AUX OUTLETS

I have a Lithium battery setup in my truck bed. I use SmittyBilt 2781 that uses only 45 amps. As it gets hot during 4 way inflation, I don't want it to be setup inside the truck.

I use truck bed AC outlet for charging the Lithium battery (Victron AC-DC 25 amps) and the complete system works without any issue. Battery keep charging during the drive.

I have a Lithium battery setup in my truck bed. I use SmittyBilt 2781 that uses only 45 amps. As it gets hot during 4 way inflation, I don't want it to be setup inside the truck.

I use truck bed AC outlet for charging the Lithium battery (Victron AC-DC 25 amps) and the complete system works without any issue. Battery keep charging during the drive.
I'm surprised the bed outlet handles that. Do you happen to know how many watts or amps that charger pulls? I can't even plug in a fast charger for 20v tool batteries, lol. Factory 120 outlet can only handle 3.2 amps.

I'm surprised the bed outlet handles that. Do you happen to know how many watts or amps that charger pulls? I can't even plug in a fast charger for 20v tool batteries, lol. Factory 120 outlet can only handle 3.2 amps.
confirmed. factory outlets suck...bummed me out when my tire inflator didnt work. outlets worked fine in my 21' sierra. to add insult to injury, 22' ZR2 has no 12v cigar plugs. i run directly to battery with alligator clips.

Reactions: AXE
Yeah it is about @3 amps but the Victron AC-DC charger converts to 12V. I have to check total amps it uses during charge. Also I have 2k inverter attached to battery.

I am not sure how many Watts power tool may require but I can easily run 1000 watt+ stuff with battery.

I am also thinking to add DC-DC charger but don't want to drill holes in bed yet for cable.

Yeah it is about @3 amps but the Victron AC-DC charger converts to 12V. I have to check total amps it uses during charge. Also I have 2k inverter attached to battery.

I am not sure how many Watts power tool may require but I can easily run 1000 watt+ stuff with battery.

I am also thinking to add DC-DC charger but don't want to drill holes in bed yet for cable.
would you mind posting pics of all essentials mounted ie; inverter. thanks

Oh I definitely understand about the extra battery and inverter. I was just surprised the factory inverter ran the ac-dc charger well. My tool batteries are only around 5 ah. A fast charger will trip the factory inverter. Standard charger works ok, but is pretty slow. Since the truck has to be on, taking an hour+ to recharge a single battery isn't really useful. I figured your battery in the bed was decent size, especially if you have a 1k inverter on it.

Have you actually pulled your battery down much to see if the charger setup will handle it? Charger probably pulls more power if the battery is at a lower state of charge. For most power tools you really need a 2k+ inverter. I didn't expect the factory outlet to do that. But I would have thought more than 400 watts. 1k would have run a decent battery charger atleast.

would you mind posting pics of all essentials mounted ie; inverter. thanks

Sure. Pictures and , if helps, Components:

Attachments

• top-view.jpg
    top-view.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 22
  • front-components.jpg
    front-components.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 23
  • inverter.jpg
    inverter.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh I definitely understand about the extra battery and inverter. I was just surprised the factory inverter ran the ac-dc charger well. My tool batteries are only around 5 ah. A fast charger will trip the factory inverter. Standard charger works ok, but is pretty slow. Since the truck has to be on, taking an hour+ to recharge a single battery isn't really useful. I figured your battery in the bed was decent size, especially if you have a 1k inverter on it.

Have you actually pulled your battery down much to see if the charger setup will handle it? Charger probably pulls more power if the battery is at a lower state of charge. For most power tools you really need a 2k+ inverter. I didn't expect the factory outlet to do that. But I would have thought more than 400 watts. 1k would have run a decent battery charger atleast.

I found that the 400W is total of both outlets (cabin and truck bed).

Victron Charger automatically adjusts the charging amps based on input wattage. In app, I saw it fluctuating. I don't have numbers yet but can try it out one day.

The inverter fuse is 40A. Not sure adding 220A alternator, more powerful starter battery and higher wattage inverter (400+ W) would have helped. Hybrid vehicles have 2K+ Watt inverters.

Most Member Reactions

Back