What's this thing

CanZr2

Founding Member
Reaction score
Was poking for a good power source and came across this little guy, hanging on a loom between the spare tire and bumper. Also side note.... what about a cheap tire cover to keep debris and rock chips off of the spare.

1699674432080.png

1699674463679.png

I think that may be a extra optic or wire for an option not present, or for an OEM addon would be my guess. I too am worried about destroying the wheel on my spare, I ordered these and expect them here this week coming.

Spare protector

This to cover the tire based on the recommendation of the guy that makes the spare protector

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that may be a extra optic or wire for an option not present, or for an OEM addon would be my guess. I too am worried about destroying the wheel on my spare, I ordered these and expect them here this week coming.

Spare protector

This to cover the tire based on the recommendation of the guy that makes the spare protector

Let us know how this goes. I am interested as well.

Spare protector

pretty pricey for a piece of plastic....

And as an extra note on all this...
The spare protector maker said that due to the curvature of the protector I would likely need to turn the wheel upside down facing up to the truck bed so that the protector doesn't contact the rim in the center, and while he recommended a vinyl cover for the whole tire, he couldn't recommend a specific make/model, but he said as long as it covered the tire it would work just fine, I researched and decided on the slightly oversized one that would fit a 34"-35" tire even though mine are only 33.5. I could have probably gotten by ok with the XL size but figured that the slightly larger cover might be better at covering the spare far enough that the protector would go over the edge of it and make for a more completely covered and protected outcome, I was afraid the XL cover edge might end up on the outside of the protector. Either way they are both 15 day returnable (I pay return shipping) if they don't work out the way I want. I will just throw down some large cardboard to work it so I don't damage anything in case I do decide to return part or all of it.

So I have played around with this enough over the last month to be able to finally finish my setup for the spare, I'm tagging you all that commented so you all see this hopefully... maybe it will help somehow.

@CanZr2 @KodiakEd @AXE @FlyZR2

First discovery was, when I took the spare tire down to clean and inspect it before doing all this, I discovered that my 2 week old truck with 500 miles on the clock had damage to the sidewall on the spare tire in a number of spots where it rested on the frame underneath. It was obviously rubbing/moving to some degree, some of the spots weren't too bad, but a couple had gone throught a bit of rubber and I didn't want to have to count on it if I ever needed it since I'm sure it would've gotten worse over time and miles. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to replace it 1 time under warranty. I thought I remembered here on this forum that someone else ran into this on a new truck, and in the end I think they decided that the tire wasn't quite locked up tight or had come loose and the cable backed off enough to allow the movement, either way I knew this needed some kind of solution to keep it from happening again to the new tire.

Sidewall damage worst spot1.jpg
Sidewall damage worst spot2.jpg

The new tire was mounted and high speed balanced and I ordered the cover and the spare protector.
The spare protector came and will definately do the job, it is thick enough and sturdy enough to hold the tire and protect the rim and almost all of the sidewall out till about the edge lugs in the tread, expensive, possibly, but I think it will have been worth it.

Next was the cover, I ordered the one in the link above, I couldn't find an XXXL size (like in the description) but decided that the XXL size was listed for 34-35 inch tires (my factory 275/70R18's are really only 32.5-33 inches), so I thought I would be safe and maybe have a little slack to work with. First they sent me totally the wrong one, a different model, white with a skull on it. I contacted them, returned the wrong one on their dime, and they sent the right thing the second time. I question whether or not it is indeed an XXL, more like an XL (meant for my tire size), since man, that thing was like trying to work a pair of skinny jeans onto a very large person. In the end I realized maybe defalting the tire a bit may have helped, but I doubt much, so I am really questioning their "size" was accurate one way or another (either they sent me an XL or they just run super tight until they maybe stretch a bit, but there is no way that thing would have gone on a 34-35 inch tire), I worked it slow and eventually it went on and fits the stock tire perfectly no matter the actual size and I expect it to loosen a bit over some time maybe. Here is the wrong one, the right one matches the desctiption in the listing for form and features exactly, even if not the size.

386877290_2448062115355138_5630803060015235905_n.jpg
399975836_560488642930963_5920595853911955755_n.jpg

I am going to let the cover stretch a bit, undo it and clean the rim again, and I have a spot to touch up on the paint where they dinged the rim getting an old balancing weight off, the gloss black touchup paint they gave me should do fine to protect the aluminum there.

I will finish documenting more with pics in the next couple days, stay tuned for more on this, but right now it looks like it's gonna be a touchdown in the end.

Last edited:
So I have played around with this enough over the last month to be able to finally finish my setup for the spare, I'm tagging you all that commented so you all see this hopefully... maybe it will help somehow.

