covid.

The "just in time" supply chain has been a staple of the global economy for decades now. Its not a GM specific problem. JIT is why everything is broken right now post-covid.
Correct. It's the only way to stay in the black in a global economy competing against other companies, as forecasting inaccuracies and surplus can kill company in no time. Toyota used it in their TPS model.

I just posted an explanation of JIT in another forum. I wish I had come across this article because linking to that would've been way easier than explaining it after a nice, heavy indica.

GM is kind of stuck. The circumstances have them playing a balancing act with a hybrid model that will only become more extreme as the economy struggles. The saving grace is that consumer sentiment is basically a bummed out shrug where everyone just kind of agrees that it sucks but it's not really anyone's fault.

I just posted an explanation of JIT in another forum. I wish I had come across this article because linking to that would've been way easier than explaining it after a nice, heavy indica.

GM is kind of stuck. The circumstances have them playing a balancing act with a hybrid model that will only become more extreme as the economy struggles. The saving grace is that consumer sentiment is basically a bummed out shrug where everyone just kind of agrees that it sucks but it's not really anyone's fault.
Yeah, if GM were the only one with the issue, it would be a much bigger deal.

Most Member Reactions

Back