AUX OUTLETS

ZR2NYC

Reaction score
i tried using my 12v portable tire compressor along with my 12v portable impact driver. the ZR2 does not come with old school cig lighter receptacle so i got an adaptor to plug into the 120v outlet. was it wrong to assume these would work? i get nothing when plugged in but when connected directly to battery they both work.

I know the outlet in the bed only works when the truck is running and you can’t just use remote start. You have to have to start the truck with the dash button
thanks. i had truck running and tried outlet in the bed and console. also had adaptors for USB outlets.

i tried using my 12v portable tire compressor along with my 12v portable impact driver. the ZR2 does not come with old school cig lighter receptacle so i got an adaptor to plug into the 120v outlet. was it wrong to assume these would work? i get nothing when plugged in but when connected directly to battery they both work.
keep in mind these plugs are only rated for 400 watts which works out to about 3 amps actually 3.33 amps so it will not run much anything within 80% (2.664 amps) of the max load will be difficult to run. This is for the bed 400 watt and cab 250 watt on the 2020-2023 outlets. For 2024 all outlets are 400 watt because they deleted the 12 volt outlets.

I know the outlet in the bed only works when the truck is running and you can’t just use remote start. You have to have to start the truck with the dash button
you can enable the outlets and usb's by holding the start button without pressing the brake and it acts just like turning your key on in the older keyed models

You would be much better off just adding your own 12v outlet. I put one in my center console Because I have a battery charger that uses it. Sounds like you got a 110v ac to 12v dc converter. Going from 12v dc to an inverter to 110ac then back to 12v dc with a converter doesn't make a lot of sense. There are a lot of losses doing that.

Just pick up a 12v outlet for 8 bucks and run a wire. If you want it to only work when the truck is on. Add a relay and use a fuse tap in the passenger side fuse panel on the fuse marked USB to activatethe relay. I'd have to look to see what number the fuse is.

Use 12ga wire for the outlet and 20 amp fuse. You should easily be able to run any typically 12v stuff that has a 12v plug

You would be much better off just adding your own 12v outlet. I put one in my center console Because I have a battery charger that uses it. Sounds like you got a 110v ac to 12v dc converter. Going from 12v dc to an inverter to 110ac then back to 12v dc with a converter doesn't make a lot of sense. There are a lot of losses doing that.

Just pick up a 12v outlet for 8 bucks and run a wire. If you want it to only work when the truck is on. Add a relay and use a fuse tap in the passenger side fuse panel on the fuse marked USB to activatethe relay. I'd have to look to see what number the fuse is.

Use 12ga wire for the outlet and 20 amp fuse. You should easily be able to run any typically 12v stuff that has a 12v plug
thanks... all great info. gonna go alligator clip to battery route.

These plug ins have sucked since 2014, no power to run anything direct. Get an inverter that puts out the required juice for your application. Maybe mount it off the front of bed if you have it covered and direct wire to battery with heavy guage.

These plug ins have sucked since 2014, no power to run anything direct. Get an inverter that puts out the required juice for your application. Maybe mount it off the front of bed if you have it covered and direct wire to battery with heavy guage.
I actually looked online a little to see if there was any options to upgrade the OEM one. Didn't really find anything. I'm sure it could probably be done with out to much trouble though. Pretty sure the factory one is mounted behind the back seat on the driver's side.

Hey ZR2 fam,
I want to install an air compressor to air up after trail running and want it to be as "factory looking" as possible. Lots of good ideas here and was wondering if anyone that has installed one would go a different route?

Reactions: AXE
There are some good options. I think 8 Ball did it. I always look to the Jeep guys for ideas. They seem to have a lot of experience.

I've always ended up going to a more portable format from Vair and also use a CO2 tank from PowerTank for quick air ups for 35s.

Last edited:
I put an ARB compressor in my truck. Have one in the wife’s Jeep Rubicon. Both fit our needs. If I were to do it again I’d probably get the dual ARB.

Attachments

• IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 49
Hey ZR2 fam,
I want to install an air compressor to air up after trail running and want it to be as "factory looking" as possible. Lots of good ideas here and was wondering if anyone that has installed one would go a different route?
I've got a thread on here titled onboard air you might want to check out. I'm very happy with my setup and have used it a lot. Everything from tools and airbags to airing up my kids paddle board. I had onboard air on my last truck for 11 years. Guess it depends on what you do. For me, I'll put it on any truck I get. I actually have a portable 20v battery compressor for work stuff. But I don't want to lug it around in the truck 24/7 and have to worry about batteries for it. Having a built in system means it's always there and not taking up any storage space.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm looking to do a built in system.

Nice setup Q. Is that switch on the side for on/off?

I'll check your post out 8ball. I remember running across it when I first joined but I wasn't in need of a compressor yet. Glad this forum exists!

AXE I'm going to infiltrate the jeepers page by saying I own a first Gen liberty with a 20" lift and 40" tires. BRB.

Ok ZR2 team,
Not even sure any dealers or if the GM knows but
I discovered how to turn on the 120v outlets on with out the engine running! if you pressed the ignition switch with out the brake on it turn on accessories, but not the 120 volt outlets. But if you then pressed ignition switch and held it for approx 3 seconds it allowed the use of the 120 volt outlets without the engine running. what you like use must be plugged in the outlet.
To be safe on battery turn radio off, auto lights off , dim dash before so save some battery life.
I have a Duralast 2000 peak amp jump starter power pack I keep on board ever time I tailgate.

Ok ZR2 team,
I discovered how to turn on the 120v outlets on with out the engine running! if you pressed the ignition switch with out the brake on it turn on accessories, but not the 120 volt outlets. But if you then pressed ignition switch and held it for approx 3 seconds it allowed the use of the 120 volt outlets without the engine running. what you like use must be plugged in the outlet.
To be safe on battery turn radio off, auto lights off , dim dash before so save some battery life.
I have a Duralast 2000 peak amp jump starter power pack I keep on board ever time I tailgate.
Every time I tailgate I never needed the power starter but have in case!

Ok ZR2 team,
good info. thanks for bringing original thread topic back!!! shame....shame..shame ZR2bison!!

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back