AC Delco PF 63 Oil Filter Anatomy

AXE

Reaction score
I changed oil on both my wife's 6.2 L Tahoe and ZR2 at 1500 miles. Here's what I've learned.
  • Filter is constructed well with a lot of filter media.
  • Oil was darker than expected for 1500 miles.
  • Filter was doing its job well.
  • Oil had a fair amount of gray sludge visible in drain pan from metal wear.
  • Filter media had collected plenty of metal shavings deep in the pleats.
  • I personally always change oil early first time and stand by that decision based on what I've seen here.
  • Oil change is pretty clean and easy. Oil drains fast and well from drain plug. Filter will drain some on the sway bar and drive line support. Filter is set up in there and a little hard to access especially when hand tightening if you have big mitts.
  • I love changing oil and cutting open filters.

Attachments

• 20230319_111840.jpg
    20230319_111840.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 20230319_111912.jpg
    20230319_111912.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230319_112405.jpg
    20230319_112405.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 86
The lighter filter media is from Tahoe and darker media is from ZR2. You can see the metal debris pretty easily.

Attachments

• 20230319_112558.jpg
    20230319_112558.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230319_113100.jpg
    20230319_113100.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 66
I did mine early at 1200 miles as well. I'll do it again at 4K. My oil was pretty clean & the filter was too, like your Tahoe. I hope this is a good sign moving forward. I do three fairly long road trips a year and I want to be able to trust this truck. It takes me a while to really believe in a new vehicle. I can only imagine having to call roadside assistance in the middle of nowhere and ruining the whole journey. I like this stuff too.

Just to be clear, the Tahoe filter looks cleaner cause it was drier after draining for two weeks on my workbench. The ZR2 filter was wet and only had 24 hours of drain time. Comparatively they were both the same.

My biggest concern was the metal sludge in the oil. Not because I think it was abnormal. However, It is suspended and not filterable. That means the oil cannot effectively put a barrier between wear surfaces. In my experience this could happen for a few oil changes, but should dissipate.

Here are the Tahoe and ZR2 filters at 10k. Nothing really remarkable. Barley a couple small flakes visible in the deep filter pleats. Filters were drained for about 1 week+, filter media looked very clean. The Tahoe change was 5000 mile interval and the ZR2 was 2500 miles. Tahoe on left, ZR2 on the right.

Attachments

• 20240324_141433.jpg
    20240324_141433.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240407_193233.jpg
    20240407_193233.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My zr2 has 4500 miles and I haven't changed oil yet. Guess I better do it soon at the dealership (cuz its free).
Yep, it'll like be pretty dirty and the filter will have plenty of debris. You risk getting a plugged filter and then the bypass will open and it'll circulate dirty oil and increase wear.

My zr2 has 4500 miles and I haven't changed oil yet. Guess I better do it soon at the dealership (cuz its free).
OH MY...... I can just hear the metal pieces snapping on the magnet..... 😂

Congratulations on your new truck! I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us do. It's an extremely capable vehicle and has definitely outperformed my expectations. I am extremely happy with this truck!

I am an avid believer in frequent oil changes. It will extended the life of your engine quite significantly if you change your oil every 2k miles or so. Some even recommended every 1000- 1500 to really get the most out of an engine. Any engine!

I did my 1st oil change long before 2k. Others here have even done it before 1k. It gets all the break-in particles out.

I only use high quality brands of oil like Mobil 1 or Valvoline and only fully synthetic. I also use 1 q of fully synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer every change as well.

I have used Lucas in every vehicle I have owned and it has definitely improved the longevity of my engines. I'm not a salesperson for Lucas, I just firmly believe that the product does an outstanding job at protecting and extending the life of any engine whether it be a lawn mower or generator or diesel or gas. I paid cash from my truck and I want to protect that investment in the best way I can. I believe frequent oil changes are the number one maintenance item to extending and protecting the engine life.

When you take it in to get the oil changed, ask the tech if you can see the oil. Like @AXE said It's probably extremely dirty and full of the break-in metals which is horrible for your engine. That will definitely change your mind. Just be glad you didn't let it go longer.

I plan on having my transmission and transfer case done as well. Long before the recommended changes.

Don't take my word for it, just do the research yourself and you will find out just how important frequent oil changes are.

Welcome to the forum.👍 There are a great bunch of fellas here and a plethora of invaluable information!

OH MY...... I can just hear the metal pieces snapping on the magnet..... 😂

Congratulations on your new truck! I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us do. It's an extremely capable vehicle and has definitely outperformed my expectations. I am extremely happy with this truck!

I am an avid believer in frequent oil changes. It will extended the life of your engine quite significantly if you change your oil every 2k miles or so. Some even recommended every 1000- 1500 to really get the most out of an engine. Any engine!

I did my 1st oil change long before 2k. Others here have even done it before 1k. It gets all the break-in particles out.

I only use high quality brands of oil like Mobil 1 or Valvoline and only fully synthetic. I also use 1 q of fully synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer every change as well.

I have used Lucas in every vehicle I have owned and it has definitely improved the longevity of my engines. I'm not a salesperson for Lucas, I just firmly believe that the product does an outstanding job at protecting and extending the life of any engine whether it be a lawn mower or generator or diesel or gas. I paid cash from my truck and I want to protect that investment in the best way I can. I believe frequent oil changes are the number one maintenance item to extending and protecting the engine life.

When you take it in to get the oil changed, ask the tech if you can see the oil. Like @AXE said It's probably extremely dirty and full of the break-in metals which is horrible for your engine. That will definitely change your mind. Just be glad you didn't let it go longer.

I plan on having my transmission and transfer case done as well. Long before the recommended changes.

Don't take my word for it, just do the research yourself and you will find out just how important frequent oil changes are.

Welcome to the forum.👍 There are a great bunch of fellas here and a plethora of invaluable information!
my thoughts exactly..well said

Most Member Reactions

Back