BLACK Plastic Shroud Behind Rear View Mirror Removal?

securityguy

Reaction score
I will be installing my Blackvue Dashcam and Uniden R8 next weekend. I always make my installs look OEM and route the wires up into the bottom of the shroud. Does anyone know how this black piece covering the camera behind the rear view mirror snaps off? May just be 4 clips, but I have seen some weird stuff over the years as to how these are attached to the glass. I just don't want to break any clips so I always like to get advice first if someone has done it or has access to a manual or diagram. Thanks!

GM’s are pretty simple. You pop it off like a cover. Pop the trim cover from around the mirrior stalk and apply pressure away from the glass towards you to remove the “square” camera cover. The cover has 4 female U shaped clips that snap into the bracket on the glass.

Should have took a few pictures from my blend mount.

GM’s are pretty simple. You pop it off like a cover. Pop the trim cover from around the mirrior stalk and apply pressure away from the glass towards you to remove the “square” camera cover. The cover has 4 female U shaped clips that snap into the bracket on the glass.

Should have took a few pictures from my blend mount.
Thanks…exactly what I figured but I have worked on a few vehicles that had tabs at the top versus clips and if you pulled hard, they would snap. Is there any trick to removing the center section of this shroud where the mirror stalk is? The RAMs are a big PITA in this regard.

Thanks…exactly what I figured but I have worked on a few vehicles that had tabs at the top versus clips and if you pulled hard, they would snap. Is there any trick to removing the center section of this shroud where the mirror stalk is? The RAMs are a big PITA in this regard.
In my previous occupation, I would never remove the cover from the glass. I’d twist the mirrior off (completely different design then our trucks T-20) then remove the shroud in my lap. As it stays clipped to the mirrior itself. That’s if I was lucky and the truck wasn’t loaded with ADAS shit. If it was it was nylon tools to the rescue

In my previous occupation, I would never remove the cover from the glass. I’d twist the mirrior off (completely different design then our trucks T-20) then remove the shroud in my lap. As it stays clipped to the mirrior itself. That’s if I was lucky and the truck wasn’t loaded with ADAS shit. If it was it was nylon tools to the rescue
Sounds like I'll just use my nylon pry tool starting at the bottom and pop it off the glass after trying to pop off the center piece directly above the stalk. It's the center piece that may have tabs, so assuming that if I pull forward from the bottom, it will snap out. I, typically, melt a small groove in the bottom of these housings with my soldering iron for the 2 dash cam wires to run up into for that true OEM look and then just have the radar detector cable come through the mirror stalk point of entry and attach to my blend mount. Sound like a plan?

Comes off in seconds. No tools required

Attachments

• 70E2791C-BDF9-4DD3-BACB-488E441B0D3F.jpeg
    70E2791C-BDF9-4DD3-BACB-488E441B0D3F.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 895
  • A6967712-1E34-4207-94D7-17C08FB0D838.jpeg
    A6967712-1E34-4207-94D7-17C08FB0D838.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 895
  • 5402AAEC-487A-4055-8594-D0D3C96A5651.jpeg
    5402AAEC-487A-4055-8594-D0D3C96A5651.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 893
Thanks for doing this! I’ve got a radar detector install coming up and this helps immensely!!
No problem at all. If it is also helpful, I have the wire taps for power on the 1st and 4th pin of the top row on the mirrior power connector.

Good luck!

No problem at all. If it is also helpful, I have the wire taps for power on the 1st and 4th pin of the top row on the mirrior power connector.

Good luck!
Thanks my friend...pictures paint a 1000 words. Much appreciated and, once all of my parts come in, I can get these knocked out. I'm taking both the dash cam and radar detector to the fuse box on the passengers side.

A BIG thanks to @wutang61 for helping me with the rear view mirror shroud. The pics told me all that I need to know and my installation was a huge success. Thanks my friend!

Most Member Reactions

Back