Bug deflector

Those look great. Are they fastened with 2 sided tape or just a pressure fit type?
The hood deflector screws in under the hood using existing holes from the weather stripping. The weather stripping remains intact. No 3M tape...no clips the way it should be! The window units just slide in for the front and pressure fit...the rears have a bit of 3M tape to ensure they stay in place when the windows down. Super easy to install.

The hood deflector screws in under the hood using existing holes from the weather stripping. The weather stripping remains intact. No 3M tape...no clips the way it should be! The window units just slide in for the front and pressure fit...the rears have a bit of 3M tape to ensure they stay in place when the windows down. Super easy to install.
Thanks!

Installed my AVS 25881 today...very happy with it and it matches the truck great :D No 3M tape install crap...uses 6 existing holes in the hood and the OEM gasket. Mounts with 6 screws and washers and very tough acrylic! I usually install WeatherTech ones, but WT doesn't make one for the ZR2 hood yet.

View attachment 1537
Looks Great. Where did you get yours shield at. I am trying to find the one that bolts on as well. I would love to have the ones that light up.

I installed the deflector today on my 24 ZR2 and I’m kinda mixed on how it looks. More importantly,does anyone else have a really hard time sliding the latch to open the hood? The deflector reduces the gap between hood and grill and I had a really hard time sliding the lever to release the latch.

I installed the deflector today on my 24 ZR2 and I’m kinda mixed on how it looks. More importantly,does anyone else have a really hard time sliding the latch to open the hood? The deflector reduces the gap between hood and grill and I had a really hard time sliding the lever to release the latch.
No issues on my end.

I ordered the AVS 25881 and tried to installed it on my 22 ZR2 for 2 hours and could not get it to work. GRRR. it kept on hitting the top of the engine compartment, looked like it had to move more forward but there is no forward/backward adjustment. Also had a real hard time getting the hood to release back open. I keep reading that everybody had no problems with the install so im starting to think i may have the wrong part in the box.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2313.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2313.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: AXE
I ordered the AVS 25881 and tried to installed it on my 22 ZR2 for 2 hours and could not get it to work. GRRR. it kept on hitting the top of the engine compartment, looked like it had to move more forward but there is no forward/backward adjustment. Also had a real hard time getting the hood to release back open. I keep reading that everybody had no problems with the install so im starting to think i may have the wrong part in the box.
Can you adjust the hood bumpstops so it gives you a tiny bit of additional room without getting uneven with the quarter panel?

Are you sure you are installing it correctly? The part number is correct and I have that one as well. It was a bit "tricky" to get it to align the way it needed to but it does fit very well. Take a few pic of where you're running into issues and I'll see if I see anything that looks incorrect.

ZR2 Stone Guard.jpg

Last edited:
Please help me understand what this has to do with a bug deflector? Do you think PPF will prevent your hood from rock chips? I can assure you that it will not.
Yes- that’s what I’ve seen. I’m not doing heavy highway trips. I have some friends who do and they seem to think this makes cleaning bugs off easier and helps with road rash. Is that not your experience?

Yes- that’s what I’ve seen. I’m not doing heavy highway trips. I have some friends who do and they seem to think this makes cleaning bugs off easier and helps with road rash. Is that not your experience?
I was a big fan of PPF and have done Xpel to all of my vehicles since 2010. It’s great for bumpers, but now I save my money and don’t do it on hoods. Ceramic coating your hood, along with the entire truck is a far better investment. Bugs…bird crap…etc., won't hurt the ceramic and the ceramic protects the clear coat. Bugs and crap wipe right off. I am a believer in bumper protection, but PPF is not an end all be all. Do PPF on your front bumper and then ceramic coat the entire vehicle. You’ll be far happier. What some folks don’t realize is that a “bug deflector” or “stone guard” is an awesome piece of gear and will protect your windshield from rock chips as well as bugs as the design is such to have those things pass over the vehicle instead of hitting the vehicle. Nothing is full proof but I am sharing my thoughts as I’ve been doing this for a very long time and have years of real world experience.

I was a big fan of PPF and have done Xpel to all of my vehicles since 2010. It’s great for bumpers, but now I save my money and don’t do it on hoods. Ceramic coating your hood, along with the entire truck is a far better investment. Bugs…bird crap…etc., won't hurt the ceramic and the ceramic protects the clear coat. Bugs and crap wipe right off. I am a believer in bumper protection, but PPF is not an end all be all. Do PPF on your front bumper and then ceramic coat the entire vehicle. You’ll be far happier. What some folks don’t realize is that a “bug deflector” or “stone guard” is an awesome piece of gear and will protect your windshield from rock chips as well as bugs as the design is such to have those things pass over the vehicle instead of hitting the vehicle. Nothing is full proof but I am sharing my thoughts as I’ve been doing this for a very long time and have years of real world experience.
I appreciate that info. That definitely gives me some food for thought.

Please help me understand what this has to do with a bug deflector? Do you think PPF will prevent your hood from rock chips? I can assure you that it will not.
I had Clear Bra on the front of my last HD and Tahoe for 9 years and didn't get any chips. Plenty of flying rocks arouns these parts. Only thing I didn't like was it gets cloudy over time and the edges collect dirt. Also a real PIA to remove.

Most Member Reactions

Back