Back in the saddle

Conq490

Reaction score
My 2017 High Country was wiped out so I bought a used 2023 Bison with 10k miles. I had no intention of getting rid of the HC because I had it right where I wanted it: performance tune, 3.73 gears, cognitos, bilsteins, Detroit TruTrac, and luggy STT Pros. Loved that truck and it drove like a horny monster!! However, this new truck is unreal thus far. I do most of my off road therapy towing an off grid trailer so I’m interested in anyone else that yanks a bumper pull. Also interested in swapping these non-mudder mudders. Looking at MT Baja Boss AT in 295/70/r18s that are around 34.5” tall… anyone know if they rub? Posting old setup and new rig and will post how it rolls off road under load.
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_2676.jpeg

Yes that size tire will likely rub. Especially if you run spacers or a 0 or negative offset rim. If you do a level kit, you might be able to prevent it. Bison bumper may help.

My 295 Toyo RT Trails rubbed alot with -12 offset rims. It's easy to trim stock bumper and rear plastic in wheel well. I have a detailed thread showing what I did.

People have successfully ran Nitto Recon Grapplers and a few have used BFG T/A K02 in 295/70/18.
BFG TA K02
Overall Dia: 34.3"
Section Width: 11.8"
Tread width: 9.8"

Nitto Recon Grappler
Tread Width: 9.4"

MT Baja Boss A/T:
Overall Dia: 34.5"
Section Width: 11.7"
Tread Width: 10.3"

So you can see the MT Baja Boss are a little bigger.

I have the MTs on my Jeep in 35/12.50 and really like them. Great highway manners (not noisy) and great off road too.
When I get ready to change my tires I will most likely go with the MTs with the BFGs a close second. Which means I will probably have to mod it. I like Nittos, but dont care for the Recon Grappler looks.

Also you may need to run air bags with that trailer. The suspension is great, but definitely soft when loaded. Not sure what the tongue weight is, but my boat and utility trailer would sag on my ZR2. Not horrible, but off road it might be too much.

I had air bags on my HC because it sagged. Good to hear about adding.

I really like the 295/70/r18 because it is basically a 10 ply tire and massive weight rating. My super naive thinking is that if I have to air down to 20-25 psi when towing up a gnarly trail I won’t shred the tire. I thought about beadlocks but i only get into that type of spot maybe once a year.

People have successfully ran Nitto Recon Grapplers and a few have used BFG T/A K02 in 295/70/18.
BFG TA K02
Tread width: 9.8"

Nitto Recon Grappler
Tread Width: 9.4"

MT Baja Boss A/T:
Overall Dia: 34.5"
Section Width: 11.7"
Tread Width: 10.3"

So you can see the MT Baja Boss are a little bigger.

I have the MTs on my Jeep in 35/12.50 and really like them. Great highway manners (not noisy) and great off road too.
When I get ready to change my tires I will most likely go with the MTs with the BFGs a close second. Which means I will probably have to mod it. I like Nittos, but dont care for the Recon Grappler looks.
I hear the MT is an amazing hybrid style tire. I define my need as leaning off road rather than smooth daily.

I hear the MT is an amazing hybrid style tire. I define my need as leaning off road rather than smooth daily.
So far the MTs have been great for trail riding and adventurous off road exploring. I've been in some gnarly places, but haven't done any serious rock crawling, yet.

The RT Trails are really nice on and off road in Arizona. I've ran them in the mud and rain and good there too. My boys been running them in the snow and they seem to work well there too.

Only complaint is that on my boys 2500HD, they seem to get some chipping on the edges of the lugs when he runs gravel roads. Might be the extra weight of the HD. Haven't see that much in my 1500 ZR2.

I used to run Toyo MTs in my 2500HD and that was a great tire. That's the rig my boys driving now.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back