1500 miles and it’s BROKEN. NOT A GOOD SIGN

Haven't the Tahoe High Country, Yukon Denali, and Escalades been using primarily the 6.2L motor for years? There's piles of them running around here. They can't keep them on the lot. If this was a serious problem, I think it would have blown up on GM by now.......pun intended!

Haven't the Tahoe High Country, Yukon Denali, and Escalades been using primarily the 6.2L motor for years? There's piles of them running around here. They can't keep them on the lot. If this was a serious problem, I think it would have blown up on GM by now.......pun intended!
Yeah and there are probably plenty of threads on those forums about the exact same thing. I've seen 6.2 Tahoes and Escalades in our shop with engine issues too.

Reactions: AXE
Yeah and there are probably plenty of threads on those forums about the exact same thing. I've seen 6.2 Tahoes and Escalades in our shop with engine issues too.
I've run Chevys since 87 for my person vehicles and Rams for business for last 15 years........diesels, gassers, autos, sticks, etc. I've never had a major mechanical issue with any of them. Three biggest ticket items I've had was clutch throw out bearing, water pump, and air conditioning compressor. Several small part replacements and routine maintenance.

I've seen every brand under the sun with problems. Even the Japs bays are full around here.

Six in one, half dozen in the other. Drive more, worry less.

Last edited:
Thursday evening after coming home from work, I had received two Alert Text messages. One said service the engine and transmission in the next 7 days. And Friday morning before work my remote start didn’t work, but it did start manually and was running extremely rough, It felt like it could just shutdown at any moment. I received another Text message Alert that morning saying Service Transmission. I seriously could not believe this, only 1500 miles and I’m having issues like this already, this is not acceptable at all. I got it in to the dealership for service Friday afternoon, still waiting to find out what the deal is. What is the major malfunction with these vehicles being built ? They are charging an Extreme Amount for these vehicles and yet you are having problems this early. It scares the Heck out of me to be spending 60-70-80THOUSAND DOLLARS for a product that might very well wind up costing much more in the near future for repairs. NOT GOOD.
I feel the same way you do! My truck has been in the shop since the beginning of this month.

Lol, my dealership told me the same thing. All you have to do is You Tube it. My 2017 Silverado ate the lifters at less than 10,000 miles. My 2022 ZR2 is already starting to destroy my 6.2. I spoke to one of the old school mechanics at my local dealership who filled me in on the real story. Chevy is using these defective Chinese lifters in all their 5.3 & 6.2 motors. They are well aware that they are garbage but due to the supply chain issues they are using them anyway so they can sell these trucks. GM falsely claims that it is only 4% but any honest dealership (oxymoron right) will tell you it is more like 40%. Gm decided that just replacing 40% of the comebacks was cheaper than a recall for all of them. The problem is, all they do is replace the defective lifters with the same defective lifters if it is under warranty. What a joke. I know one guy that pushed GM to replace the entire 6.2 (lawyered up) and his ZR2 has been sitting on the dealers lot for 6 months now because there is a shortage of 6.2's because so many are failing.
Driving in L9 doesn't work either. Yes, it will keep it from deactivating but those same bad lifters will still fail eventually.
I am a lifelong Chevy guy with 2 Corvettes in the garage right now. Never had an issue with my C2's. Shame on GM. All Mary Barra cares about now is EV's.
That’s interesting to hear that there is a shortage of 6.2 motors. The regional service manager over the shop working on mine is telling me they should have my new motor in by April 6. They just ordered one today. I don’t believe they will get it. Either way, I don’t want the motor at this point. They tore apart my transmission before realizing the problem was the motor. I want a buyback. All I can do now is wait.

I feel the same way you do! My truck has been in the shop since the beginning of this month.
Got my 2021 6.2 back from the shop this morning. Was there 2 weeks and one day. Same thing as y’all. Starting running very rough and service esc, service parking brake and check engine light. 45,020 miles. Report says camshaft is scored causing damage to lifter.
IMG_3897.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg

Got my 2021 6.2 back from the shop this morning. Was there 2 weeks and one day. Same thing as y’all. Starting running very rough and service esc, service parking brake and check engine light. 45,020 miles. Report says camshaft is scored causing damage to lifter. View attachment 5970View attachment 5971
sucks bro. hang in there.

Approximately 200k Silverados are rolling around with the L87. You contend that 80k of those have or will have lifter failures?
Approximately 1.2m L87's from model years 2020-2023 are in Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, Sierras, and Silverados, based on publicly available sales reports. If you back the 200k that are in Silverado's out of that number, that would be 1m engines, so with 40% failure rate that would be 400k engines that have or will have lifter failures. A majority of which would still be covered under the factory powertrain warranty. Call me crazy, but I think that would be a much more expensive problem for GM, and its ownership base, if the occurrence rate is what you say. I would think NHTSA would force a recall if it was that high, no? I certainly hope I'm not tempting fate by casting doubt on that number, but I think it's hyperbole.

