Bison VS ZR2 skidplates

GO2JAIL

Reaction score
Are there any differences in the skidplates on the Bison vs the ZR2? I'm just looking for a little more rock protection as well as some protection from catalytic converter thieves. I don't know if stealing the cats off these are a thing, but you never know...

Last edited:
Are there any differences in the skidplates on the Bison vs the ZR2? I'm just looking for a little more rock protection as well as some protection from catalytic converter thieves. I don't know if stealing the cats off these are a thing, buy you never know...
There are really no skid plates on the standard ZR2. You get some cheap sheet metal up front and a skid on the transfer case. The Bison skids are really stout and they give you a lot more protection. Can't buy them separately. You either bought the Bison or didn't.

There are really no skid plates on the standard ZR2. You get some cheap sheet metal up front and a skid on the transfer case. The Bison skids are really stout and they give you a lot more protection. Can't buy them separately. You either bought the Bison or didn't.
I spoke with AEV months ago, they said the bison equipment for the ZR2 Silverado should be available like their other trucks. Still waiting for that.

ZR2 Bison Underbody Skid Plate P/N 85550011
ZR2 Bison Transfer Case Skid Plate P/N 86513097
ZR2 Bison Steering Skid Plate P/N 85550010

Everything is gettable. I now have a 2022 Z71 on full ZR2 suspension (yes, the UCAs, LCAs, Knuckles, Diff Drop, Lift Pucks...etc you name it).

Problem with the Bison stuff is the astronomical price. It's not boron steel like the Colorado's but it looks priced to keep "normies" away.

Example: ZR2 transfer case skid is $57.75. Bison is $799.38 (from GMPartsDirect)

Everything is gettable. I now have a 2022 Z71 on full ZR2 suspension (yes, the UCAs, LCAs, Knuckles, Diff Drop, Lift Pucks...etc you name it).

Problem with the Bison stuff is the astronomical price. It's not boron steel like the Colorado's but it looks priced to keep "normies" away.

Example: ZR2 transfer case skid is $57.75. Bison is $799.38 (from GMPartsDirect)
I've said that many times. People thought they would magically come on sale for 50% off the price GM buys them for to install on their trucks. Not everyone studied at Trump U, some went to Harvard.

Wait till they see the price of the bumpers.......even the crooked ones........LOL.

For my 2022 model, I was talking to my local dealer parts guy and he mentioned that all skid plates are listed under 2023+ models. Neither he or GM Support will be able to confirm its fitment for 2022 models. Another best part is that skid plates fasteners cost extra.

Maybe underbody pics of 2022 and 2023+ models can help with any differences for fitment purposes.

You have any pics? The part numbers are good but there are no pics.
I went with the Talon plate. It came in last weekend. I mocked it up, 10 minute installation. It's 1/4" aluminum and HEAVY. I got the one with the reinforcing ribs. If you get this YOU WILL NEED AN OIL UDDER! The access hole is small but doable.

I went with the Talon plate. It came in last weekend. I mocked it up, 10 minute installation. It's 1/4" aluminum and HEAVY. I got the one with the reinforcing ribs. If you get this YOU WILL NEED AN OIL UDDER! The access hole is small but doable.
Do you have any pictures of this setup?

Yeap, there are no pics on any site.

For my 2022 model, I was talking to my local dealer parts guy and he mentioned that all skid plates are listed under 2023+ models. Neither he or GM Support will be able to confirm its fitment for 2022 models. Another best part is that skid plates fasteners cost extra.

Maybe underbody pics of 2022 and 2023+ models can help with any differences for fitment purposes.
There is no difference

Here is a pic of the Talon. The yardstick is for scale. I haven't installed it yet, I'm going to wait until my dealership's first free oil change. I don't EVEN want to deal with the mess they will make working around this thing or explaining the oil udder to the lowest mechanic on the totem pole who is changing my oil.

I spent the extra for the reinforcing ribs. Probably totally unneeded for me as I mainly got it for cat converter protection. It's 1/4" aluminum and it's HEAVY. Once I get it on, I will update you guys. I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Like I said, you WILL need an oil udder or something similar. Side-effect: the oil udder will come in handy on my other car.

Attachments

• IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 36
I like the Talon skid plate, just wish they would have made the access panel for oil changes a little larger. Like you, I'd use it more for cat security vs off-roading.

Here is a pic of the Talon. The yardstick is for scale. I haven't installed it yet, I'm going to wait until my dealership's first free oil change. I don't EVEN want to deal with the mess they will make working around this thing or explaining the oil udder to the lowest mechanic on the totem pole who is changing my oil.

I spent the extra for the reinforcing ribs. Probably totally unneeded for me as I mainly got it for cat converter protection. It's 1/4" aluminum and it's HEAVY. Once I get it on, I will update you guys. I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Like I said, you WILL need an oil udder or something similar. Side-effect: the oil udder will come in handy on my other car.
Not sure how you plan to run that cow tit out the skid when you drain the oil, but if you want to make it easy, you should use one of these Fumoto valves to make oil charges very simple and clean. If you get the one with the nipple, you can hook up a drain line and run it right through the skid. No fuss, no muss.

I've used several of these and a couple vehicles had 10 years and 150k miles on them.

So the Silverado AEV plates aren’t boron steel, just the Colorado ones are?

Not sure how you plan to run that cow tit out the skid when you drain the oil, but if you want to make it easy, you should use one of these Fumoto valves to make oil charges very simple and clean. If you get the one with the nipple, you can hook up a drain line and run it right through the skid. No fuss, no muss.

I've used several of these and a couple vehicles had 10 years and 150k miles on them.

I'm gonna order one right now. Since the skid plate will protect it, I don't have to worry about knocking it off.

Most Member Reactions

Back