Borla Atak question

feliperrt1

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but hoping i can get some insight.

I’ve decided on the borla atak system. Can I just purchase the muffler itself? Or is there a reason why i would want to purchase the full cat back exhaust system?

This would be for a 24 silverado 1500 zr2

This might be a dumb question but hoping i can get some insight.

I’ve decided on the borla atak system. Can I just purchase the muffler itself? Or is there a reason why i would want to purchase the full cat back exhaust system?

This would be for a 24 silverado 1500 zr2
No questions are dumb. I bought the Atak Crate muffler and had a local muffler shop weld it in. I decided to delete the factory flapper valve during the install.

Thank you

Do you get any drone ?
Yes, at certain RPM range but might be due to tinnitus. An upcoming road trip next month is going to determine whether or not I keep this muffler installed long term. On shorter trips I can control it with slight adjustments to the gas pedal. Others have reported no drone with this muffler so might be a personal interpretation of the cabin sound.

Reactions: AXE
Yes, at certain RPM range but might be due to tinnitus. An upcoming road trip next month is going to determine whether or not I keep this muffler installed long term. On shorter trips I can control it with slight adjustments to the gas pedal. Others have reported no drone with this muffler so might be a personal interpretation of the cabin sound.
So is the full borla exhaust system designed to avoid drone?
Is that the reason to buy the whole system instead of just a muffler swap ?

I had a Borla muffler on mine, I cut the flapper and added a small resonator (and left both stock resonators) and had zero drone. A lot cheaper than a full system and I’ve yet to find solid factual data on how a full cat back system is significantly better to justify the cost. I personally didn’t care for the cold start waking the dead but it did sound really good driving around. My neighbor thought it sounded so good he bought it off of me when I traded in (and paid the labor to swap) on his Denali w/ 6.2

I had a Borla muffler on mine, I cut the flapper and added a small resonator (and left both stock resonators) and had zero drone. A lot cheaper than a full system and I’ve yet to find solid factual data on how a full cat back system is significantly better to justify the cost. I personally didn’t care for the cold start waking the dead but it did sound really good driving around. My neighbor thought it sounded so good he bought it off of me when I traded in (and paid the labor to swap) on his Denali w/ 6.2
What is the part number of the small resonator you added and where did you put it?

I think one of the most affordable and clean systems is the Magnaflow from Hottexhaust.com. For $600 you can install it yourself. It only replaces the stock muffler and flapper. The rest of
stock exhaust remains.

A few of us have installed it and everyone seems tp agree that start up noise is good, getting on the throttle is good, and minimal to no drone when cruising.

My neighbor has a Borla cat back on his 2018 Denali 6.2L and it sounds similar to my Magnaflow. Not sure what's different, but his start up is same as mine, but that truck doesn't go into the high idle from the get go like the new ones.

What is the part number of the small resonator you added and where did you put it?
An 8” resonator thst was in stock at the local muffler shop of memory serves. Simply doesn’t need to be anything special. They just welded it in line, zero drone and pretty sure it is essentially the “touring” setup they charge a butt load for at GM.

I put just the Atak crate muffler on mine. Did it the day after I bought the truck. 20k miles and I'm still happy with it. 2k for just a catback exhaust is just silly IMO. Especially when everything is already new. All you are really after is better sound. You aren't going to gain any noticeable HP with just an exhaust. The way these trucks high idle on cold starts. Most aftermarket exhausts are going to be a bit rowdy. Personally I like it to rumble a little at start up. But, it is something to consider depending on where you live and the schedule you keep. I park in a garage and my closest neighbor is 100+ yards away. If I lived in an apartment or a tightly packed subdivision. It might not be the best option. Its only rowdy on cold starts though. Rest of the time, I'd consider it about a medium. Not loud, but not quiet either. Normal driving you barely hear it. Towing up a big hill or when you get on it. You will know it's there though.

Reactions: AXE

Most Member Reactions

Back