Who's Going To Supercharge Their ZR2?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
There's nothing better than the crack of a supercharged V8! Now that we've confirmed that the new Silverado ZR2 comes with a 6.2L V8 and a 10-speed automatic transmission we want to know who is going to supercharger their truck?!

I currently have a Whipple supercharged F150 with the 5.0L V8 and I absolutely love the performance! I can only imagine how cool the ZR2 will be with a supercharger or turbos!

Very good topic, I will be supercharging mine for sure.
Do you know what aftermarket brands will be making one for this truck?
What one will you go with?

Very good topic, I will be supercharging mine for sure.
Do you know what aftermarket brands will be making one for this truck?
What one will you go with?
My man! I've been so happy with my Whipple Supercharger kit that I haven't looked anywhere else. Plus, it seems like most manufacturers trust Whipple and they seem to play nice together.

Missed opportunity (or maybe a future product release) for Chevy to drop the LT4 as an optional engine in the ZR2. I am not a big fan of the horse power wars in half-ton trucks. Eventually the returns are diminishing for driver experience. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in the 400hp to 650hp range. The current option is at the bottom of that and the LT4 would hit the top of that range.

If the Whipple fits, I'll drop it in. I wonder if the ECU has changed for the 22's and Whipple will need time to unlock and recalibrate the kit specifically for the 22's

I'm going to give Whipple a call here soon, but I doubt they've had a ZR2 to test on yet.

I spoke to Whipple this morning, and the situation is what I thought it would be.

They believe the hardware will fit just fine, but GM introduced new PCMs for the truck for 22, and they are working on unlocking them. No ETA on when or if that will be possible.

I spoke to Whipple this morning, and the situation is what I thought it would be.

They believe the hardware will fit just fine, but GM introduced new PCMs for the truck for 22, and they are working on unlocking them. No ETA on when or if that will be possible.
That's a bummer. The good thing is Whipple has good relationships with the manufacturer and they are usually the first to get access to new ECU tuning. Hopefully, they get something going soon.

Honestly I wouldn’t hold your breath on any serious modifications being possible for quite a while. GM has locked its Global B architecture down tight. The c8 is entering its 4th year and still nothing in the aftermarket. GM is Refusing to work with anyone to allow access. They claim it’s for “safety” with the semi autonomous driving capabilities coming. But I feel it’s more of a pay to play. Want a faster truck? Buy one if and when we make one.

The only option at this point is a secondary standalone engine management system. As that’s what’s being done in the modified C8’s. Not ideal or cheap.

Honestly I wouldn’t hold your breath on any serious modifications being possible for quite a while. GM has locked its Global B architecture down tight. The c8 is entering its 4th year and still nothing in the aftermarket. GM is Refusing to work with anyone to allow access. They claim it’s for “safety” with the semi autonomous driving capabilities coming. But I feel it’s more of a pay to play. Want a faster truck? Buy one if and when we make one.

The only option at this point is a secondary standalone engine management system. As that’s what’s being done in the modified C8’s. Not ideal or cheap.
Lots of legal battles going on in states across the country over this stuff. Right-to-repair legislation is one of the biggest deals that not enough people know about. There are even battles over whether you own the software and data within the vehicle you bought, OEMs want to keep it all in house and treat you more like a subscribed user.

Lots of legal battles going on in states across the country over this stuff. Right-to-repair legislation is one of the biggest deals that not enough people know about. There are even battles over whether you own the software and data within the vehicle you bought, OEMs want to keep it all in house and treat you more like a subscribed user.
Im hopeful but I wont hold my breath for success. The Aftermarket Doesnt have the support it used to in the industy or in this new political Climate.

From an article about the Escalade V:

"Let’s start with the performance, kicking it off with what’s under the hood. Making this thing move is the supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 gasoline engine, which produces 682 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 653 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm."

Wonder if they will make this kit available in the Chevy performance catalog? would like to have it supercharged and still be under warranty.

1652285013620.png

"Let’s start with the performance, kicking it off with what’s under the hood. Making this thing move is the supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 gasoline engine, which produces 682 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 653 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm."

Wonder if they will make this kit available in the Chevy performance catalog? would like to have it supercharged and still be under warranty.

View attachment 218
A kit for the L87 6.2L? Not likely. I'm sure this engine will be available through GM Performance Parts though. It's essentially an LT4 with an LT5 blower on it. That's how they got 32hp more out of it over the standard LT4 in the ZL1.

View attachment 218
Just get a whipple and purchase the warranty through whipple

It is just too much money and not necessary. The fuel mileage is already bad enough as it is.

I love the idea of tossing a supercharger on - but realistically it doenst make sense. Worse mileage, more engine wear.

Other cars are faster and designed for that purpose rather than a off road machine.

Most Member Reactions

Back