ZR2 with a bad engine

delaror

Reaction score
I am so glad I found this forum as I have loved my 2023 ZR2 from the day I first drove it. I have around 3,000 miles on it and unfortunately, my truck has been in service for Warranty repairs going on 3 weeks now and I am stuck driving a Nissan Frontier. So glad I didn't consider a Nissan. I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience as me.
Truck 3.jpgTruck 1.jpgTruck 2.jpg
My engine started making a noise that at first sounded exhaust related, but as I accelerated, the noise got quieter ruling out exhaust. It really sounded like a potential intake problem once I got it parked and inspected under the hood and all around the vehicle. I definitely knew it was engine related, as bad transmissions sound completely different.

I took it to the shop and flat out said there is something wrong with my engine, and they decided to take apart my transmission, replaced some parts in there, then after putting it back together, called and told me that the problem is in the engine and that they are requesting authorization to replace my engine. I have definitely been more patient than most with Chevrolet at this point, but I am getting angrier by the day that I spent so much on a truck that they are no closer to having repaired than the day I dropped it off.

What are your thoughts on my situation?

Sorry to hear that. There are plenty of posts on here regarding engine problems. You may want to search and read those threads.

I am so glad I found this forum as I have loved my 2023 ZR2 from the day I first drove it. I have around 3,000 miles on it and unfortunately, my truck has been in service for Warranty repairs going on 3 weeks now and I am stuck driving a Nissan Frontier. So glad I didn't consider a Nissan. I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience as me.
View attachment 4114View attachment 4116View attachment 4115
My engine started making a noise that at first sounded exhaust related, but as I accelerated, the noise got quieter ruling out exhaust. It really sounded like a potential intake problem once I got it parked and inspected under the hood and all around the vehicle. I definitely knew it was engine related, as bad transmissions sound completely different.

I took it to the shop and flat out said there is something wrong with my engine, and they decided to take apart my transmission, replaced some parts in there, then after putting it back together, called and told me that the problem is in the engine and that they are requesting authorization to replace my engine. I have definitely been more patient than most with Chevrolet at this point, but I am getting angrier by the day that I spent so much on a truck that they are no closer to having repaired than the day I dropped it off.

hang in and try not to get bummed out. the problem is equal opportunity.

Have the same problem 150kms off the lot transfer case went… then 2000kms later engine fail.. this truck is the biggest piece of sh#>? I’ve ever owned

Get a lawyer to write a letter and negotiate a new truck! They will take you more seriously if you have Counsel!

Have the same problem 150kms off the lot transfer case went… then 2000kms later engine fail.. this truck is the biggest piece of sh#>? I’ve ever owned
I know how you feel. I am more annoyed that they wasted so much time investigating the transmission. Their troubleshooting process is flawed, so now I worry that their ability to put the transmission together properly will be flawed as well.

Reactions: AXE
Get a lawyer to write a letter and negotiate a new truck! They will take you more seriously if you have Counsel!
I requested a replacement or buyback due to the low mileage and extent of repairs with the long repair time. I’m hoping for resolution without having to use a lawyer, but that will be my next step if they don’t provide a resolution that I’m happy with.

Hey so i was going to share my story at a later date and i will with much more detail because im year 2 and my 3rd ZR2 but my most recent one the 23 Silverado my engine seized on me at 4200 kms/2600 Miles and it took a month and half to get me back in my truck. This happend back in january so perfect timing for when they started to roll off the factory floor but i also pushed quite hard and stayed on them and called GM Head office and opened a case file so my local chevy dealer had oversight and it was after they got involved. it was within 2 weeks my engine was sent and truck was repaired.
But in all fairness to all our engine etc. woes I DROVE MY TRUCK LIKE A MANIAC on my farm and there was close to 4 feet of snow and minus 30 Celcius as im in Northern Alberta and I always tried to cool my truck down for an hour after so things didnt freeze and crack.
They told me there was no break in period and to literally GO NUTS but id like to think if the people who designed this engine and truck would say take it easy for a couple 1000 miles and thats what i found out. The Silverado ZR2 should be kept under 60 MPH for the first 1000 miles.
My new engine i went this route and kept it right around 60-70 Mph and very light off roading keeping it at 20-30 mph for the first 1000 miles as best as i could and now im at exactly where i was when my engine first siezed and i have driven another 1800 miles now HARD , and i mean F*&^ing HARD and this truck is doing what i expected it to and more so. and the worst part about this story is right after my truck broke down they started playing the new silverado zr2 commericial every 2 mins on every channel it seemed( IT WAS HELL but now so worth the extended wait)

lol. Yeah, I'm sure GM will just give him a new truck if he does this.
Clearly you've never been in a legal process and sought counsel. It's a negotiation process, not something to fear. I'm in them routinely and it is just second nature. The results speak for themselves.

You can do it however you want, but I know there is benefit to this regardless if it results in "GM giving him a new truck" as you implied I said.

Last edited:

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back