What other project's are you working on?

CanZr2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is mine at the moment...

1714918755306.png

Currently a '69 RS/SS 396 Camaro and a '66 tri-power GTO.

Here's a couple I'm finished with,

View attachment 12642View attachment 12643
Those F 250 from that era are a timeless design. The square body Chevies are popular and I've seen them bring big money at BJ Auctions. They have to have a 502" BB or a hot LS motor to do it. I've seen some go for 50K, with the right combination of paint, engine, driveline. Cool stuff!

Thanks, I bought the high boy from the second owner , sold new here in Oregon. it's an XLT with factory air and about every option you could buy except the automatic. as you probably know high boys only came with a 6 cylinder or a 360 2V. so I found a 428 CJ out of a Torino and rebuilt it to replace the 360. then put a Gear Vendor behind the 4spd which works great. at the time I restored it I figured I had double what it was worth in it but the way vintage 4x4's are going these days maybe not.

I've had a lot of fun old rigs I wish I had most of them back. living here in the high desert rust free rigs are easy to find so life's been good. but the cars have pretty much been picked over by now so pickups are all that's left to find.

I can't decide if I like the stock wheels or the vintage Western Turbine's best, so I swap them from time to time.

IMG_0482.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 14
Here they be!

Attachments

• IMG_1939[1].JPG
    IMG_1939[1].JPG
    278 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1938[1].JPG
    IMG_1938[1].JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1937[1].JPG
    IMG_1937[1].JPG
    313 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1936[1].JPG
    IMG_1936[1].JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1935[1].JPG
    IMG_1935[1].JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1934[1].JPG
    IMG_1934[1].JPG
    263 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1933[1].JPG
    IMG_1933[1].JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1932[1].JPG
    IMG_1932[1].JPG
    308 KB · Views: 19
Thanks, I bought the high boy from the second owner , sold new here in Oregon. it's an XLT with factory air and about every option you could buy except the automatic. as you probably know high boys only came with a 6 cylinder or a 360 2V. so I found a 428 CJ out of a Torino and rebuilt it to replace the 360. then put a Gear Vendor behind the 4spd which works great. at the time I restored it I figured I had double what it was worth in it but the way vintage 4x4's are going these days maybe not.

I've had a lot of fun old rigs I wish I had most of them back. living here in the high desert rust free rigs are easy to find so life's been good. but the cars have pretty much been picked over by now so pickups are all that's left to find.

I can't decide if I like the stock wheels or the vintage Western Turbine's best, so I swap them from time to time.

View attachment 12660
i love the AC...nice!!!

About to help my boy drop a new motor in his KX250F. He smoked the motor and it was a mess. Short skirt piston completely turned in the cylinder and knocked a hole in the water jacket.

I ended up talking to a former Kawasaki mechanic for a Team Green rider. He said he had a left over motor, that was in good shape. As it turned out, the motor was a crate motor that never had been run. I picked it up for $1500, which is less than a rebuild would cost. This motor has a redesigned head, so should produce a little more power too.

Attachments

• IMG_4924(2).jpg
    IMG_4924(2).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 9129D29F-.jpg
    9129D29F-.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 734204557.jpg
    734204557.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5007(1).jpg
    IMG_5007(1).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 14
  • SmartSelect_20240509_221910_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240509_221910_Gallery.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SmartSelect_20240509_221926_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240509_221926_Gallery.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
About to help my boy drop a new motor in his KX250F. He smoked the motor and it was a mess. Short skirt piston completely turned in the cylinder and knocked a hole in the water jacket.

I ended up talking to a former Kawasaki mechanic for a Team Green rider. He said he had a left over motor, that was in good shape. As it turned out, the motor was a crate motor that never had been run. I picked it up for $1500, which is less than a rebuild would cost. This motor has a redesigned head, so should produce a little more power too.
That was a steel on crate motor. Plus save ton of time getting going. I just fixed a crf 50 for a friend’s grandsons. They thought it was a basket case, brought over big box parts. 2 hrs later,
Carb clean, new spark plug, valve adjustment, tune carb, run like new. Total cost of parts used 3.75$. Mechanic wanted 120 just to look at. Priceless seeing the smiles on these little boys.

I used to sell these years ago. The Kawi's were always very fast. It's amazing that a 450 4 stroke, these days can punch out 50 HP. The only thing that has a piston skirt anymore is a diesel engine! That's a good find.

That was a steel on crate motor. Plus save ton of time getting going. I just fixed a crf 50 for a friend’s grandsons. They thought it was a basket case, brought over big box parts. 2 hrs later,
Carb clean, new spark plug, valve adjustment, tune carb, run like new. Total cost of parts used 3.75$. Mechanic wanted 120 just to look at. Priceless seeing the smiles on these little boys.
I am thinking about rebuilding the smoked motor too. I think parts would be about $1000 for top and bottom end. I've never done a bottom end, so I might run out of talent. I figured it might be a good learning opportunity for my boy. I suppose the downside is spending a pile of $ and it wouldn't run. I think we'll at least split the case and see what it looks like.

I am thinking about rebuilding the smoked motor too. I think parts would be about $1000 for top and bottom end. I've never done a bottom end, so I might run out of talent. I figured it might be a good learning opportunity for my boy. I suppose the downside is spending a pile of $ and it wouldn't run. I think we'll at least split the case and see what it looks like.
I think last bike I rebuilt motor few years ago RMZ 250 was 750$ kit. Be great for boys. Back in the day we send cranks out, now I think its just toss. If fragments
Got into gears, shift forks have always been sensitive and bend easy out of tolerance. If bike does not shift like new
We used to toss the shift forks while case pulled apart. That was the day 40 min remove engine split cases lay out on bench. Wait 2 weeks to get parts and have machine shop work done and mailed back. 🤪. Id get that shop manual and groom them boys, they going to love knowing how to do stuff like this.

Just replaced the motor in my 2017 Harley Ultra Limited at 84,000 miles. Cam bearing failed and sent metal throughout the motor. Cost was $10k but we did enlarge it from 107 to 119 cubic inches. Now I remember why I didn’t mind the cost of dirt bike parts.

Just replaced the motor in my 2017 Harley Ultra Limited at 84,000 miles. Cam bearing failed and sent metal throughout the motor. Cost was $10k but we did enlarge it from 107 to 119 cubic inches. Now I remember why I didn’t mind the cost of dirt bike parts.
Yeah, that's a serious expense. Hopefully good for another 84k miles.

Most Member Reactions

Back