New to this forum. Used to own a 2000 OBS Chevy Tahoe Z71 with low low miles. Got it from my grandma as a graduation present with only 16k miles. Owned it though college and completely fixed most of its issues, new MPFI spider injectors, fuel pump, ect. Got 25 mpg out of my gen 1 sbc on the highway with 33s was pretty good. Was a great truck till a potential issue with gmt400 ignition switches arose. In August of last year at 52k miles, it was running great, no issues. While off at night the ignition switch shorted out and burned my Tahoe's engine bay to the ground. Was savable and wanted to buy it back from the insurance company as they are worth a bit now in decent condition and low miles, but also fixable ironically, just expensive. It could have been a great project ironically, did love that Tahoe too. Not only they tried to low ball me bad at this insurance company, they also sold it without a title that was in my possession. That did go well for the insurance company selling a vehicle without a title is illegal and while an insurance claim is still open. Originally was wanting a 2002 4x4 2500HD with the 5 Allison and the legendary 8.1. I'd have 4wd still, have a big block, and can tow my racecars now as my Tahoe couldn't tow the trailer I have and my dad was who towed as my Tahoe could tow it unloaded, but that was it. Looked at a lot of low mile trucks in Socal with "no issues" and people wanting 30k for their truck with 150k miles, I understand 50k or even less, but not 150k. Especially with no maintenance too. With the insurance having to payout as I could sue, they agreed to pay me out a decent sum as overall it would be a big loss for both of us, also my mom used to work for them as an insurance agent and knew the CEO lol. Was liking the new 2024 2500 HD ZR2 that just dropped at the time late 2023. Probably at my young age the only new truck I could possibly buy, and it be decently reliable. Has torison bar IFS front suspension like my Tahoe had, tbh the truck with most ground clearance in 20 years once my old Tahoe, stock 35s with sidewall unlike half tons, has metal bumpers, front ones you can damage as you can replace parts of it without others being damaged off-road as it's a multi price front bumper like the AEV Bison version, very similar shocks like on my own USAC/WMR Midget racecars DSSV, hydraulic power steering than electric with a simlar steering box and setup to my Tahoe, hydroboost brakes feel better than my mom's 21 Z71 Tahoe half ton brakes, go off-road, there's an aftermarket already as a lot of parts are shared on 2011-2024 trucks now, and unlike the other ZR2s tow heavy loads. Even with the half ton ZR2, my Trailer maxes out the truck unloaded. Now loaded with a Gen Y hitch I got too maybe an inch or so squat at 12500 lbs. Feels so stable too over the gmt400 and gmt800 trucks I truly grew up with. My whole family is GM family first with my Grandpa working for Boeing and Raytheon during the GM days. Your parking sensors are my grandpas invention. My Uncle worked for Chrysler and help invent the opposing piston engine. Getting back to the truck though lol. Found it in Tracy California as no dealerships had a gas truck only diesels in my area at the time. Was listed as a Base ZR2. No sunroof which is rare, no flex pro tailgate, ironically the tailgate is a standard power tailgate you get on work and custom trucks which I love, but once I bought it and received it October 2023. It had a lot of options lot listed on the window Sticker. 360 cameras, that's a technology package I had to buy, but didn't. I check the RPO codes as my old Tahoe was a X88 GMC Yukon PPV vehicle turned into a Chevy. My mom's Tahoe is like that too. But even my new truck is a low vin first production X88 2500 GMC AT4x converted into a Chevy ZR2. So it's a Base AT4x sold as a ZR2 at MSRP. Same ZR2 interior yes too, but I got the AT4X standard transfer case skidplate without the bison package for a ZR2, the technology package, without the it listed on the window sticker, a few other things too. Ironically too you know you have a early 2500 ZR2 or AT4x when they come with the wrong taillights too. I don't mind them and already upgraded the backup bulbs to LED. Pretty much got a 80k truck with some features missing I wanted anyways for 72k without tax in all. I say I scored a bit. But with it being a base ZR2 no steps, but already got off-road side steps from Chevy. They don't stick lower than the frame like the other ones they sell. Was thinking of going aftermarket, but like the ones I got. This picture is a older pic when new in October too. Need to clean the truck up again if I do take pics with the steps again lol. And now at 1800 miles so far minimal issues, my LF fender well rubs at times in reverse out of some spots noticed GM for an updated part as others are having the same issues, the touch screen radio locked up when first using it but then shortly fixed itself haven't had an issue since, my driver seat bottom foam has deformed already just from one trip so the leather ant tight like new getting fixed under warranty soon and might need an updated part, and a bad parking sensor module fixed under warranty. Had to wait a month for the module though. Ironically after it acted up and was bad, it didn't act up again and didn't get any blocked parking assist messages. Will say so far been able to get 8-10 city, and 16.5 is my best so far on the highway to Vegas. Sorry for the long read, just exited about my new adventure with my HD ZR2. Kinda still in shock I have a almost dream truck. And yes from what ya have read too, my dad and I went racing together for 10 years with quarter midgets and midget racecars. Currently have a 2015 33 inch Spike House car and building a WMR Ecotec series with a old 1997 Narrow Body Stealth frame. Other than my Tahoe I have also owned a 70 Chevelle Malibu for a bit I was restoring but then at a blind two way stop sign this Tacoma T boned me at 50 mph in a residential street and totaled it. Ironically with my bad luck at times with cars pretty good at fixing them too. Good with a old Quadrajet to the new Direct injected stuff like my new 6.6 L8T. The ten speed Allison on this gas truck is nuts too and needed it a long time ago! Will say too like all HD trucks it rides stiff at low speeds and has its limits when pushing the suspension off-road due to size and weight over the smaller trucks. At highway speeds it's smooth as my mom's 2021 Tahoe on airbags. But probably won't be so smooth as you think over rocks.
Wow .... hope you enjoy your new ride!!!

I am even biased to the last gen LWM baby Duramax ZR2s. Maybe sometime in the future too for me along with the 2 door Tahoe, k10, and a older F body Camaro of some sorts. I like too many cars and trucks, just too broke for it all right now after the new addition lol. My buddy in lighting sprints got one non ZR2 Duramax Colorados and for his single car operation its great. Unloaded hes getting average 30 plus mpg, around 15 loaded with a uhaul trailer. Even the owner of the WMR series I am helping out with has a 2020 3.0 1500 and that thing last weekend got 28 mpg unloaded lol. Only thing about the gen 1 3.0s I dont like is the 120k oil pump belt replacement. Diesel emissions too and why I got a gas hd truck as most of the time I am only towing 12-13k. 10k cheaper too on price. Smog even in Cali is just cats, evap, and PCV for my new truck. Kinda why I want a two door Tahoe, if I can find a rare 6.5 Tahoe with no smog as in California if its '97 or newer its got to be smogged . If not no smog.

Most Member Reactions

Back