2024 ZR2 3.0 Diesel EPA mileage

Seems pretty conservative for a diesel. There's videos and reviews on YouTube getting much better mileage than that shows.

Seems pretty conservative for a diesel. There's videos and reviews on YouTube getting much better mileage than that shows.
Yeah, agreed, seems like real world reviews appear to be better on various LZO equipped Chevys, even when factoring in ZR2 lift/overall dynamics may impact MPG slightly.

Factoring in general diesel prices and DEF, (putting aside potential lifter issues on the 6.2 vs potential emission system issues on the 3.0) I was really hoping to see it do better, I’ll be anxious to see real world over time.

Reactions: AXE
The ZR2 has no airdam for front plus those big front cut outs exposing the tires and it's lifted. So I think the aero is probably bad, which makes milage bad

It's the difference in aero and tires. If you compare the MPG numbers of different trims with the same power train. The Zr2 is always rated a little lower than the others. Basically if you want good fuel economy get a RST or a High Country. Trail boss gets less than them and Zr2 gets less than all of them. It's no different than buying a truck then a putting a lift, off-road bumper and bigger more aggressive tires on it. Course the MPG goes down. They are just doing that at the factory.

Personally, I'd go by the EPA numbers. They are pretty spot on, on my 6.2 ZR2. I wouldn't really trust what people say online. I have no idea why, But lots of people seem to embellish their numbers. I'm sure all the people posting these MPGs way over are just hypermiling it at the time. If you could check their actual lifetime MPG. It's probably really close to the EPA numbers. If anything, I normally consider the EPA number to be a little optimistic, lol. I guess if you just ride around in a completely empty truck alone all the time. Every truck I've ever owned has always averaged at or below the listed EPA number. Often much below their number.

It's the difference in aero and tires. If you compare the MPG numbers of different trims with the same power train. The Zr2 is always rated a little lower than the others. Basically if you want good fuel economy get a RST or a High Country. Trail boss gets less than them and Zr2 gets less than all of them. It's no different than buying a truck then a putting a lift, off-road bumper and bigger more aggressive tires on it. Course the MPG goes down. They are just doing that at the factory.

Personally, I'd go by the EPA numbers. They are pretty spot on, on my 6.2 ZR2. I wouldn't really trust what people say online. I have no idea why, But lots of people seem to embellish their numbers. I'm sure all the people posting these MPGs way over are just hypermiling it at the time. If you could check their actual lifetime MPG. It's probably really close to the EPA numbers. If anything, I normally consider the EPA number to be a little optimistic, lol. I guess if you just ride around in a completely empty truck alone all the time. Every truck I've ever owned has always averaged at or below the listed EPA number. Often much below their number.
Hard for me to disagree with you but then I’d feel like I was agreeing with the EPA…😅😅😅

Joking aside, I agree with you. I can see the lift and aero for sure, personally I forget about the “tire” as I don’t really consider them “oversized” in todays market but it makes sense and see your point. End of the day, didn’t buy it for amazing mileage, maybe I was just hoping the LZ0 would do better in this configuration. Good to have options either way.

Last edited:
20 city
22 highway
21 combined

Guess I was hoping it would at least match the trail boss #s (21 city,23 highway, 22 combined)
The ZR2 is heavy bastard. 700+ lbs more than a TB with the Bison clocking in even higher. These trucks run about 5,700 empty.

Add fluids and a driver and they are well over 6,000 lbs with the Aero of a brick. (WTF is a kilometer?) Considering the Combined rating on the 6.2 is dead nuts with real world its what I would expect.

The ZR2 has no airdam for front plus those big front cut outs exposing the tires and it's lifted. So I think the aero is probably bad, which makes milage bad
My neighbor had one of the first 3.0 diesel 1500s a couple years back with 6 inch lift and 35s on 12 inch wide track rims. He got better mileage than that and it may have been tuned. Said he could light up the tires.

Who buys a truck for the gas mileage???
It's fuel mileage on a diesel.....LOL I'll bet 80% of the people buying these small diesels do so for fuel economy.

My buddy has the Ford F150 equivalent and he says it's the best commuter rig he's owned for running back and forth to work. Getting mid 20s running freeway and city streets and he's on 285 BFGs. Then takes care of business towing his sxs and hunting gear.

Who buys a truck for the gas mileage???
Literally anyone who gets the 3.0 instead of the 6.2, lol. The 3.0 isn't bad. But it feels very sluggish. The only real reason to pick it over the 6.2 is the better MPG. The 6.2 matches it in torque, has over 100 more hp, and is more responsive. People pick the 3.0 hoping for that mid 20s mpg.

Our tank is 91L which equates to 24 US gallons.

That would mean a potential 24 mile driving difference (range) between a Trail Boss and a ZR2 -assuming you drive it like a priest and have no fun in your $70k - $90k truck.

That is S.F.A in real world terms. Tyre pressure or diesel quality will make more difference than that.

