2500 HD ZR2 Small Oil Filter

AXE

Reaction score
I was crawling around underneath my rig today and noticed the 2500 HD ZR2 uses the same AC Delco PF63 filter as the 1500 ZR2. That seems very small for a big motor with 2.5 gallons of dirty diesel oil that might run extended intervals for guys that use these for work and cover a lot of miles like hotshots.

I will do 5K intervals, but may switch to an extended performance synthetic or longer filter. I've cut these PF 63 filters apart and they have a lot of media, but it doesn't seem like enough. Also I think the wall of the filter can is a little thin.

Attachments

• 20231030_164422.jpg
    20231030_164422.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 20230319_111840.jpg
    20230319_111840.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230319_112443.jpg
    20230319_112443.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That is pretty interesting, seems like a lot of volume for the same filter.

Reactions: AXE
I was crawling around underneath my rig today and noticed the 2500 HD ZR2 uses the same AC Delco PF63 filter as the 1500 ZR2. That seems very small for a big motor with 2.5 gallons of dirty diesel oil that might run extended intervals for guys that use these for work and cover a lot of miles like hotshots.

I will do 5K intervals, but may switch to an extended performance synthetic or longer filter. I've cut these PF 63 filters apart and they have a lot of media, but it doesn't seem like enough. Also I think the wall of the filter can is a little thin.
I think that filter O ring is the same size as the larger filter we used years ago. I would take it to a parts store and if the diameter of the o ring and the thread hole is the same, you can probably run the older style large filter. The only difference is relief spring pressure might be different? Worth a try. All these newer cars have small filters. I'll use this Fram number;

The short fat one was a PH 30 & I think the longer large one was a PH 11. All Chevies used to use these filters and the o ring looks the same to me.

My 21 L5P takes PF26 filter not the PF63 , That's interesting I know the 6.6 gas engine takes the PF63 if they changed it yes that's a much smaller filter than had been used on the previous years

I'm curious as to what filter your 3.0 Duramax uses?
PF66 - I saw PPE makes a larger one with improved filtering for the 3.0 (as im sure others do as well) - given the HD numbers on the road, I bet there are numerous options as well.

Yeah, I might do some research. It's really probably only an issue for extended intervals.

I believe Wix makes a compatible synthetic media filter that is a little larger and is supposed to be for longer intervals. It's their XP.

I have used Mobil 1 303A on my Duramaxes. They are pretty big and have a lot of media and seem well constructed. I like Baldwin and Bosch too. I suppose they are all suitable. I guess once you get used to something you don't like to change.

Yeah, I might do some research. It's really probably only an issue for extended intervals.

I believe Wix makes a compatible synthetic media filter that is a little larger and is supposed to be for longer intervals. It's their XP.

I have used Mobil 1 303A on my Duramaxes. They are pretty big and have a lot of media and seem well constructed. I like Baldwin and Bosch too. I suppose they are all suitable. I guess once you get used to something you don't like to change.
That's true. I have read that Wix manufactures most of the OEM filters. We used a lot of Baldwin & Fleet rite filters back when I used to run and maintain heavy equipment. Good commercial grade filters.

We ran a lot of Baldwin and Donaldson at the farm, so I trust them. I know shit of guys ran Cat long filters on their Duramaxes, but may hsve required an adapter.

I went to O'Reilly at lunch. This is the Mobil 1 M303A, AC Delco PF63 and Wix WL10255XP side by each. The M1 is 30% larger, but I don't think it would fit the new small mount.

Attachments

• 20231031_101628.jpg
    20231031_101628.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231031_101647.jpg
    20231031_101647.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I went to O'Reilly at lunch. This is the Mobil 1 M303A, AC Delco PF63 and Wix WL10255XP side by each. The M1 is 30% larger, but I don't think it would fit thos new small mount.
I would go with the Mobil-1. I have used them a lot in prior vehicles.

I would go with the Mobil-1. I have used them a lot in prior vehicles.
The compatible Mobile 1 filter is the M1 212A. I was gonna use it on the 1500, but it is so small it looked like it belongs on a lawn mower! I won't use it for that reason. They are otherwise good filters and you can get them for $10.

The compatible Mobile 1 filter is the M1 212A. I was gonna use it on the 1500, but it is so small it looked like it belongs on a lawn mower! I won't use it for that reason. They are otherwise good filters and you can get them for $10.
The 303 looks enormous next to the other two. That is a small space they have now. The filter housing looks like part of the pan.

The 303 looks enormous next to the other two. That is a small space they have now. The filter housing looks like part of the pan.
Yeah, there's also a hose hanging at bottom end. Much longer and you might not get it in there.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back