I've owned 3 new Silverado's with the 6.2L (L87); 2020 LT Trail Boss (38k miles), 2022 ZR2 (8.4k miles), 2022 ZR2 (1.5k miles). The first 2022 ZR2 I owned was purchased by another forum member, I'm curious to know what mileage it's at now and if it's experienced failure yet.

Are there any service tech forum members that can corroborate or refute the claim that this issue is closer to 40% than 4%? Further, as a GM service employee, are you confident of or skeptical about the reliability of the L87 engine?

I know there's pending legal action relating to this issue, some 42 defendants involved in taking class action against GM, but no verdict has been reached.

I also am aware that some recalls and service bulletins have been produced for specific production dates and models, which is some acknowledgment of a known issue related to production quality.

Just think it would be helpful to try and contextualize all the available information related to the 6.2L lifter/DFM issues to provide better perspective of the scope and risk, and to inform unfortunate owners who may experience it, or prospective buyers before they commit.
Very well researched and written comment.

Approximately 200k Silverados are rolling around with the L87. You contend that 80k of those have or will have lifter failures?
Approximately 1.2m L87's from model years 2020-2023 are in Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, Sierras, and Silverados, based on publicly available sales reports. If you back the 200k that are in Silverado's out of that number, that would be 1m engines, so with 40% failure rate that would be 400k engines that have or will have lifter failures. A majority of which would still be covered under the factory powertrain warranty. Call me crazy, but I think that would be a much more expensive problem for GM, and its ownership base, if the occurrence rate is what you say. I would think NHTSA would force a recall if it was that high, no? I certainly hope I'm not tempting fate by casting doubt on that number, but I think it's hyperbole.

I've owned 3 new Silverado's with the 6.2L (L87); 2020 LT Trail Boss (38k miles), 2022 ZR2 (8.4k miles), 2022 ZR2 (1.5k miles). The first 2022 ZR2 I owned was purchased by another forum member, I'm curious to know what mileage it's at now and if it's experienced failure yet.

Are there any service tech forum members that can corroborate or refute the claim that this issue is closer to 40% than 4%? Further, as a GM service employee, are you confident of or skeptical about the reliability of the L87 engine?

I know there's pending legal action relating to this issue, some 42 defendants involved in taking class action against GM, but no verdict has been reached.

I also am aware that some recalls and service bulletins have been produced for specific production dates and models, which is some acknowledgment of a known issue related to production quality.

Just think it would be helpful to try and contextualize all the available information related to the 6.2L lifter/DFM issues to provide better perspective of the scope and risk, and to inform unfortunate owners who may experience it, or prospective buyers before they commit.
hello,

I have a 2022 Silverado ZR2 with 15500 miles, the day before yesterday it gives out on me, I dropped it off at the dealer had, to make an appt for them to look at it, the appt was yesterday and they didn't touch it at all, im still waiting for a diagnostic. i was driving on the street and it started making a squeaky noise, I stop trying to see what it was but in idle it wasn't making that noise at all , I stop at a local tire shop/mechanic to get my tires look into maybe a bushing or something , got the front tire removed nothing unusual there , got the other tires tightened up, drove for a block and then the truck turn off on its own while driving, shifter went straight to neutral , i press the start button but nothing once i stop completely, it went straight into park, truck shut off it says on the dash to press the start button but it didn't turn on, it shut off all the light on the dash/radio, it went dark. a couple seconds later the dash /radio came back on. But it wouldn't start. the dealer was giving me a hard time with there routing bs , if is modified the warranty wouldn't cover anything at all.

Thursday evening after coming home from work, I had received two Alert Text messages. One said service the engine and transmission in the next 7 days. And Friday morning before work my remote start didn’t work, but it did start manually and was running extremely rough, It felt like it could just shutdown at any moment. I received another Text message Alert that morning saying Service Transmission. I seriously could not believe this, only 1500 miles and I’m having issues like this already, this is not acceptable at all. I got it in to the dealership for service Friday afternoon, still waiting to find out what the deal is. What is the major malfunction with these vehicles being built ? They are charging an Extreme Amount for these vehicles and yet you are having problems this early. It scares the Heck out of me to be spending 60-70-80THOUSAND DOLLARS for a product that might very well wind up costing much more in the near future for repairs. NOT GOOD.
Ok so seriously disappointing, I ordered my ZR2 and waited 11 months for it. Paid cash except for 8k $ to keep my credit active with auto pay. Never blown this much coin on a vehicle. That being said so far very happy with it at 10 k miles. Before I even got to 3k miles I got 4 different letters from law groups wanting me to join the lawsuit regarding this. My question is who’s gonna be the first machinist to step up and mass produce an aftermarket badass lifter alternative that makes these bulletproof

