Amp Research XL power step

Has anyone successfully installed the Amp research XL power step.
I thought about it but decided to add the Extreme Power Steps.

Attachments

• Power Steps.jpg
    Power Steps.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20230227_164410.jpg
    20230227_164410.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 258
I installed the regular Amp boards and the drop height is perfect. I think the XL would drop too far down.

Also it's not plug n play, you have to splice into two wires into two separate plugs going into the BCM due to the new technology package.

It's hard to pull the plugs and hard to find the color codes wires as the wire color are hard to distinguish. I finally figured it out, but unless you are comfortable pulling and solving wires, it's a PIA. I could do it easily now......LOL!

They look clean folded up and doesn't lose any clearance! Smooth going down, a little clunk when they fold up.

Attachments

• 20230220_202725.jpg
    20230220_202725.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 20230218_135040.jpg
    20230218_135040.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20230209_195203.jpg
    20230209_195203.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 20230209_184323.jpg
    20230209_184323.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I installed the regular Amp boards and the drop height is perfect. I think the XL would drop too far down.

Also it's not plug n play, you have to splice into two wires into two separate plugs going into the BCM due to the new technology package.

It's hard to pull the plugs and hard to find the color codes wires as the wire color are hard to distinguish. I finally figured it out, but unless you are comfortable pulling and solving wires, it's a PIA. I could do it easily now......LOL!

They look clean folded up and doesn't lose any clearance! Smooth going down, a little clunk when they fold up.
Do you have the deployment switch? If so where did you place it?

I did not add that. Not sure it would be necessary for me. I know a lot of people say they really like it. I would put the switch in the plastic trim below the steering wheel where it was hidden.

I did not add that. Not sure it would be necessary for me. I know a lot of people say they really like it. I would put the switch in the plastic trim below the steering wheel where it was hidden.
I stuck mine in the upper glove box. That way when I go off-roading I cannot accidentally hit the button to allow them to deploy when a door is opened over an obstacle. Hopefully, they hold up and I don't destroy them.

I’ve done a MASSIVE amount of research on power running boards. I initially opted for the RBP steps over AMP but just recently caught wind of a set made by RC that sell for half the price of both the aforementioned. Based off the fact that this is far from new technology, I figure the quality of engineering is probably similar and all reviews I’ve seen claim as much. I also like the fact that there are 3 points of attachment on the RC boards versus 2 on the RBP and AMP steps. I’ve placed the order and will report back with quality and ease of install assessment, along with a few photos. Let the RC hate begin. I’ve used a Miriam of their products and never had any of the issues some claim to experience with their products.

Sounds good to me! Looking forward to seeing them.

I've never had a set before, but the Amp boards seem stout. I go about 6 foot and 235 lbs dressed out and my dad is about 250. They don't even seem to flex. I think you could throw a 300 lber on there and not be worried.

Instructions showed you what wires to splice to? So old plug n play doesn't work?

I’ve done a MASSIVE amount of research on power running boards. I initially opted for the RBP steps over AMP but just recently caught wind of a set made by RC that sell for half the price of both the aforementioned. Based off the fact that this is far from new technology, I figure the quality of engineering is probably similar and all reviews I’ve seen claim as much. I also like the fact that there are 3 points of attachment on the RC boards versus 2 on the RBP and AMP steps. I’ve placed the order and will report back with quality and ease of install assessment, along with a few photos. Let the RC hate begin. I’ve used a Miriam of their products and never had any of the issues some claim to experience with their products.
Rc boards have a sensor you have to install in the door sills that I didn't like.

Instructions showed you what wires to splice to? So old plug n play doesn't work?
Yeah, but the instructions are we black and white and distinguishing the colors is hard, cause they all look the same.

Those are the best pictures I have. I've wired lots of shit and that was about as much of a mystery as I've seen. You'll figure it out.

Not all.of them. The difference is you have to tap wires in the BCM, because the technology package is different starting in 2023. The door controls are not recognized through OBD port.

Update the RC boards for our truck are SKU# PSR51920.
These boards come with 2x attachment points on each side same as AMP and RBP.
The lights install into the rocker panel same as the AMP and RBP. Older models had the lights installed along the side of the step.
Standard RC kit comes with 2x motors on each side rather than this option being an upgrade on similar manufacturers.
Still owe everyone an install and photo update. More to follow.

Has anyone installed an OBD bypass port?
Me thinks it would be a good idea - service department can access OBD without unplugging AMP OBD connector.

Axe, thanks for the fotos of the connectors - pic=1,000 words!

Reactions: AXE
Has anyone installed an OBD bypass port?
Me thinks it would be a good idea - service department can access OBD without unplugging AMP OBD connector.

Axe, thanks for the fotos of the connectors - pic=1,000 words!
I will say that most of the time those “bypass” ports inhibit communication with “real” scanning equipment. I have to direct port constantly with vehicles with pass throughs.

I opted for the regular amp steps minus the AutoZone 12k blue LED’s.

Really irritating that amp went with such an obvious aftermarket look at me color vs a factory OEM appearing 5-6k light output.

Don’t get me wrong if it’s your cup of tea, fantastic. They should offer an WRGB option to tickle everyone’s fancy.

I will say that most of the time those “bypass” ports inhibit communication with “real” scanning equipment. I have to direct port constantly with vehicles with pass throughs.

I opted for the regular amp steps minus the AutoZone 12k blue LED’s.

Really irritating that amp went with such an obvious aftermarket look at me color vs a factory OEM appearing 5-6k light output.

Don’t get me wrong if it’s your cup of tea, fantastic. They should offer an WRGB option to tickle everyone’s fancy.
I have been thinking of swapping mine for rock lights in those spots. The light blue is not bright at all. I was after the dual motors on each side.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back