FUEL MILEAGE

I've got about 9500 miles on mine. About 50% highway and 50% city and dirt roads. My average is 12 mpg. I've seen sustained mileage of 22 mpg in flatter roads with no wind. I've seen 10-11 mpg in town in traffic. It's fairly easy to get 18 mpg on the highway at 70- 75 mph. Wind, hills, and start/stop traffic will kill the mileage. Also, if you do a lot of short trips say 10 miles or less, the average will always be low. Seems like the computer doesn't like to get the average up until about 15-20 miles.
Correct. Drive my new 23 ZR2 home from dealership and got 21mpg. Now just back and forth to the store and Lowe’s which is less than 4 miles away….12mpg. I need to take a trip. 😂

Correct. Drive my new 23 ZR2 home from dealership and got 21mpg. Now just back and forth to the store and Lowe’s which is less than 4 miles away….12mpg. I need to take a trip. 😂
Funny you should say that cause my average was 11.5 miles. Then I did a 3000 mile round trip flying down the highway. When I got back overall average was 12 mpg at the end of that trip. I think I averaged 16.7 mpg on that trip.

I only have 1400 miles on my ZR2 at this point. My commute is 54 miles daily, about a 70/30 mix of highway/city. So far averaging about 16.5 overall. I have noticed that as the speed climbs above 65-66 mph, the mileage starts to dip. So I guess if you want to haul ass = more gas.

My previous 3 trucks were the 3.0 Duramax and they would average 24.5 for the same commute.

I've noticed last year on my 2022 ZR2 and this year on my 2023 ZR2 traveling to Florida for vacation that my fuel mileage was slightly better over 80mph compared to just below. Its a 1350 mile one way trip that I drive straight thru, using 93 fuel.
Last year running 75-80mph got 15mpg and 85-90mph got 15.5mpg. This year 14.5mpg below 80 and 15mpg running 80-85. I attribute some of the lower mileage this year do to the truck having fewer miles before leaving home. Overall mileage was better on the return trip.
I know many will say I'm crazy and it's impossible but this is my real world result putting 3000-3500 miles on in two weeks. I feel some of the difference is in the truck holding 10th gear more running a little higher constant RPM.

I've noticed last year on my 2022 ZR2 and this year on my 2023 ZR2 traveling to Florida for vacation that my fuel mileage was slightly better over 80mph compared to just below. Its a 1350 mile one way trip that I drive straight thru, using 93 fuel.
Last year running 75-80mph got 15mpg and 85-90mph got 15.5mpg. This year 14.5mpg below 80 and 15mpg running 80-85. I attribute some of the lower mileage this year do to the truck having fewer miles before leaving home. Overall mileage was better on the return trip.
I know many will say I'm crazy and it's impossible but this is my real world result putting 3000-3500 miles on in two weeks. I feel some of the difference is in the truck holding 10th gear more running a little higher constant RPM.
Theoretically you could be creating your own draft. The aero on vehicle will be different on each vehicle. If you watch vehicle testing in wind tunnels, it's easy to see the difference.

Theoretically you could be creating your own draft. The aero on vehicle will be different on each vehicle. If you watch vehicle testing in wind tunnels, it's easy to see the difference.
draft, aero, wind tunnels.....please explain this @AXE....

Attachments

• 20240209_073902.jpg
    20240209_073902.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 20
Drove my new Bison back from Idaho 600 miles and it averaged 16.8 with mostly 70-80 MPH.

Driven it in sport mode another 280 miles since mostly 35 mile trips around 60 MPH and it's doing 19.1. I filled it tonight to verify that. granted I was driving like a grandpa to see how good I could do but I'm still pretty impressed.

I’ve only got 1300 miles on my 2024 so far and it’s proving out exactly the way my 2018 Colorado ZR2 did. GM overgears their trucks to max their MPG rating on the EPA loop, but that rarely translates in the real world. To get the best MPG, you need to be in the sweet spot on the torque curve. If you’re below it, even nearly imperceptible grade changes will require more fuel fed into the engine to maintain speed.

I really wish they’d spec’d a 3:55 gear ratio in these. That would allow them to get better gas mileage in the 65-75 MPH range, rather than having to risk attracting the road pirates just to get peak efficiency.

If that's the case, just drop it into 9th and see how it does. I expect your mpg will drop.

Drove my new Bison back from Idaho 600 miles and it averaged 16.8 with mostly 70-80 MPH.

Driven it in sport mode another 280 miles since mostly 35 mile trips around 60 MPH and it's doing 19.1. I filled it tonight to verify that. granted I was driving like a grandpa to see how good I could do but I'm still pretty impressed.
You should be running that thing above 4500 rpms regularly by now to seat the rings and wear in the lifters and the crank bearing. If your getting over 14 mpg, you're eventually gonna smoke a motor. These things like to run loose and burn a quart of oil every 2k.

I’ve only got 1300 miles on my 2024 so far and it’s proving out exactly the way my 2018 Colorado ZR2 did. GM overgears their trucks to max their MPG rating on the EPA loop, but that rarely translates in the real world. To get the best MPG, you need to be in the sweet spot on the torque curve. If you’re below it, even nearly imperceptible grade changes will require more fuel fed into the engine to maintain speed.

I really wish they’d spec’d a 3:55 gear ratio in these. That would allow them to get better gas mileage in the 65-75 MPH range, rather than having to risk attracting the road pirates just to get peak efficiency.
I sort of like running 75 mph in L8..... try it and report back.

@AXE you insult me lol.....wind or hills? its my lead foot. im a terror around town. i love my ZR2 gasser, most of the time.
I got into the mid eights 8s before, but usually see a little better even when I'm throttling up and using the paddle shifters.

Most Member Reactions

Back