Ok so seriously disappointing, I ordered my ZR2 and waited 11 months for it. Paid cash except for 8k $ to keep my credit active with auto pay. Never blown this much coin on a vehicle. That being said so far very happy with it at 10 k miles. Before I even got to 3k miles I got 4 different letters from law groups wanting me to join the lawsuit regarding this. My question is who’s gonna be the first machinist to step up and mass produce an aftermarket badass lifter alternative that makes these bulletproof
It requires changing the cam, lifters, valley cover that does away with the solenoids. Sometimes pushrods need to be changed as well. Expensive to do correctly.

maybe we should ask Mary Barra.

So I have a new 2023 ZR2 with the 6.2 ltr. At low rpm it shakes. I believe it has something to do with AFM cylinder deactivation. If I drive in manual l9 it has no vibration or if I drive with tow haul mode again no vibration..
After tons of research this is common issue in which most just ignore..! Or don't care.. simply!
Well this is annoying as it gets!
GM is broken with zero resolve!
This the second defective vehicle in one year for me. The first this year was the 3.0 diesel version..
It had an exhaust leak into the cab which would made me ill. GM said they wouldn't fix and was normal.
Wow. After spending many thousands of dollars what did I just get myself into.
I hope not all are experiencing such bad results.

So I have a new 2023 ZR2 with the 6.2 ltr. At low rpm it shakes. I believe it has something to do with AFM cylinder deactivation. If I drive in manual l9 it has no vibration or if I drive with tow haul mode again no vibration..
After tons of research this is common issue in which most just ignore..! Or don't care.. simply!
This the second defective vehicle in one year for me. The first this year was the 3.0 diesel version..
It had an exhaust leak into the cab which would made me ill. GM said they wouldn't fix and was normal.
that sucks...its hit or miss with no rhyme or reason. owners here have found better luck with a good dealer to ease the pain.

That's really unfortunate! Definitely some sketchy stuff with these motors. One thing you might have them check is the crank bearing. There have been several cases of crank failures. I was speaking with my service advisor and service manager yesterday and manager said the 6.2s have been fairly reliable overall. He said there was a batch of 20,000 crank bearings that could be bad. He said that would be more of a concern than the lifters.

That being said, he has a Camaro with a modified 6.2L motor that he runs on the track pretty hard. He said it has been running great and no indication of issues with hard use.

He also said the issue they are starting to see with the 3.0 Duramax as the motors get higher miles is with motors requiring tear down to replace parts that aren't being warrantied. I think it was primarily oil pump belts or chains(?) on back of motor. Have to pull transmission and pan, and takes close to 40 hours. Costs several thousand dollars.

Last edited:
That's really unfortunate! Definitely some sketchy stuff with these motors. One thing you might have them check is the crank bearing. There have been several cases of crank failures. I was speaking with my service advisor and service manager yesterday and manager said the 6.2s have been fairly reliable overall. He said there was a batch of 20,000 crank bearings that could be bad. He said that would be more of a concern than the lifters.

That being said, he has a Camaro with a modified 6.2L motor that he runs on the track pretty hard. He said it has been running great and no indication of issues with hard use.

He also said the issue they are starting to see with the 3.0 Duramax as the motors get higher miles is with motors requiring tear down to replace parts that aren't being warrantied. I think it was primarily oil pump belts or chains(?) on back of motor. Have to pull transmission and pan, and takes close to 40 hours. Costs several thousand dollars.
The 3.0 oil pump belt is a known maintenance item - it’s got a published 150k lifespan.

The 3.0 oil pump belt is a known maintenance item - it’s got a published 150k lifespan.

That's why I thought it was interesting that he said they were replacing them before 100k. I am guessing it's mostly the earliest of trucks that were sold with that kind of mileage. He said it's only about $7k for the repair, so if you can save $1500 year on fuel it pencils out.

Honestly this is a lot of the reason I went to a 6.6 gas. Crank bearings, torque converters, lifters, ect. Just seems like so many common problems with them. I just didn't really trust it as a long term vehicle. Ford and Dodge have their fair share of common problems too.

The HDs are excempt from a lot of the emissions stuff. No DFM, no auto stop/start. I think also since they aren't as concerned with weight and epa ratings. They are just built better. Brakes on my last HD were still good at 175k miles. The 1500s don't seem to last half that on a set. No screw on transmission filter. No transmission dip stick. I don't know if it's trying to meet emissions or if it's just cost cutting. But they seem lacking in a lot of ways.

"We're rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell"......... the words of the late great Merle Haggard in the song "Are The Good Times Really Over For Good".

Most Member Reactions

Back