2024 Chevy Silverado HD ZR2 Spotted Testing

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
2024-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD-ZR2-Prototype-Spy-Shots-May-2022-Exterior-002-720x480.jpeg

Back in March, GM Authority sources revealed the automaker was actively working on a new Chevy Silverado HD ZR2 model that would bestow the heavy-duty pickup with the off-road capability of the light-duty Silverado ZR2. Now GM Authority spies have captured a prototype for the upcoming 2024 Chevy Silverado HD ZR2 testing on public roads in Michigan, giving us a rough idea of what to expect from this future off-roader.

Our spies had to use a long lens to photograph this truck from a distance, but the photos still provide us with a glimpse of the vehicle’s front fasciae and wheel and tire combination. Let’s start with the front end, which appears to be sporting a grille treatment unlike anything seen on the Silverado HD previously. This grille is partially concealed by camouflage, but appears to feature a similar design to the light-duty Silverado ZR2, along with similar-looking vertically-oriented fog lights. We also hear this prototype had a beefy front underbody skid plate that was different than the one seen on the Silverado’s Trail Boss trim, appearing similar to the skid plate seen on GMC Sierra AT4X prototypes.

While the 2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2 is only offered with GM’s 6.2L L87 V8 gasoline engine, the Silverado HD ZR2 is expected to offer both the atmospheric 6.6L V8 L8T gasoline engine and the 6.6L V8 L5P turbodiesel Duramax. This particular prototype had a large green sticker marked “diesel” over its fuel door, indicating the presence of the Duramax engine. As GM Authority was the first to report, GM is also cooking up some fresh powertrain updates for its refreshed HD pickups. This will include the introduction of the GM 10-speed automatic transmission as a replacement for the L8T’s six-speed, along with a revised version of the L5P Duramax that will produce nearly 1,100 pound-feet of torque and more than 500 horsepower.

This prototype also had a noteworthy wheel and tire combination with camo-wrapped off-road rims wrapped in knobby Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires. These are the same tires used on the 2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2 and will likely appear on the production Silverado HD ZR2, as well. Other key equipment that will set the Silverado HD ZR2 apart from lesser trims include new dampers (potentially the MutliMatic DSSV dampers used on the Silverado ZR2 and Colorado ZR2) 4, along with an off-road front bumper with removable end caps.

Source

I'm excited to learn more about this. A turn key diesel Silverado HD with good factory off-road suspension will be a hit!

Not too much information released yet about the ZR2 HD, but I'm excited to hear what the specs are!

I thought about waiting for the HD to come out but decided to jump on the 1500. If used prices are still astronomical like they are now, I may trade up. If it came with 35" diggers I would upgrade. Not sure if it needs a lift to fit 35". Just sayin. I will say no to the dirtymax for sure. The 6.6L gas with 10 sp on the other hand, ohhh yeah.

Biggest problem with an HD is their weight. I had a 2500 for years. Doesn't matter what tires I put on it. They are just to heavy for soft ground. I got mine stuck one time just going to my barn after some rain lol. They do tow good though.

Curious to see what the details end up being on the ZR2 2500. Wonder what the suspension, payload and tow ratings end as. Seems like it would be tough to give it a offroad soft ride and still keep 2500 numbers. I think if they do the suspension right and offer it with the 6.6 gas, it could be pretty cool.

Most Member Reactions

Back