BISON OWNERS QUESTION

Shodan01

Reaction score
Just got my '23 ZR2 when I saw the Bison revealed. Looking at the front bumper that has eyelets (not just the tow hooks) to flat tow the Silverado behind my RV.

I know the old AEV Jeep bumpers allowed this but AEV tells me that it is up to GM whether these eyelets meet standards etc. Questions if anyone has their hands on one now?

1. Width of eyelet side to side?
2. Diameter of hole in eyelet? (Interior pin size)
3. Distance between eyelets outside to outside?

THANK YOU in advance if anyone has this info.

Steve

Anyone else have experience with flat towing a 1500 ZR2 Bison or modifying the bumper for a baseplate?

Does anyone know if these insets could be cut out and line up with the frame rails?

Attachments

• MY23_Chevrolet_Silverado_Bison_12.jpg
    MY23_Chevrolet_Silverado_Bison_12.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 7
Anyone else have experience with flat towing a 1500 ZR2 Bison or modifying the bumper for a baseplate?

Does anyone know if these insets could be cut out and line up with the frame rails?
The bumpet itself is very stout. The frame is as well. There's always a way. If you need to, someone can do some fab work.

The eyelets on the bumper are made to accommodate soft shackles for pulling and vehicle recovery. The holes are a larger diameter, so anything you want to attach there may need custom pins.

Here's some photos showing the frame on a 1500 non Bison. It a real project removing the front fascia. Others have posted pictures and some YouTube videos of winch installs and that might help you come up with a plan.

When working on my Bison front bumper on the 2500HD, I can tell you it would be hard to accommodate any new equipment coming off the frame. The mounts are massive and so is the bumper. My gut feeling is you would need to come off the hooks or through the winch mount.

Those plastic fantastic insets should pop out. They are heels in with trim tabs. I pulled mine on my 2500HD to build some customs light bezels. They are different in the 1500, but same principle

The bumpet itself is very stout. The frame is as well. There's always a way. If you need to, someone can do some fab work.

The eyelets on the bumper are made to accommodate soft shackles for pulling and vehicle recovery. The holes are a larger diameter, so anything you want to attach there may need custom pins.

Here's some photos showing the frame on a 1500 non Bison. It a real project removing the front fascia. Others have posted pictures and some YouTube videos of winch installs and that might help you come up with a plan.

When working on my Bison front bumper on the 2500HD, I can tell you it would be hard to accommodate any new equipment coming off the frame. The mounts are massive and so is the bumper. My gut feeling is you would need to come off the hooks or through the winch mount.

This is what is offered on non AEV bumpers, was hoping they may line up with the inset areas

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 11.42.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 11.42.06 AM.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 11.42.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 11.42.00 AM.png
    49 KB · Views: 22
Those look really nice, but I think the Bison bumpers are mounted into this same spots in the frame. The tow hooks may be the best option and should accommodate flat towing with some type of fabrication.

Here's some photos with the skid removed on my 2500HD. You can see how the bumper goes into the frame. There is room below the bumper mount. But you'd have to cut out or remove the skid plate and come up below the bumper. I think that would look janky.

Attachments

• 20240303_141700.jpg
    20240303_141700.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240303_141756.jpg
    20240303_141756.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240303_141812.jpg
    20240303_141812.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 15
Those look really nice, but I think the Bison bumpers are mounted into this same spots in the frame. The tow hooks may be the best option and should accommodate flat towing with some type of fabrication.

Here's some photos with the skid removed on my 2500HD. You can see how the bumper goes into the frame. There is room below the bumper mount. But you'd have to cut out or remove the skid plate and come up below the bumper. I think that would look janky.
Found these that are made to attach to most jeep off-road bumpers in 1" and 7/8". Can chance you would mind measuring the tow hooks for me? Thanks for all your help and advice.

I'm 1500 miles from my truck. So maybe someone else can get it.

They are at least an inch diameter hole and 1.5-2 inches across. I would want them tight with bushings to prevent wear. Otherwise it'll beat the hell out of the bumper and truck would move around a lot.

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back