Ceramic coating

You can buy a nice polisher for well under $200...closer to $150. You can buy quality pads for under $30. Polish is cheap...a great quality polish is under $20. To do iron removal, that cost less than $20 for a bottle. A clay mitt is about $30-$40. You, most likely, already have a good quality soap. They make ceramic paint prep you can buy, but you can also wipe the entire truck down with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol before applying the ceramic. The ceramic itself goes on very easy. Just read the directions and, when it "flashes", you just wipe it off and move onto the next section of paint.

With all of that being said, for under a $250 investment, you can do it yourself and save a TON of money. What it really boils down to is 1. do you have the time? 2. Do you have the patience to spend a day detailing your truck? If you answer YES and YES, than I highly suggest you give it a try. Once you do, you will never take your vehicle to a "professional" ever again unless the paint correction that needs to be done is way more than you want to tackle.
Also, which brand ceramic is seen as "professional"?

I've heard of brands lasting 2-4 months and the pro stuff lasting 5-7 years

WOW that's not bad at all....The only issue I can see in my situation is not having a covered area that can get wet. Mine would all need to be done outdoors
One of the ceramic coating products that i have researched that can go on outside would be the Gyeon Can Coat. I would look at this option to put it on outside. here are the steps i wrote down -- again its not hard at all -- in the decontaminate phase there are different methods...
Steps to Ceramic coat car:

Pre wash
  • Clean wheels / scrub tires / clean face of wheels with mf
  • Rinse entire vehicle
  • Foam up car – let foam work --rinse off
Wash:
1 bucket or 2 bucket method
Foam up vehicle again – then use mitts to wash car.

Decontaminate:
diy detail iron remover with clay mitt…
or
Iron X: spray on whole car including wheels : rinse off
Rinse off iron x after about 2-3 minutes

Then use clay mitt or bar with spray detailer : can do glass as well
Rinse off clay lubricants
Dry car with Microfiber

Polish Car to exfoliate:
Wipe off with microfiber towel
Use IPA to take off any oils from polish etc..

Use ceramic of choice ::

also where are you at in So Cal?

Last edited:
One of the ceramic coating products that i have researched that can go on outside would be the Gyeon Can Coat. I would look at this option to put it on outside. here are the steps i wrote down -- again its not hard at all -- in the decontaminate phase there are different methods...

Pre wash
  • Rinse entire vehicle
Wash:

Decontaminate:
or

Dry car with Microfiber

Polish Car to exfoliate:

That's great and very detailed...Thank You for all of that info!!! I will have to try this method and do some more research on the topic of outdoor work.

I was also thinking about buying a temporary parking shade or booth or even making my own out of PVC and a few tarps from Harbor Freight letting them hang down and making a carport that could be taken down and put back up when needed. That may be my better route.

What's "mf" stand for in the Pre Wash Stage? I mean I know what it could stand for but this isn't that kind of forum :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm on the LA/OC border (Whittier)....and you?

That's great and very detailed...Thank You for all of that info!!! I will have to try this method and do some more research on the topic of outdoor work.

I was also thinking about buying a temporary parking shade or booth or even making my own out of PVC and a few tarps from Harbor Freight letting them hang down and making a carport that could be taken down and put back up when needed. That may be my better route.

What's "mf" stand for in the Pre Wash Stage? I mean I know what it could stand for but this isn't that kind of forum :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm on the LA/OC border (Whittier)....and you?
you wouldnt need a carport if you did the detail early in the morning or on a cloudy day. you just dont want the sun beating down on you while your putting the ceramic coat on. also if you did it in the morning it would give ample time for it to cure - rougly 12 hrs before it might get wet from dew at night

MF means microfiber lol.
down in san diego,ca

I’m a big fan of Shine Supply stuff, the detail shop that put on my ppf uses their products: https://shinesupply.com/collections/coatings/products/beadlock-pro-30ml-kit
They have some good videos with tips about how to apply and maintain ceramic coating, like this two minute overview showing the process:

Here is one showing how to apply their one year coating in detail:
They are in Ventura btw and have a few dealers in the socal area

Last edited:
you wouldnt need a carport if you did the detail early in the morning or on a cloudy day. you just dont want the sun beating down on you while your putting the ceramic coat on. also if you did it in the morning it would give ample time for it to cure - rougly 12 hrs before it might get wet from dew at night

MF means microfiber lol.
down in san diego,ca
Ok that makes sense...start at crack of dawn. The "mf" confused me because you used the entire wording towards the bottom so I figured it's gotta be something else...LOL. SD is nice in some places...or at least used to be a while back. Haven't been down there in a few yrs.

Pre wash
  • Rinse entire vehicle
Wash:

Decontaminate:
or

Dry car with Microfiber

Polish Car to exfoliate:

How much beer you need on ice? Seems like an 18 pack!

What's your guys thoughts on NexGen ceramic coating?

I have that currently but have no issues returning it for the GEYON.

Most Member Reactions

Back