Camera Don't Shut Off

grw642

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2024 ZR2 in Slate Grey, w/ the 3.0L Duramax last week. Loving everything about these trucks thus far. However, one thing I was surprised about is how when I select the different camera views, they don't turn off when I'm driving. I thought I saw somewhere that once you're rolling, these would give you a 7 second preview before disappearing. Not that I'm complaining, I was just surprised that I can be running 75 down the highway and still have full access to all my cameras. Is this standard or did I just get lucky?

Ok, so what views do you think I’m missing? On my 24 I have the sides both forward and back, front, rear, overhead view, bed view, so I may be missing some like hitch view, but I definitely have most, and they don’t time out. I look forward to your tutelage.
If you go into your camera views, you will see icons at the very bottom of the screen where you can change views. However, as was stated above, you cannot change them when driving.

If you go into your camera views, you will see icons at the very bottom of the screen where you can change views. However, as was stated above, you cannot change them when driving.
I change camera views while off-roading all the time. I go from front to front tires to rear tires. Granted I am going under the speed that causes my camera to time out. Maybe that is the difference?

Reactions: AXE
I change camera views while off-roading all the time. I go from front to front tires to rear tires. Granted I am going under the speed that causes my camera to time out. Maybe that is the difference?
Maybe we are not in sync here, so please allow me to try my best to explain again. When you are in a particular view, and that view gives you multiple views by pressing the same view button 2-3 times, its will not change views. You must put it in PARK, change the view, and then reengage. I have tested this myself several times and this is what's required to change a specific view, while driving, to another view within the same button. We are not talking about going from one view to a totally different button view...but changing the views in a single button. Does this help to make more sense?

The 24s do have a slightly different system. I can go through all my camera views while driving and they stay up till I exit out of them. A tap of the camera shortcut also brings up what ever screen I used last. I don't know how it compares to the 23s. But my HD system is much different than my 22 ZR2 was.

I understand what securityGuy is saying. But I don't think that's the case on mine. Pretty sure I can push the same button and show the different view while driving. I know I don't have to be in park, because I use it all the time when I fold my mirrors. I pull up the side view and switch from front to back while I'm moving. Which requires you to cycle through the views on a single button.

The 24s do have a slightly different system. I can go through all my camera views while driving and they stay up till I exit out of them. A tap of the camera shortcut also brings up what ever screen I used last. I don't know how it compares to the 23s. But my HD system is much different than my 22 ZR2 was.

I understand what securityGuy is saying. But I don't think that's the case on mine. Pretty sure I can push the same button and show the different view while driving. I know I don't have to be in park, because I use it all the time when I fold my mirrors. I pull up the side view and switch from front to back while I'm moving. Which requires you to cycle through the views on a single button.
Can confirm

On mine, I can only bring up rear, front wheels, rear wheels, and bed while driving. When I'm under 5 mph or stopped I can select front and the 360 camera view comes back. If I switch to a view while stopped, it stays up even if it's not selectable.

What exactly is different? They are the exact same infotainment system. The only thing that could possibly be different is the software running on them and, with dealer updates (or OTA) they should truly all be the same regardless. Maybe...just maybe...the HD has slightly different software than a 1500 but I doubt it.

Maybe we are not in sync here, so please allow me to try my best to explain again. When you are in a particular view, and that view gives you multiple views by pressing the same view button 2-3 times, its will not change views. You must put it in PARK, change the view, and then reengage. I have tested this myself several times and this is what's required to change a specific view, while driving, to another view within the same button. We are not talking about going from one view to a totally different button view...but changing the views in a single button. Does this help to make more sense?

Not to contradict the forum’s know it all but I can switch to ALL camera modes WHile driving. I can up load a video if you need.

Can confirm '24. I can turn the cameras on after driving. Switch between them all front and back views of each camera and it won't turn off till I x It out .

Sorry for short video. Had to trim due to size. Not sure of limit. Will play to make it longer

Attachments

• PXL_20240117_233359146~3.mp4
    22.4 MB
Last edited:
What exactly is different? They are the exact same infotainment system. The only thing that could possibly be different is the software running on them and, with dealer updates (or OTA) they should truly all be the same regardless. Maybe...just maybe...the HD has slightly different software than a 1500 but I doubt it.
I wasn't saying the hardware was different. I meant it functions differently than my 22. My camera views work the same driving as they do when I'm parked. That was not the case in my 22. My views timed out after like 8 seconds unless I was towing. I also don't think I had all the same views while towing, but I'm not 100% sure on that. On the 24 I can cycle through all the camera's while driving and there is no timer.

I can drive down the interstate at 80mph with my front camera on and it stays up till I exit out of it. I had a 5 hour drive home from the dealership alone, I played with the camera's a lot, lol. They definitely function differently then my 1500 2022 model with updated software did. But I also have a ZR2 splash screen on both the dash and the infotainment screen on my HD. Which is also different from all the previous year models. The 22s didn't have a ZR2 splash screen at all new. The 23s just have it on the dash not the center screen.

Hey @securityguy, can you please explain??? What exactly am I wrong about??? What could I be missing???
Please, learn me, durn ya!
And please forgive the poor video quality, I was doing all this rolling down the road by myself at 55+ in the dark.

View attachment 9600
Thanks for the video @HighTechPauper. That's very interesting. I have driven several ZR2's and High Country's and not one of them will allow you to select an item and then switch between variations of that item. Must be a software difference as the hardware is all the same. Can you screenshot the software detail from your head unit so I can see what you're running in comparison? Thanks!

Reactions: AXE
Not to contradict the forum’s know it all but I can switch to ALL camera modes WHile driving. I can up load a video if you need.
The forums' know it all? You're a real piece of work. All I have ever tried to do is help people on this forum...even your sorry @$$ whether you needed it or not. I said nothing derogatory in my statement...I was just trying to ensure that we are all on the same page in what we are looking at. That video said it all and now that raises more questions as to why some do it and others don't. Maybe, in the future, you need to keep stop your fingers from typing things you may regret ;) Don't be an @$$!

Most Member Reactions

Back