Rear View Camera Mirror

securityguy

Reaction score
Anyone having "intermittent" issues with getting their rear camera to display on the mirror? Mine started up all of a sudden. If I do an ignition off and then restart the vehicle, that fixes it every time. Frustrating that I have to turn the truck off and then back on to get my rear view mirror to function about 10% of the time I start my truck now. Just curious is anyone else is experiencing this issue. Thx

Anyone having "intermittent" issues with getting their rear camera to display on the mirror? Mine started up all of a sudden. If I do an ignition off and then restart the vehicle, that fixes it every time. Frustrating that I have to turn the truck off and then back on to get my rear view mirror to function about 10% of the time I start my truck now. Just curious is anyone else is experiencing this issue. Thx
no issues......yet.

Truck is going in next Wednesday for the following:

1. Headliner replacement
2. Sunroof sun shade replacement
3. Passenger side B-Pillar replacement
4. Infotainment unit replacement

While in the shop, and I will be back there with the tech working on the truck, I will be securing my dash cam wiring to the vehicle roof underside with adhesive tape (I don't trust the tech to ensure the wiring is behind the airbags and where I want it to be), checking the connections for the rear view camera mirror, and assisting with putting it all back together. My rear view mirror issue didn't start until they took down my headliner (which they damaged, along with the sun shade and B-Pillar), fixing my leaking sunroof, and then reinstalled it. Thankfully, the GM is a friend and is letting me participate in the repairs to ensure it's done "right" and to my anal satisfaction. I told him the last tech should be fired for such incompetence and doing so much damage to my truck that was totally unnecessary. The radio is being replaced...again...since I am experiencing a new issue I never had before which is having intermittent issues connecting with BT. It's hit or miss whether I connect or not...never had that issue with the original radio. The phone shows it's connected to MyChevrolet, but the headunit doesn't acknowledge or see my phone. Hopefully, this times the charm and I can get my truck back like it should be. If I continue to have issues, I'm either going to trade it in and try to convince myself to buy another 1500 ZR2, or a 2500 ZR2 Gasser, or just go look at the Tundras. Not doing a RAM and certainly not buying a POS Ford with 3.7 million recalls. Not sure I want to give Mary Barra any more of my money since she has proven she could give a $shit about any of us :(

More to come, but I am getting tired of the BS and incompetent dealers.

I had that issue briefly on my fall road trip. A while after that is when I started having alot of my issues with my infotainment, BT connectivity, cameras sometimes showing partially black screen.

I have about 2 hours on mine after the most recent infotainment update and it does seem to work better. I swear the bass in the speakers is working better too.

I don't stream much, but I tried it today for a while, but did get one 1 second fade. Still think my shitty phone is part of the problem.

I don't use it much, as I like the old fashioned mirror better, but no issues yet when I do.

The camera mirror on my 22 would cut out from time to time. Was basically just annoying. It never stayed off. It just kind of flickered off and back on. Wasn't a constant thing. Seemed kind of random. Might do it a couple times in a day, but then might not do it for a few days. I never bothered taking it in to the dealer for it since it was so intermittent.

My 24 doesn't seem to have that issue. Or atleast at 2k miles I haven't noticed it. Personally I love the camera mirror. I hated it at first, but once I got use to it. Now I miss it when I'm in any other vehicles.

Surprised you are going through all that when they do the repair. Personally I'd just let them fix it and if it's not right make them redo it. Dash Camera is really easy to do yourself. Only 2 screws to pop the A piller off. I rather do my stuff in my own garage.

FWIW the B pillers are kind of a pain to remove. I could see someone damaging one pretty easily. I had a couple clips on mine that held on for dear life. You can only pull and pry on plastic so much.

Mine is a '22, the mirror has flickered a few times on me. Probably 4 times total. Only when it was really hot outside. It just shuts off for a half a second, then comes back on. Incredibly annoying and if I knew what caused it I'd have them fix it for sure. I can't replicate it, so I'm stuck ignoring it.

Truck is going in next Wednesday for the following:

1. Headliner replacement
2. Sunroof sun shade replacement
3. Passenger side B-Pillar replacement
4. Infotainment unit replacement

While in the shop, and I will be back there with the tech working on the truck, I will be securing my dash cam wiring to the vehicle roof underside with adhesive tape (I don't trust the tech to ensure the wiring is behind the airbags and where I want it to be), checking the connections for the rear view camera mirror, and assisting with putting it all back together. My rear view mirror issue didn't start until they took down my headliner (which they damaged, along with the sun shade and B-Pillar), fixing my leaking sunroof, and then reinstalled it. Thankfully, the GM is a friend and is letting me participate in the repairs to ensure it's done "right" and to my anal satisfaction. I told him the last tech should be fired for such incompetence and doing so much damage to my truck that was totally unnecessary. The radio is being replaced...again...since I am experiencing a new issue I never had before which is having intermittent issues connecting with BT. It's hit or miss whether I connect or not...never had that issue with the original radio. The phone shows it's connected to MyChevrolet, but the headunit doesn't acknowledge or see my phone. Hopefully, this times the charm and I can get my truck back like it should be. If I continue to have issues, I'm either going to trade it in and try to convince myself to buy another 1500 ZR2, or a 2500 ZR2 Gasser, or just go look at the Tundras. Not doing a RAM and certainly not buying a POS Ford with 3.7 million recalls. Not sure I want to give Mary Barra any more of my money since she has proven she could give a $shit about any of us :(

More to come, but I am getting tired of the BS and incompetent dealers.
good luck.

