ZR2 AUS New Purchase - Already Issues...

CHEVZR2JAKE

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im Jake, just recently picked up my RHD converted Silverado ZR2 in glacier blue.....what a gorgeous truck!

1711842158048.png

Early doors though a few little issues, hopefully all fixable/not serious.

1. Driving back home from dealer, about 100kms on the clock (trying to vary speeds and loads etc for run in) i noticed creaking/light knock from the rear end like my springs were made of timber... also felt a little loose in the rear. Only experienced when going over speed bumps or driveways.

2. Brakes seem to be made of cakes of soap as well, not brilliant pedal feel and hard to brake.

3. Truck also seems hesitant on light throttle (say <25% throttle position(TP)) like it hunts for a gear, but feels like at that TP its all confused until you lean in to it more and it resolves at higher TP. A little annoying but wonder if its a gearing thing or a fault with mine specifically.

Im aware of run in, and hopefully that resolves the pedal feel, but the creaking/knocking in the rear end is concerning.

Has anyone else had any of the above issues?

Cheers

Welcome to the ZR2Forum!

Is this your first pickup by chance? Could it be the loose in the rear is the solid rear axle? Many who have been driving cars or other independent rear suspension vehicles don't recognize the feeling of a solid axle, but about the creaking/light knock, I haven't heard that from mine, though I think all vehicles will creak or knock a little from time to time just because parts are moving and countering forces placed upon it by road and speed conditions.

My brakes are pretty good, the pedal feel is very spongy and will just keep dropping if I keep pushing, but she stops quick with very little effort, and my 21 RST was like that too, and I know it stops quick because of a few emergency braking situations I had been in during it's time, the newest one I haven't had to test that yet... yet.

As far as TP... the manufacturers have purposely done a lot of damage to the feel and response of the pedal, it is commonly referred to as "dead pedal", and the whole purpose is to make the truck use less fuel and get better fuel economy numbers since they are limiting the amount of fuel delivered to get the truck going. Many people will get an add on throttle re-mapper (like a Banks Pedal Monster or other, but I like the redundant and backup safety of the PM) to get back to an old school throttle response, it's either that or you mash the pedal a lot further than you might otherwise be used to.

I run the Mini Max diesel though and not the 6.2 gas, still, these things are pretty universal.

Its my first larger pick up yes. Ive had smaller single cab utilities before and they had IRS.
So you're probably right re: feel of solid axle vs IRS coming across as feeling "loose".

WRT creak/clunk in rear end, Ive been sniffing around some of the threads and videos on the net, apparently there is a known issue with the leaf springs (covered in technical service bulletin TSB# 21-NA-200. From what i can gather either:
1. U-bolts needing retorquing
2. Replace the spring isolators
Failing the above solving issue then:
3. Replace the leaf spring

I follow Banks on YT they have some awesome stuff, especially for the Duramax's. I'm still in two minds about the path for my ZR2, whether I bolt a blower on it, exhaust upgrade and tune along with some brake upgrades. In any case the PM would be useful as the pedal feel stock is atrocious. Unfortunately in Australia we dont have as many options locally, and not many performance shops have worked on them (other than Walkinshaw who RHD convert them(and the F150, and the RAM lol)).

Yep, others have posted about spring noise.

As for brakes, I would do a few hard stops at I mile intervals to bed those pads in. Unless the pedal is soft or there is an electronic issue, these have pretty good brakes.

Transmission may take a few hundy to "learn". It should be smooth as silk. The 10 speed is a great transmission, but if you are just running flat highway at 1200 rpms, it'll feel soft as it runs a high gear for fuel mileage. Try running in tow haul mode and it'll run slightly higher rpm and may keep it a gear lower. Otherwise run in manual and bang some gears with the paddle shifters...... that where the fun is at.

Change your oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles. It'll look very silvery and you don't want that break in oil in there any longer than needed. Doesn't take long to "break in", that's done quickly. If you want to take it easy for 500, no problem. It doesn't take 1000s of miles.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Im Jake, just recently picked up my RHD converted Silverado ZR2 in glacier blue.....what a gorgeous truck!

View attachment 11698

1. Driving back home from dealer, about 100kms on the clock (trying to vary speeds and loads etc for run in) i noticed creaking/light knock from the rear end like my springs were made of timber... also felt a little loose in the rear. Only experienced when going over speed bumps or driveways.

2. Brakes seem to be made of cakes of soap as well, not brilliant pedal feel and hard to brake.

3. Truck also seems hesitant on light throttle (say <25% throttle position(TP)) like it hunts for a gear, but feels like at that TP its all confused until you lean in to it more and it resolves at higher TP. A little annoying but wonder if its a gearing thing or a fault with mine specifically.