@CanZr2 @KodiakEd @AXE @FlyZR2

First discovery was, when I took the spare tire down to clean and inspect it before doing all this, I discovered that my 2 week old truck with 500 miles on the clock had damage to the sidewall on the spare tire in a number of spots where it rested on the frame underneath. It was obviously rubbing/moving to some degree, some of the spots weren't too bad, but a couple had gone throught a bit of rubber and I didn't want to have to count on it if I ever needed it since I'm sure it would've gotten worse over time and miles. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to replace it 1 time under warranty. I thought I remembered here on this forum that someone else ran into this on a new truck, and in the end I think they decided that the tire wasn't quite locked up tight or had come loose and the cable backed off enough to allow the movement, either way I knew this needed some kind of solution to keep it from happening again to the new tire.

View attachment 9063View attachment 9064

The new tire was mounted and high speed balanced and I ordered the cover and the spare protector.
The spare protector came and will definately do the job, it is thick enough and sturdy enough to hold the tire and protect the rim and almost all of the sidewall out till about the edge lugs in the tread, expensive, possibly, but I think it will have been worth it.

Next was the cover, I ordered the one in the link above, I couldn't find an XXXL size (like in the description) but decided that the XXL size was listed for 34-35 inch tires (my factory 275/70R18's are really only 32.5-33 inches), so I thought I would be safe and maybe have a little slack to work with. First they sent me totally the wrong one, a different model, white with a skull on it. I contacted them, returned the wrong one on their dime, and they sent the right thing the second time. I question whether or not it is indeed and XXL, more like an XL (meant for my tire size), since man, that thing was like trying to work a pair of skinny jeans onto a very large person. In the end I realized maybe defalting the tire a bit may have helped, but I doubt much, so I am really questioning their "size" was accurate one way or another (either they sent me an XL or they just run super tight until they maybe stretch a bit, but there is no way that thing would have gone on a 34-35 inch tire), I worked it slow and eventually it went on and fits the stock tire perfectly no matter the actual size and I expect it to loosen a bit over some time maybe. Here is the wrong one, the right one matches the desctiption in the listing for form and features exactly, even if not the size.

View attachment 9067View attachment 9068

I am going to let the cover stretch a bit, undo it and clean the rim again, and I have a spot to touch up on the paint where they dinged the rim getting an old balancing weight off, the gloss black touchup paint they gave me should do fine to protect the aluminum there.

I will finish documenting more with pics in the next couple days, stay tuned for more on this, but right now it looks like it's gonna be a touchdown in the end.
Thanks for the write-up. I will review in more detail when I have more time and make sure that I get the larger size cover when the times comes for the purchase. (y)

One more little update...
Once left half installed with the zipper portion at the fattest part of the tire for a few days it stretched a little and loosened up well enough to be able to fit the vinyl cover on much easier, even with 42 PSI in the tire. Cleaned up the rim, touched up any spots to keep them from corroding, and put a little wax on the wheel to help keep it in a little better condition over time. I put a thin layer of grease on the hub center hole so it doesn't corrode, and if/when I need to change a flat it should slip right on without any issues, I usually apply a thin layer at each tire rotaion too just to keep things in check. I put the cover on and zipped it closed, then laid the tire protector in place so all that is left is to clean the frame where the tire will rest, and hoist that puppy tight up into place. I may decide to try and apply some vinyl protectant onto the vinyl cover to help with wear, but being on the bottom out of the sun it may not need much. I will likely drop it a few times over 1000 miles or so and inspect it to see how it is fairing and see if there is anything further that needs to be addressed.

Covered Spare Back.jpg
Covered Spare Front2.jpg
Covered Spare Back with Protector.jpg

Also @CanZr2, if you are just interested in protecting the rim from rock chips and such I think just the tire cover will do a pretty good job, certainly better than having nothing at all.
Thanks. I travel a lot of grid up here, and want to go back to the yukon so Im going to get one... A little pricey but I know it will pay for itself. Thanks for the link to it

Thanks. I travel a lot of grid up here, and want to go back to the yukon so Im going to get one... A little pricey but I know it will pay for itself. Thanks for the link to it
Hey @CanZr2, are you thinking the vinyl cover? Or are you thinking the hard plastic spare protector?
If the hard plastic spare protector just keep one thing in mind, the spare will need to be turned upside down since the shape of the protector will hit the rim if the dress side is facing down, if you are just thinking the vinyl cover I think it would be fine the normal way they sit with the dress side facing down. If just the vinyl cover I would think the only hard part would be manipulating the hoist end through the hole in the center of the cover, but certainly easily doable since the hole is large enough to squeaze your hand through it to work the hoist end T bracket.

Last edited:
Just the hard plastic protector.
You may want to contact Mike who makes these things, his number is in the listing, he recommends a vinyl cover be used with the protector but I can't remember why, perhaps the plastic will cut into the tire or something, at any rate you may want to talk with him before you order.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back