I had that issue briefly on my fall road trip. A while after that is when I started having alot of my issues with my infotainment, BT connectivity, cameras sometimes showing partially black screen.

I have about 2 hours on mine after the most recent infotainment update and it does seem to work better. I swear the bass in the speakers is working better too.

I don't stream much, but I tried it today for a while, but did get one 1 second fade. Still think my shitty phone is part of the problem.
that would be awesome if infotainment upgrade included bose too. i replaced my rear door speakers and my system improved 50%.

Just as a data point, my 24 hasn't so much as flickered that I have noticed, and I had a little trouble focusing on the camera mirror at first, when you look in a standard rearview, you look in the mirror but you instinctively focus on the distant reflection, but with the camera mirror there is no distant focus involved, took my brain a couple days to adjust, but now I love that thing.

Update:

She went into the shop yesterday to do the following - replace damaged headliner after sunroof replacement; replace damaged B-pillar; replace damaged sunroof shade. I was in the shop once he dropped the damaged headliner and had the opportunity to secure all of the rear dash cam wiring the way I wanted it to the roof of the cab well clear of any airbags.

When in the shop, they didn't like what they were seeing with the OEM battery and were having issues starting the truck. They replaced the battery.

I am now on radio #3. The first would never take an OTA. The second, only about 2 months old, has issues connecting to Bluetooth. Hopefully, third times the charm.

They called and said she'd be ready for pickup by tomorrow morning. I get her around noon when I'm free. I am "hopeful" the repairs will be to my satisfaction and all looks good and the radio has no more issues other than the audio muting which has yet to be 100% resolved.

I am going to see a dealer on Saturday that just received two 2500HD AT4X gassers. Based on how I feel about my 1500, and if they are reasonable on a trade and will sell at invoice, I may pull the trigger and get-r-done.

I love my 1500 ZR2, but I am losing patience and starting to think about trading all over again.

Update:

She went into the shop yesterday to do the following - replace damaged headliner after sunroof replacement; replace damaged B-pillar; replace damaged sunroof shade. I was in the shop once he dropped the damaged headliner and had the opportunity to secure all of the rear dash cam wiring the way I wanted it to the roof of the cab well clear of any airbags.

When in the shop, they didn't like what they were seeing with the OEM battery and were having issues starting the truck. They replaced the battery.

I am now on radio #3. The first would never take an OTA. The second, only about 2 months old, has issues connecting to Bluetooth. Hopefully, third times the charm.

They called and said she'd be ready for pickup by tomorrow morning. I get her around noon when I'm free. I am "hopeful" the repairs will be to my satisfaction and all looks good and the radio has no more issues other than the audio muting which has yet to be 100% resolved.

I am going to see a dealer on Saturday that just received two 2500HD AT4X gassers. Based on how I feel about my 1500, and if they are reasonable on a trade and will sell at invoice, I may pull the trigger and get-r-done.

I love my 1500 ZR2, but I am losing patience and starting to think about trading all over again.
Did they update the radio or just use the software that was old?

They are doing a full update of whatever GM currently has in the system as of today. I'm picking her up tomorrow and will let you know what file is in the radio.
It should help. My 24 HD's infotainment has been way better than my 22. I never had major problems. Just glitches here and there. But the 24 just seems to work. I'm sure hardware hasn't changed, so it should be software that makes the difference.

Just got my truck back. They did a nice job this time...only the rear passenger door panel needs to be replaced :ROFLMAO: The new radio is in and appears to be working well...but time will tell as I only drove it home. The main .mnf file is the same but the SPS and USB files appear to be newer than what was posted in the past. The radio is running a file dated Feb. 5, 2024

ZR2 Radio Software.jpg

Just got my truck back. They did a nice job this time...only the rear passenger door panel needs to be replaced :ROFLMAO: The new radio is in and appears to be working well...but time will tell as I only drove it home. The main .mnf file is the same but the SPS and USB files appear to be newer than what was posted in the past. The radio is running a file dated Feb. 5, 2024

View attachment 10164
It really sucks about what you have gone through. It does seem like the dealers are also not prepared for fixing new vehicles. Hope your vehicle works great this time. 👍

It really sucks about what you have gone through. It does seem like the dealers are also not prepared for fixing new vehicles. Hope your vehicle works great this time. 👍
Thanks my friend! I do LOVE my truck and whatever they break I hold their feet to the fire to replace. No push back from them and I know this cost them a pretty penny because they can't file it as a warranty claim. The door panel should be in soon and then, hopefully, I can put things to rest for a while:sleep:

Last edited:
How did they damage the rear door panel? Between the 2 ZR2s I can't count how many times I've had the interiors apart, lol. I've never damaged anything. Well I've cut and drilled various holes. But they were all intentional. 😅

Most Member Reactions

Latest Posts

Back