2022 ZR2 wouldn’t start waited 15 min and then it did

JohnHozy

Reaction score
Hello,
this is my first real issue with this truck other than the hood scoop paint.
After a two hour drive I pulled in my driveway to unload the truck. After i got everything out I went to move the truck touts parking spot and it would not start. The ignition would turn it would fire for a moment then stall. I tried 4-5 times but would not start.
i hooked up the error code reader and got some DTC codes.
C0616 - DTC definition not found refer to vehicle service manual
P102B Engine Manufacturer Control

i waited 15 min tried again and it started, and I put where I park it.

i did not reset and check engine light.

truck has 9650 mi and it’s going into dealer for service this week.
is this the dreaded lifter failure?
Should I not drive it to the dealer? It’s about 60 miles away.

Please share any input or advice.
thanks
jh

That's not what happens when a lifter goes or is going. With the computers in them who knows. If it was a typical vehicle, I'd almost say it sounds like a bad fuel pump. But really it could be anything.

Hello,
this is my first real issue with this truck other than the hood scoop paint.
After a two hour drive I pulled in my driveway to unload the truck. After i got everything out I went to move the truck touts parking spot and it would not start. The ignition would turn it would fire for a moment then stall. I tried 4-5 times but would not start.
i hooked up the error code reader and got some DTC codes.
C0616 - DTC definition not found refer to vehicle service manual
P102B Engine Manufacturer Control

i waited 15 min tried again and it started, and I put where I park it.

i did not reset and check engine light.

truck has 9650 mi and it’s going into dealer for service this week.
is this the dreaded lifter failure?
Should I not drive it to the dealer? It’s about 60 miles away.

Please share any input or advice.
thanks
jh
DTC C0616
Park Brake Control Circuit Performance

DTC P102B
Fuel Pump Motor Phase U-V-W Circuits High

99% chance it’s a failing fuel pump driver module. Once it goes, the truck is dead in the water. Part is currently backorder no ETA.

Take it to the dealer immediately and get a case open so you can get the part on order. Be advised, if it does go out the truck will shut off while driving and will not restart. Plan accordingly in the right lane. But I would recommend you have it towed.

Last edited:
DTC C0616

DTC P102B

99% chance it’s a failing fuel pump driver module. Once it goes, the truck is dead in the water. Part is currently backorder no ETA.

Take it to the dealer immediately and get a case open so you can get the part on order. Be advised, if it does go out the truck will shut off while driving and will not restart. Plan accordingly in the right lane.
thank you so much wutang61...
from your advice there is a chance that the fuel pump could fail during driving and the whole truck shut down? Sorry im not much of a grease monkey...

Bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump module. I was close lol. The issue you described sounded like a fuel pump pressure problem. Makes sense it would be the module that controls it.

thank you so much wutang61...
from your advice there is a chance that the fuel pump could fail during driving and the whole truck shut down? Sorry im not much of a grease monkey...
Correct. If it goes while you are driving the engine will shut off. You will retain power steering because it’s EPS (electric) and the brakes will work to stop once. Once you open the door, the truck will go into park and will not come out of park. They will have to drag the truck onto a flat bed or use dollies.

Reactions: AXE
Bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump module. I was close lol. The issue you described sounded like a fuel pump pressure problem. Makes sense it would be the module that controls it.
IMG_1399.jpeg

Well versed in this shit show for sure lol

DTC C0616

DTC P102B

Take it to the dealer immediately and get a case open so you can get the part on order. Be advised, if it does go out the truck will shut off while driving and will not restart. Plan accordingly in the right lane. But I would recommend you have it towed.
i finally found a module out of a 600mile wreck in Ohio. cant believe we are still talking about national back order for any parts.

View attachment 6871
Well versed in this shit show for sure lol
Lol, I'm just old and have had fuel pumps go out on fuel injected engines. When he said it restarted after it sat for 15 mins or so. That sounded exactly like a bad pump/ low pressure. What's fun is when you have one that won't idle unless you feather the throttle, but if you let it die it won't restart for 20 mins. Had that happen once on a trail miles from camp. Was a fun trip back.

i finally found a module out of a 600mile wreck in Ohio. cant believe we are still talking about national back order for any parts.
Is the part number 13540028? If so they got them on ebay. If the dealers says weeks or month. He might be worth just buying one himself. Looks like 2 screws and one plug.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the part number 13540028? If so they got them on ebay. If the dealers says weeks or month. He might be worth just buying one himself. Looks like 2 screws and one plug.
i think that # superceeds 13544060

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The one i looked up is probably for non refreshed trucks. Ebay does have a single listing for the part number you have though.
Screenshot_20230905_112108_Chrome.jpg

The one i looked up is probably for non refreshed trucks. Ebay does have a single listing for the part number you have though.
View attachment 6879
i tried looking for a new part. came across few diff #'s that have since been replaced. i found one at canadian gm dealer who said they cant sell to USA. awesome!!!

Update. Started this morning and went to drive around block to see how it ran. Stalled and was dead after 3 min. Had it towed to dealer. We will see what they come back with. I shared what i learned in the forum in the past 12 hrs.
Thanks for your help.
Ill get the part number if the FPCM is the issue.
Its a great idea to carry one if its such a weak link in the truck’s ability to stay on the road.
Not what you expect out of a $75k truck with 9600 miles.

So glad when mine went out it wasn't on backorder. It was bad enough that it went out 4 hours from home on a trip. I just wish GM would come out with a way to put the truck in neutral when the engine dies. The owners manual says to use dollies to tow the truck. The wrecker driver that picked up my truck used wood block skies under the rear wheels to pull it up on the roll back. The owners manual also covers GM's butt with a statement if damage is caused by improper towing, it won't cover the repairs.

This flatbed driver used plastic “skates” not dollies. They seemed to work just fine. He told me not many flat bed tow teucks carry the dollies.

Update. Started this morning and went to drive around block to see how it ran. Stalled and was dead after 3 min. Had it towed to dealer. We will see what they come back with. I shared what i learned in the forum in the past 12 hrs.
Thanks for your help.
Ill get the part number if the FPCM is the issue.
Its a great idea to carry one if its such a weak link in the truck’s ability to stay on the road.
Not what you expect out of a $75k truck with 9600 miles.

I know how you feel, but honestly any modern vehicle is the same way. Dozens of chips and modules keep them running. Now days the computers monitors everything. A parking brake censor can go out and disable the vehicle, lol.

My son has an 01 S10 and his ABS light came on and his abs system was disabled. I traced it back to a bad solder joint on a relay in the abs module. Took 5 mins with a soldering iron to fix. Took two days to figure out the problem. 🤦‍♂️ Replacing the module would have been a few hundred bucks. Heck on a brand new vehicle the ECU might disable the vehicle because of a fault like that.

Most Member Reactions

Back