Im aware of run in, and hopefully that resolves the pedal feel, but the creaking/knocking in the rear end is concerning.

Cheers
My brakes where soft. There is videos of dealers that didnt calibrate. Set your parking brake mash pedal to floor and let it return. 3 times. It will make some gasey noises. Now try it. Might be in my head but my brakes def felt more real after doing this, plus I didn’t feel like I was wearing my leg out anymore.

Its my first larger pick up yes. Ive had smaller single cab utilities before and they had IRS.
So you're probably right re: feel of solid axle vs IRS coming across as feeling "loose".

WRT creak/clunk in rear end, Ive been sniffing around some of the threads and videos on the net, apparently there is a known issue with the leaf springs (covered in technical service bulletin TSB# 21-NA-200. From what i can gather either:
1. U-bolts needing retorquing
2. Replace the spring isolators
Failing the above solving issue then:
3. Replace the leaf spring

I follow Banks on YT they have some awesome stuff, especially for the Duramax's. I'm still in two minds about the path for my ZR2, whether I bolt a blower on it, exhaust upgrade and tune along with some brake upgrades. In any case the PM would be useful as the pedal feel stock is atrocious. Unfortunately in Australia we dont have as many options locally, and not many performance shops have worked on them (other than Walkinshaw who RHD convert them(and the F150, and the RAM lol)).
Lots of people use the Ultimate 9 throttle control programmer. They are a forum vendor and get great reviews. Maybe they ship to Australia.

My brakes where soft. There is videos of dealers that didnt calibrate. Set your parking brake mash pedal to floor and let it return. 3 times. It will make some gasey noises. Now try it. Might be in my head but my brakes def felt more real after doing this, plus I didn’t feel like I was wearing my leg out anymore.
I'm gonna try this on my HD. I thought they were a tad soft. They are firm if you get on them quicker, but slow steady push seems a little off. Dealer said they checked out fine. They certainly bite hard, but pedal doesn't feel quite right. Might just be because I'm switching between vehicles.

Sometimes you have to re-read @AXE's posts, I think he meant "keep a gear lower" and maybe "take it easy for 500, no problem. It doesn't take 1000s of miles. He does his best proofreading right after he hits "post reply"
:ROFLMAO:
LMFAO....... this is the worst phone I've ever had, never had worked rigjt. Makes me feel like an illiterate. I wasn't this bad with a 1986 Brother typewriter.

Hi All,

View attachment 11698

Cheers
welcome. use the search on your issues. nice rig!!

Thanks ken, l'll give this a try.

I'm gonna try this on my HD. I thought they were a tad soft. They are firm if you get on them quicker, but slow steady push seems a little off. Dealer said they checked out fine. They certainly bite hard, but pedal doesn't feel quite right. Might just be because I'm switching between vehicles.
Mine has a weird electromechanical "flutter" sound when braking. Happens the last 3rd of the pedal travel and i only notice when Ive almost stopped (10mph or less). Id love to grab audio of it, real strange. Doesn't seem to affect braking just an odd noise.

Yep, others have posted about spring noise.

As for brakes, I would do a few hard stops at I mile intervals to bed those pads in. Unless the pedal is soft or there is an electronic issue, these have pretty good brakes.

Transmission may take a few hundy to "learn". It should be smooth as silk. The 10 speed is a great transmission, but if you are just running flat highway at 1200 rpms, it'll feel soft as it runs a high gear for fuel mileage. Try running in tow haul mode and it'll run slightly higher rpm and may keep it a gear lower. Otherwise run in manual and bang some gears with the paddle shifters...... that where the fun is at.

Change your oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles. It'll look very silvery and you don't want that break in oil in there any longer than needed. Doesn't take long to "break in", that's done quickly. If you want to take it easy for 500, no problem. It doesn't take 1000s of miles.
My rig has around 2000 miles on it now, and when breaking I had around 500 miles of city driving (plenty of varied speed/engine load) no real hard acceleration etc. I decided to get the dealer to change my oil and filter at about 1100km (690 miles). The argued it wasnt needed, but i pushed to have it done anyway.

Sometimes you have to re-read @AXE's posts, I think he meant "keep a gear lower" and maybe "take it easy for 500, no problem. It doesn't take 1000s of miles. He does his best proofreading right after he hits "post reply"
:ROFLMAO:
I was told by the dealer that the paddle shifters only work in Low gear not in Drive....🤨 Dealers aren't known for being knowledgable here in Aus.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back