I changed oil on both my wife's 6.2 L Tahoe and ZR2 at 1500 miles. Here's what I've learned.
- Filter is constructed well with a lot of filter media.
- Oil was darker than expected for 1500 miles.
- Filter was doing its job well.
- Oil had a fair amount of gray sludge visible in drain pan from metal wear.
- Filter media had collected plenty of metal shavings deep in the pleats.
- I personally always change oil early first time and stand by that decision based on what I've seen here.
- Oil change is pretty clean and easy. Oil drains fast and well from drain plug. Filter will drain some on the sway bar and drive line support. Filter is set up in there and a little hard to access especially when hand tightening if you have big mitts.
- I love changing oil and cutting open filters.