I love my 6.2L ZR2, however I originally wanted a Ram Rebel with its 3.0L eco Diesel. When Ram went Woke and canceled it in 2022 I bought a 2023 ZR2 instead. Now had I know that GM was gonna drop this engine into their 2024 ZR2/Bison I would have waited. I will be moving to a 3.0L ZR2 Bison hopefully by FY 2025. But my whole reason for Diesel is everything that is important runs on Diesel in an emergency. Add to that the big push to get auto makers to ditch fossil fuel cars and go EV. It may sound cool for a commuter car but real world and Ford's CEO just admitted when he tried to road trip in one of his F-150 Lighting trucks how long it took to charge as not being practical. This is the last year for Jeep owners to get a 3.0L in a Gladiator. This now leave GM as the last maker of 3.0L Diesel in a 1/2 ton truck. I do get a good laugh when I run into a Ram TRX owner and he tells me its his bug out car. Unless he's got an aircraft rubber fuel bladder in the back bed those TRX get worse mileage even unloaded. Now once I put a truck vault, cargo glide, Smart Cap, Four 5.3 Gal Jerry cans, water bricks, tent, food, guns & gear add a front winch to the bison. I could be right back where I started at with my current 6.2L ZR2 MPG, but in an emergency it might be easier to get Diesel then 91 octane. 2024 election IMO will be a big indication of which way the Auto industry goes. We all are either driving what we want or are all gonna be forced to buy Mr Garrison IT Bike on South Park.

My biggest problem with the 3.0 or any new diesel really. Is the emissions systems. It's why I didn't replace my Duramax with a new one. It was 10k to tune and delete a 22 Duramax. Course the warranty goes out the window also. With a 3.0 you don't even have the option. All the new diesels have lots of emission related issues. Especially if you idle or short trip them a lot.

FWIW Dodge dropped their 3.0 because of problems from my understanding. Again because of emissions. They had to do an update on them to get them to compliance. When they did that performance suffered and they just weren't selling. The preupdate ones were actually considered pretty good. If you do a search on youtube there is a few videos on it. Even TFL talks about it.

My biggest problem with the 3.0 or any new diesel really. Is the emissions systems. It's why I didn't replace my Duramax with a new one. It was 10k to tune and delete a 22 Duramax. Course the warranty goes out the window also. With a 3.0 you don't even have the option. All the new diesels have lots of emission related issues. Especially if you idle or short trip them a lot.

FWIW Dodge dropped their 3.0 because of problems from my understanding. Again because of emissions. They had to do an update on them to get them to compliance. When they did that performance suffered and they just weren't selling. The preupdate ones were actually considered pretty good. If you do a search on youtube there is a few videos on it. Even TFL talks about it.
I agree having been a diesel guy since ‘05 until the zr2. Emissions on the diesel, lifters in the 6.2…all government induced BS. Good to know their vehicles are exempt from emissions systems though, because they aren’t reliable enough.

I agree having been a diesel guy since ‘05 until the zr2. Emissions on the diesel, lifters in the 6.2…all government induced BS. Good to know their vehicles are exempt from emissions systems though, because they aren’t reliable enough.
Exactly, They force all this crap on us. Knowing the systems cause problems, everything government is exempt from any emissions. I mean I guess we should be happy since we buy all their vehicles also, lol. Would be nice though if the regulations didn't out pace the technology. They are doing the same thing with EVs. Even the CEOs of companies are saying it's not ready to be the only choice and still won't be in 10 years.

I don't think you need to tune diesels and worry about power output any more. They are laying down incredible stock HP/torque numbers.

I don't think there are as many emissions issues any more either. DEF and particulate filter technology has been around for decades and adapted from the power industry. It's not particularly complicated, but easy to poorly execute. It certainly adds to price of trucks and maintenance. It ain't going anywhere, so just have to deal with it.

GM extended warranties for many previous vehicles that were prone to issues. The two emission issues I had were resolved under warranty, but one of them tool two days to diagnose a faulty DEF temp sensor that put my truck into limp mode .

Everything I have read, and seen, people are LOVING their 3.0L Babymax engines. I have yet to see a "bad" review of this motor (but I am confident that someone will find one and post it 😂 ) I am still on the fence whether to get another gasser or the 3.0 babymax. As much as I like the 2500HD Duramax, I think everyone has convinced me it's way more than what I need. I may look at the 2024 High Country Midnight Edition next along with the 2024 ZR2...still haven't made a decision as to what vehicle may be best moving forward. Wasn't planning to do anything until around Christmas anyway so plenty of time to change my mind 27 times.

A friend of mine just purchased a 2023 AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax and he is getting consistent 30mpg highway. My father in-law has a 2wd 1500 Chevy with the 3.0 Duramax and gets consistent 30+. If i did not need a 3/4 Ton i would definitely get the 1500 ZR2 with the 3.0 Duramax. Looking forward to the arrival of my 2024 ZR2HD with the Duramax

Most Member Reactions

Back