ZR2 HD Trailer Problems

rmerced

Reaction score
So, I've been having a couple of issues towing my camper. Both problems are pretty serious in my opinion. The 1st problem I have is that the trailer brakes keep disconnecting when I tow the camper. After a little research, I guess GM has had this problem in the past with campers that have solar. This problem was allegedly resolved in the previous generation but I seem to have the same symptoms. Obviously, the main concern is that I won't have trailer brakes when I really need them. Eventually the problem goes away as I continue to drive but it's definitely a problem nonetheless. The 2nd problem I'm having is that the tranny is shifting HARD under load. I have a 17k lbs camper and sometimes she shifts ok, other times she shifts hard. It shouldn't be happening. Has anyone experienced these problems?

The solar issue is from the house batteries having higher voltage then the truck and back feeding. I think the easiest fix is just to turn your solar controller off while traveling.

If that is the problem. Seems like you could just put a diode on the truck side. 30amp diode is like 10 bucks and would keep current from back feeding to the truck. But that would also prevent you from charging the truck battery with the trailers solar, if that's something you care about.

Lots of early 24 HDs had bad brake controllers. I have experienced the trailer connect/disconnect message a lot the first few times I towed. No generation source present on the trailer. Had it checked by dealer and their trailer simulator said it was fine. Still happens, but less frequently now.

I was at the dealer recently for an emissions code and they say they also found a park brake code and updated the software per TSB. I havent towed since, but think it may be related. You may want to at least have that software update if they can't find another issue.

I did jack my trailer up and tested all the functions. The brakes and lights all work just fine in spite of the disconnect message.

My tranny is smooth as butter, can't even tell when the 10 speed shifts. Definitely get that fixed.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Back